Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Helicopter tape protection for Orange five
  • righog
    Free Member

Andybody got any tips on were to put helicopter protection tape on new Orange fives, are there any places around the pivot that get rubbed.

Also any suggestions on which chainstay protector to get ( or just use a tube etc)

New Five Pro coming next week and i dont want it to suffer the same massive amounts of cable rub that my last couple of bikes have suffered.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I use a Lizard skin chainstay protector fits well, I have noticed some boot rub on the non drive side just along the bottom edge of the swing arm,
    also I have put protection around the area were the tyre runs close to the swing arm, this area gets quite a battering. another area around the rear mech hanger gets rumbled by the chain, I have the maxle rear end if that makes any difference to the area around the mech hanger. and the usual bits a round the head tube.

righog
    Free Member

Thanks Jeffus

That’s great info, You have also brought up another burning question, Should i have gone for the Maxle ? I stuck on most of the Upgrades on The Pro but decieded not to go for the Maxle so I could swap wheels, with my other bikes if needed. I also tested the five over a long weekend at Kirroughtree and Dalbeattie and did not think the back end was that flexy.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I like the maxle system , and with the Hope Evo hubs you just swop the adapters on the outside to change between QR and 12mm, so no problems between bikes. 😀 I rode Dalbeattie a couple of months back what a great place, the 5 handled it well , I had my Float 36’s on and a Van R on the back helped me compensate for my poor riding 😀

righog
    Free Member

Mmmm… Wonder if there is time to get the Maxle added to the build ❓

I loved Dalbeattie, it seemed to start off pretty tame, but had us laughing like Schoolkids at the end !

grantway
    Free Member

I just use clear tape.
    What I did was draw the shape onto A3 paper actual size and added 20mm onto the
    size of the top and bottom section of the arm then cut that out and lay onto the clear tape
    has a template.
    You can use this system to tape up the whole frame and takes minutes and no wastage

righog
    Free Member

Clear Heli tape ?

I was looking at this stuff ( its a Black Frame)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260794066729&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1619wt_1139

But your idea seems good

iainc

righog – I bought a couple of the big Endura ones for mine, but only used them once (well one of them, I never fitted the non drive side one) – my heels don’t rub, so I have a few strategically placed bits of tape. You can have the Endura’s for a tenner for the pair if you want ?

grantway
    Free Member

Yep bought the clear large sheets from onlinebikes

righog
    Free Member

iainc.. Cheers for the offer, but I just bought a couple of swingarm protectors, after the first reply 😐

righog
    Free Member

After all this frame protecting Iam bound to come off first ride and scratch the thing to peices, and probably will only wash it after the first time out :lol:.. Thanks for the replys ( it was my first post)

creamegg
    Free Member

I’ve only noticed cable rub in two places on mine. The usual place around the head tube area and between the shock bracket/mounts. I dont have any protection tape, not even on swingarm and so far it’s not looking too bad.

It will inevitably get scratched, battered and bruised. Dont get hung up on it, its a tool, get out and have fun on it. Oh and i’d recommend a maxle upgrade too id if possible as it’s one upgrade you cant do at a later date.

righog
    Free Member

Cheers Creamegg, I am Kinda regretting not adding the Maxle, i will get in touch with the LBS on Monday and see if i have got time to get one added to the build ( expecting it delivered 17th June), I read that you could get the upgrade after but it would cost £500.

I noticed a Five with a scratch between the shock mounts and thought it was just an odd crash mark.

As for using them as a tool, thats what i have done with all my other bikes and sure the Five wont be any different, just hoping to keep it smart bit longer than the others ( and got really bad cable rub on Fork uppers, did not think it could cut so deep), and also as there is a few weeks waiting time before delivery so ive got a bit of time to think about it.

creamegg
    Free Member

Ive trimmed my brake cables shorter as I have my brake levers further in as only use one finger and then zip-tied brake and shifter cables together and that has stopped them rubbing against the frame. Only you will know if the maxle upgrade is required for the type of riding you do, but the way i looked at it was id rather pay an extra £100 now than £500 in a few months.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I screamed like a girl on some of the rocky bits 😀

I hope you get the chance to upgrade to the maxle 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Helicopter tape protection for Orange five’ is closed to new replies.