• This topic has 11 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Hip.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Helicopter tape on carbon frame
  • Dimmadan
    Free Member

I have recently bought some helicopter tape off ebay and followerd the instructions to the letter and went to the bike this morning to find half of it has either started to come off or is 90% off but only where it goes round the frame. Straight bits are fine.

Is this rubbish quality tape or should I not expect it to be applied to seat stays, head tubes etc?

Is the laquer different on carbon frames?

trail_rat
    Free Member

cheap tape does that – tends to be too thick

I used 3m leading edge tape from the local motor factors 12 quid a roll and doesnt go yellow !

Dimmadan
    Free Member

How much did you get for £12?

trail_rat
    Free Member

quite a bit – no longer have the box tbh – its a motorfactors on a trade account so i suspect it was around 20-25 quids worth of tape – 7 metres rings a bell – was a 10cm wide roll also

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Ahhhhhh, you got any left? ;0)

Hip
    Free Member

Try this

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Cheers Hip, that is rather expensive for a 2m length don't you think?

trail_rat
    Free Member

nah i dont i was using the roll end on my merida – i got it years ago when i did a new downhill frame

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Not to worry, have contacted the seller so we shall see what they say.
    May be £15 down the bog as it is currently held on with PVC tape!

Hip
    Free Member

It is a bit pricey but it works well…

Try looking around for yourself but I would stick with 3M tape, 'buy cheap, buy twice'.

For the best results make sure tape and frame are warm for applying and removing of tape.

MS
    Free Member

Bike tart I have bin using on all my bikes. Doesnt go yellow and protects the frame.

Tape

Hip
    Free Member
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Helicopter tape on carbon frame’ is closed to new replies.