Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Helmet advice from the STW fashionistas
  • markgraylish
    Free Member

Roundhead or cavalier?

Or more relevantly, roadie helmet on a mountain bike v mtb helmet on a roadie: which is less worse?

For some more context, lets assume the mtb is a full endura-sled and the roadie is fully slammed race machine, not a gravel munching mamil chariot and both bikes are being used for the intended purpose, not popping down to Waitrose to pick up some slices of parma ham…

ads678

I don’t like having a peak on the helmet when riding a road bike, other than that MTB helmet will probably be warmer.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Grow your hair long. Ditch the helmet.

The ponytail will protect you.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you’ll permit me to be a little geeky here…

MTB helmet – Mainly vertical vents, which not only work better at lower speeds in terms of heat dissipation, but also as protection from potential tree branch, rocks, etc. Necessarily heavier, again to deal with those potential lower speed and more regular small impacts.

Road helmet – Mainly longer, more horizontal vents, which are better at creating a cooling airflow across the head at higher speeds. Usually lighter, as they are less likely to have to deal with as many small bumps.

Then there’s the peak issue. Riding on drops, at speed, with a peak, is just silly.

A half-way house would be a XC race type helmet, with an easily removable peak.

stevious

Fashion’s got nothing to do with it. If you’re judging someone as a person/cyclist based on the type of hat they’re wearing then your opinion is of little value.

What CFH says about right in terms of venting but I’d personally prefer a road helmet on my MTB as I don’t find the peak of a helmet useful and I don’t fall off very much.

nickc

Fashion’s got nothing to do with it.

apart from the fact that the bicycle industry is entirely fashion lead, of course 😆

RustySpanner

the roadie is fully slammed race machine, not a gravel munching mamil chariot and both bikes are being used for the intended purpose

In that case, whatever your directeur sportif or sponsors suggest.
    🙂

saxabar
    Free Member

Often ride roadie with a peak in autumn/winter. Handy for keeping worst of rain out of eyes.

neilpass
    Free Member

I’ve got a Giro Fathom MTB XC lid that has a removable peak, the helmet is essentially the same as a roadie Atmos (which I also have and a TLD A1 for proper XC type riding)

cookeaa

Does not compute… Shirly the correct answer is ‘both’…

You’ll pay out for two bikes and presumably the lycra and baggies uniforms to accompany either but not the extra for a second lid?

sweaman2
    Free Member

On the basis that more protection is better I feel remarkably exposed using a roadie style helmet on my mountain bike.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Does not compute… Shirly the correct answer is ‘both’…

You’ll pay out for two bikes and presumably the lycra and baggies uniforms to accompany either but not the extra for a second lid?

Sort of but I’m going on holiday and taking my MTB but will also be renting a road bike for a couple of days. Space limits me to taking one helmet only…

I haven’t thought about shoes yet, though. I’m taking my XT SPD’s and have some “touring” shoes which should be compatible with the MTB pedals.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Helmet advice from the STW fashionistas’ is closed to new replies.