Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Helicopter Tape -Yes or No?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

Do / would you use Helicopter tape to protect your frame?

If so why, if not why not?

Thanks.

stumpy01

I do.

Initially got it for my spangly Barry White Inbred – seemed a shame to let it get battered too much. Used it mainly on the downtube and was pleased with how easy it was to put on and how durable it actually is.

I have also stuck some on my Stumpy FSR in areas where cable rub is a problem.
    Not sure how easy it will be to remove – but will cross that bridge when I get to it!!

qcamel
    Free Member

No… Its a bike, a machine that evolves and changes, not a sparkly piece of bling to adorn your shed…. Ever been on a ride and stuck to the tarmac to avoid dirt??? Its part of the lifecycle…….

toys19
    Free Member

Umm cable rub, chain rub and shoe wear can kill frames, so yes.

titusrider
    Free Member

yes, carbon frame and chainslap is a dangerous proposition!

hillsplease

Yes. Especially for carbon.

I understand the charming patina of wear on a steel or ally frame isn’t so very helpful with carbon. Given the tape weighs naff all I don’t understand why you wouldn’t. Crank arms etc – why bother IMHO – but to each their own.

Especially as it has got better an no longer yellows (unlike the stuff on my white Heckler. Grr.)

rucknar
    Free Member

Any idea where is best to get the stuff? Just been looking at some stuff to protect my new bike but the little stickers don’t help if your cables move.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Yes – if circumstances demand it. I have some on my Zesty on chainstays as I tend to rub my heels on them and the paint was all coming off. Similarly have some on downtube where car rack clamps. Seems just common sense?

Lifer
    Free Member

No – can’t be bothered, gonna ride this frame till it dies so keeping it pristine isn’t a priority, don’t suffer from cable/chain/heel rub, just chips and scratches from nature.

monkeyboyjc

yes –
    1.to stop cable rub primarily,
    but also
    2. to prevent chipping whist geting in and out of my tight shed. top tube, down tube and head tube (sides) are covered on both my bikes.
    and finally
    3. to help increase resale value – i have tended to change/upgrade frame every 2 yrs or so, a liberal amount of heli tape helps keep the paint looking nice and fresh after 5000 miles in the main rub areas and has helped be get the best value out of my frames.

5thElefant
    Free Member

No. I’m not spending a stack of cash on a carbon frame to save 1/2 lb to then add 1/2 lb of tape to it. A few carbon sticky pads at strategic locations is plenty.

clubber
    Free Member

toys19 – Member
    Umm cable rub, chain rub and shoe wear can kill frames, so yes.

+1

I find it odd that people don’t use frame protectors TBH. I’ve seen loads of frames with cracks/serious damage from rubbing.

kudos100
    Free Member

i have just bought some for my enduro. apparently bikes take a real beating on uplifts, so i thought i’d give her some extra protection.

peachos
    Free Member

Crank arms etc – why bother IMHO

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/damnand-madison-warranty

Any idea where is best to get the stuff?

just got a load from biketart. ordered yesterday and already on my desk.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Helicopter Tape -Yes or No?’ is closed to new replies.