Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Helitape & ASR -5 advice needed…..
  • Kryton57

Hi

Has anyone heli-taped the Sides of an ASR-5 / 575 Top tube, just above the shock where the bend in the tube is?

I’ve founds my shorts are rubbing, and would like to protect the frame but the combo of curving the tape over the side to top corner, AND following the curve in the TT is causing me some creasing, even with hairdryer.

I cant see a way out without 2/3 different pieces of tape and an ugly looking job as a result. Its made worse as the bike is white and the edges of the tape attract dirt of course – so I want to minimise edges (by using 1 piece of tape from side, over the top to the bottom of the other side).

Any thoughts?

Paceman
    Free Member

It is possible to cover the whole top and sides of the top tube with heli-tape, i’ve done this on my 575 which has a virtually identical top tube to the ASR-5, although it took two attempts which is costly!

Cut a template out of newspaper or similar (lay it on the frame to check) so you can cut the heli-tape to size BEFORE putting it on the frame. This helped me greatly. Then use a hairdryer and roll the tape onto the top tube carefully. Make sure the area ia dust free etc.

Good luck.

Kryton57

Paceman – did you do the sides all the way down to the bottom edge of the TT? Didn’t it crease at the “bend”?

Any advice on “method”? ie did you stick the full length of the “top” down first, then roll the sides down – or something else?

bigjim

as someone connnnbnn h8gttbpppppppuujb

bigjim

sorry having keyboard problems today! as someone consider an asr-5 is this because you want to protect the paintwork or is it causing damage to the frame itself?

Kryton57

sorry having keyboard problems today! as someone consider an asr-5 is this because you want to protect the paintwork or is it causing damage to the frame itself?

Protect the paintwork. If your actually asking if its soft / cheap paintwork I’ve no idea, I’ve only had it 3 months/10 rides in that time. After a muddy outing I noticed shorts-rub marks in the mud on the TT so want to protect against it.

No damage yet.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Lycra short = no rubbing!

dharmstrong
    Free Member

bigjim – I have the anno black ASR5 and it seems pretty tough paint to me so far (early days of ownership)

Kryton57

Lycra short = no rubbing!

Doesnt look Cool though, does it? 😉

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I did mine there and it was creased at first but after a few days, the creases and air mottling disappear. It does with proper 3M stuff anyway.

alfabus
    Free Member

I did my covert’s top tube, which has a tricky curve and square sides.

best technique for me was to cut the heli tape to very rough size, peel the backing off and dunk the tape in HOT water with a drop of fairy liquid in.

You can then apply it and remove it many times, rewetting it as necessary, stretching it where you need to and cutting around welds etc. If it starts to stick, then rewet it.

When you’re ready, press it into place and then squeegee out the water with a credit card, it will dry and stick perfectly.

Dave

bigjim

cool, I think anno black would be the way I would go, I certainly have no chance of keeping a white bike white!

Paceman
    Free Member

Paceman – did you do the sides all the way down to the bottom edge of the TT? Didn’t it crease at the “bend”?

I used the 100mm wide 3M stuff, got it off Ebay. It almost reaches the bottom of the top tube.

Interesting advice about using hot water above, never tried that.

enmac
    Free Member

I cut the helitape with a little notch. Those edges are fine but the ones on the headtube and seat tube do collect dirt, but I’m not to bothered.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Helitape & ASR -5 advice needed…..’ is closed to new replies.