Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Helicopter at Glentress on Sunday
  • slowclimb
    Free Member

While out for a walk up Glentress yesterday with the kids we saw some poor bugger getting lifted by a Sea King. Anybody know what happened and if the guy is alright?

domino

Crashed badly off a jump according to my friend who learned that its wise to stand back from a landing helicopter. No info on if hes okay or not.

hels
    Free Member

I wonder what the FCS charge for a helicopter landing permit ??

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ChrisL

That sucks, I hope they’re OK. I saw the helicopter but as it looked like a search and rescue one rather than an air ambulance I’d hoped it didn’t mean that someone had been badly injured.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

looked like a search and rescue one rather than an air ambulance

MRT will take assistance from whichever is available ChrisL.

domino, your friend’s now witnessed the effects of sufficient downdraft to keep a “7 ton jelly” in the air. I worked with Seakings on a couple of occasions whilst an MRT member, some years ago now. Anything that’s not held down WILL get blown away. Seen a massive rucksac hurled further than you’d believe by this.

redfordrider
    Free Member

I once saw a Chinook landing in a car park as part of a display – dozens of nearby cars were literally pebble-dashed.

a11y

I’ve been too close when the air ambulance landed in the field next to the lower/overflow car park at GT years ago – my mate landed on his head on a jump (in the skills area of all places…). I’m just thankful my car wasn’t at that side of the carpark when all the gravel was blown up…

Hope this rider’s OK. My mate’s crash freaked me out at the time.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Rubberneck

wwaswas

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Oo8IpJwa4[/video]

strackbaz
    Free Member

I was there with a group when it happened, didn’t see it myself, but one of our party called the ambulance which arrived within 10mins. The guy came off badly from the raised tabletop in the jump park right beside the Buzzards Nest carpark.

He got up right away in shock then went down. Luckily a fireman was there to comfort him, we noticed his helmet was cracked and a large tear in his jacket down the length of his spine, he couldn’t move his shoulder and I don’t think he could move much altogether. One of our party stayed with him till the ambulance arrived, who kept him wrapped up. We made our way down to the carpark and about 30mins later the helicopter arrived.

I hope the guy is okay, I know his wife and kids were there. The annoying thing is, myself and the majority of us there didn’t know proper first aid, I made the error of offering the guy ibuprofen and luckily the operator on the phone told us not to administer anything including water.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“I made the error of offering the guy ibuprofen and luckily the operator on the phone told us not to administer anything including water.”

To be fair thats a bit stupid. Ibuprofen takes more than a few mintues to take effect, and do you really think it would make any difference to some one who is seriously injured ?!?!

You obviously did the important thing of First Aid though which is to call 999 and get some one there that knows what they’re doing.

bigjim

I saw the ambulance and helipocter too, always a worry.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

To be fair thats a bit stupid. Ibuprofen takes more than a few mintues to take effect, and do you really think it would make any difference to some one who is seriously injured ?!?!

To be fair, that’s a bit insensitive. They’ve said they had very little first aid knowledge and that they made a mistake. Is there any point in calling their actions a bit stupid?

strackbaz
    Free Member

Funky,

I know now that it was “a bit stupid”, but as stated, I and others there have no first aid training. At that moment we didn’t think the guy was seriously injured as he was talking away, was on one knee leaning against the fence and was complaining of a sore shoulder….the thought process (of an unqualified first aider) was pain relief to a suspected broken collar bone, hence a few of us rummaging about in our packs for pills. Only then as time went on his condition deteriorated.

A lesson learned from this was the fact that our group/club members and I suspect a large majority of riders out there should be completing some form of sport specific first aid training. Believe it or not, I was actually telling this story to an HSE first aid trainer this morning who I work with. I’ve been enquiring about a course he could put together and deliver to our group.

stevemtb
    Free Member

To be fair, that’s a bit insensitive. They’ve said they had very little first aid knowledge and that they made a mistake. Is there any point in calling their actions a bit stupid?

My thoughts too when I read it. If it’s an accident that you can walk away from it can make it a lot easier to get away to the car. Obviously in this case it won’t be wise but in those situations unless you are trained it’s difficult to know what to do.

When it happened to my mate all I could do was ask if he was alright, not much use when someone has knocked themself out. When he was talking and seemed to be breathing ok I then had the clarity to work out what to do next and whether I could steal his bike or not 😈 (he is a regular on here and we’ve both made the joke since that I could have been away with it so not completely insensitive!)

wwaswas

To be fair thats a bit stupid. Ibuprofen takes more than a few mintues to take effect, and do you really think it would make any difference to some one who is seriously injured

When I was admitted to Worthing A&E after falling off on a jump I was given Ibruprofen by the doctor that examined me before he did anythign else – ‘policy’.

He proceeded to prove there was nothing wrong with my leg that was hurting by bendign it in all directions and finally pushing my knee into my chest by putting his weight on it.

As I was insisting it was ‘smarting a bit’ he agreed to get an x-ray done ‘to rule out cracked pelvis’.

