• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by 10.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Helium in the tyres Has any weeny tried it ?
  • daznal
    Free Member

as above and would it make any difference?

milkherd
    Free Member

Yes. The main difference I noticed was when jumping as the bike starts to tip upside down.

wwaswas

all the squeaks and rattles from your bike get really high pitched, too.

iain1775
    Free Member

It made my tyres make a high pitched squeal when they went over rocks, 😆 more off-putting than a hope hub

BigJohn

My mate tried helium once. He spoke very highly of it.

CrombieCraig
    Free Member

My mate tried helium once. He spoke very highly of it

Boom Boom

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmm say 6bar,

volume = 6 * (0.023/2)^2 * pi * (0.622 + say 0.10) * 2 * pi

weight = density * volume.

Simples.

A huigh pressure vaccum would be even better though.

lipseal
    Free Member

I’ve thought about it, but you could go all the way and pressurize shock/forks also.

joeh2o
    Free Member

As long as you don’t mind re-inflating them all the time. Helium is going to leak much faster than any other gas (even hydrogen), but it should save you some weight.

It might even save you more weight than switching to Beryllium bottle cage nuts.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anyone remember the American Bicycle Beryllium frame?

Glued together, it was.

lipseal
    Free Member

Found this too….Bike bag

joeh2o
    Free Member

I’d not want to work on putting that thing together – Be is pretty toxic. Considerably lighter than carbon though, but I wonder if that would be offset by having to use more of it. BeAl alloy might be better – still toxic and a pain to work with though.

yunki
    Free Member

I had great success during the ’93 – ’94 race season when I used a sharpened teaspoon to scoop out all the meat from inside my body..

I replaced it with small polystyrene balls.. thus saving nearly six stones (about 38kg)..

This was the equivalent of 3.2 complete bicycles enabling me to ride two at once and still be much lighter than the rest of the field..

I won everything that I entered that year..

tron
    Free Member

Helium would get out of the inner tube at a fair rate. Small molecules isnit.

andyl
    Free Member

Well it stays in party balloons long enough but you would have to keep topping it up and I doubt you would save much weight.

cynic-al
    Free Member

How many guys did you win yunki?

edhornby

have you seen the price of helium? plus the logistic of getting it in there makes it a complete non-starter

duntmatter
    Free Member

lol @ yunki

I considered helium filled tyres, but instead saved a huge weight by waxing my balls. My wife likes the two little Yul Brynners too. Bonus.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Helium in the tyres Has any weeny tried it ?’ is closed to new replies.