Once the x-rays were done he came back a bit sheepish and offered me some morphine “Errrm, it seems you’ve got a broken hip”.

So, in summary offering inadequate pain relief isn’t always done by the rank amateur.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ok so perhaps I didnt need to reiterate what was a stupid decision. However I am not first aid trained either, but know from having accidents myself in the past that you either MTFU and get on with it, or your seriously injured (which you concluded correctly) and Ibuprofen will make no difference to pain levels.

I guess if nothing else a First Aid course would help you feel more in control until professional help arrives. All you can do with some one who is seriously injured is make them as comfortable as possible without making the injuries worse.

gingerss
    Free Member

Moral of the story, mountain biking is dangerous, and more of us should get some first aid training. There are loads of courses about, and even a normal course will help, although there are some advantages to the outdoor specific one. You might even be able to get your employer to pay for it.

Hope the bloke comes out ok.

redfordrider
    Free Member

Apparently there is a first aid room at GT. Anyone know where it is? It’s not manned. I assessed a guy a few weeks ago at GT who came off attempting a jump. The bike store guys were quite helpful.

atlaz
    Free Member

It’s not rare that trail centre first aid is a little bit.. erm.. lacking. The visitors centre at Cwmcarn initially refused to call an ambulance for someone who got hurt when I was there last time. Their first advice was take him to hospital yourself at which point we told them we had no clue where we were nor how to get anywhere. As the guy went more than a little grey, they finally agreed he needed help and called.

singletrackmind

When i set myself on fire i was told to take 400mg of ibuprofen ASAP .
    So its not so silly is it

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

@ atlaz – taking someone to A&E yourself is often the quickest way to get them there. It also avoids taking up the ambulances time. By far the best thing to do with walking wounded

redfordrider
    Free Member

Great. NHS Scotland post code search for hospitals doesn’t appear to be working. Where is the nearest A&E to Glentress?

lizzz
    Free Member

Borders General in Galashiels. TD6 9BS

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Borders General.
    http://www.nhsborders.org.uk/health-services/services/borders-general-hospital7

Ednburgh royal is not far away either really in the great scheme of things and as I live in Edinburgh I’d rather go there.

http://www.nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk/GoingToHospital/Locations/RIE/Pages/default.aspx

Obviously you only take them yourself if you are confident about the level of injury but IMO calling ambulances for walking wounded is wrong.

redfordrider
    Free Member

Thanks.

redfordrider
    Free Member

31 min from GT to Borders General. Worth knowing.

totalshell

i certainly hope that ibuprofen is not compulsory in scotland as it would literally kill me.. so please dont think that just because you take a drug thats its okay for everyone else..

markyfm
    Free Member

You should,t treat a trauma with ibuprofen!

You should administer polo mints !!!!

Northwind

When I broke my hip, I stayed off painkillers etc. Got to A&E, got triaged, they said “Have you taken any painkillers”, I said no, they said “Why on earth not?”

So, there’s obviously room for confusion and no need to be a dick to people about it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have some super duper super strong painkillers I my first aid kit. If I have it with me and I break a bone I am having a couple of them.

legend
    Free Member

Meh, could be worse. I once saw a guy that was adamant that a chicken sandwich was the best thing to fix his girlfriend. Les Gendarm’s were only certain that he needed an ass-whoopin!

bigjim

Well I had a bad crash and an ambulance trip and stay in hospital, and thankfully I wasn’t offered/given Ibuprofen, wouldn’t have been a good idea with my stomach. Turned down morphine, but the dihydrocodeine rocked though 😈

mega
    Free Member

I hope the person is OK

it’s worth getting the st johns app if you have a suitable phone

I don’t know any first aid but that app might be useful one day
    asks you for symptoms and gives basic advice

Gary_C

Borders General in Galashiels. TD6 9BS

I know it well… 😳

turin
    Free Member

Apparently there is a first aid room at GT. Anyone know where it is? It’s not manned. I assessed a guy a few weeks ago at GT who came off attempting a jump. The bike store guys were quite helpful.

IIRC its in the same building that the cafe is in, its one of the doors before the entrance to the cafe

coffeeking
    Free Member

When I broke my hip, I stayed off painkillers etc. Got to A&E, got triaged, they said “Have you taken any painkillers”, I said no, they said “Why on earth not?”

So, there’s obviously room for confusion and no need to be a dick to people about it.

Indeed, I’ve had both after accidents – i.e. one doc saying “good, take these instead” and the other said “why not?!”. I take a couple of codydramol with me in case my lower back gives way like it does at times, or in case of proper injury, but I wouldn’t be offering it to anyone else (first rule of every first aid course I have done). That said, if someone asked for it and I thought they were of sound mind I’d give them anti-inflams to take.

spooky_b329

What is the St Johns app…I can’t see anything obvious on the Android market?

MrsToast
    Free Member

You should,t treat a trauma with ibuprofen!

You should administer polo mints !!!!

Or MrsCoop’s ample bosom, apparently! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Helicopter at Glentress on Sunday’ is closed to new replies.