Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Heckler riders – optimum fork travel?
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Hi all hope you are enjoy the Easter weekend.

I picked up a 2012 Santa Cruz Heckler yesterday and the SC blurb says fork travel 140-170 and I just wondered what people were running there’s at.

I’m thinking 150mm as an all round trail bike but I’m used to riding at 140mm.

And would you recommend a fork with travel adjust? How are Hecklers on the climbs?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fork travel and head angle can vary a lot. There is a lot of long and short forks with the same travel. I have an 09 with long 160s i run a longer shock e2e to compensate. Currently on an old 150 mm 36. In the end what are you trying to do with it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also climbs well with a variety of forks. Not as nice as the vpp range but ok.

acidchunks

I’ve only done one ride on my ’13 Heckler but the 140mm revs I fitted felt right. I’m using an external bottom headset cup to keep the head angle slack.

Several of my mates also ride Hecklers, the consensus is they climb well provided you’ve got a decent level of fitness.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Brilliant bike. Miss mine alot! I ran it with a 2010 TALAS 150 RLC.

carlos
    Free Member

150 Revs on this one. I love the way it rides both up and down and gets ridden everywhere round The Peak, Wales and NW, trail centres and natural, took it to the Alps last yr and rode all sorts. I had 140 Pikes on my last one without issue too.

I would like to try some 170 DP Lyrik’s, but more than happy with the Rev’s

tpbiker
    Free Member

I reckon with 140s it might be a bit on the steep side as I don’t think the 2012 model has the new HA. I ran mine with 150s and it still felt a bit on the steep side, then fitted an angleset and it felt perfect.

Then I threw on some 160 forks and pretty much ruined it. It went downhill brilliantly, but lost what little climbing ability it had.

so in summary, 150 mm and angleset for the win…

scruff
    Free Member

150 55’s on mine, previously had Lyriks wound down to 145.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I have 150mm u-turn sektors. I need a headset so should I be going with an angleset?

What is the best option. I’ve never ran one before so I don’t really understand them.

Cheers

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Oh and the 2012 frame geo shows a head angle of 67.5 rather than the 69 I thought.

superfli
    Free Member

Run my 09 with long 160 XFusion Vengeance. Id did have 150 revs on, but I thought the HA was too steep. Slackset helped, but I wasnt happy with the quality of it and flex at front. So much better now with 36mm stanchions and 20mm bolt through. Climbs just as well IMO, no issues at all and no need to drop the front (although I cant anyway!)

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

ive got 150mm 20mm maxle Sektors.

Not really sure what to do now. Do i go straight with the angleset or try a standard headset and buy twice if i hate the head angle.

Hmmmmmmm

acidchunks

Why not buy a 2nd hand headset in case you don’t like it?

Provided you don’t pay over the odds and take care on installation/removal you should be able to get most of your money back if you decide its not for you.

I’d suggest a standard would be most suitable if you want to ensure the bike will climb well.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah acid, cheers.

Im going to fit a standard (MX Pro) and see how it rides. I wan’t to be able to climb and my Trance had a 69 head angle so maybe it will be ok.

I can always get an angleset if need be.

Cheers everyone. Really helpful.

dantsw13

You could also try a set of Burgtec offset shock bushings – £35 from Biketart. They will slacken your headset by 1 degree on a heckler. If you try but don’t like, I’m pretty sure you could sell them in pretty easily.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

with my 150mm sektors with a crown to axle measurement of 530mm the Santa Cruz geo sheet shows a head angle of 67.5.

Is that right? I thought Hecklers were around 69?

http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/geometry/2012/heckler.asp

rob2
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2011 model with 150mm revs. It’s nice but I’d go Angleset as it is a tad steep.

If you are near reading/Oxford you can try mine to see what you think (medium )

dantsw13

The newer models have a slacker HA I think. That chart says 67.5, for a 529mm A-C fork, which is about right for a 150 Sektor.

I had a 2007(old style) Heckler with a 150 Rev, and that was good for the Alps last year, and fine on climbs too. That was my ride everywhere bike.

This year I’ve changed to a 2010 Heckler which I posted up the other day.

Which has Marzocchi 55 160 forks and the offset bushings. It goes down like a train, but is a little wandery on the climbs. It is purely an Alps/ Enduro build though.

For an all rounder, the Sektors will be spot on IMHO.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’m getting confused as to when they made the change! Mine was a 2011 model and it had a 69 degree angle based on a standard 140 fork, so about 68.5 with a 150 fork.

The newer one is 1 degree slacker. Didn’t they make the change at the same time as they introduced the tapered steerer? Does yours have a tapered steerer?

accu
    Free Member

just sold my 2009 heckler…and got my new 2013 frame last week…
    the change of the geo was from 2012 (69 HA) to 2013 (67.5) together with the tapered headtube and ISCG05 mounts..( + decals under clearcoat now and different TT shape..)
    was very happy with my old one ..several times in the alps, was a bit steep with pikes but perfect with an old 150mm marzocchi Z1 FR1
    now I´m looking forward to build up the new frame..

and..these ones are a good alternative to burgtec bushings..
    http://www.offsetbushings.com/

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

The geo I posted above says 2012. I’m gonna run a standard 1 1/8 headset with the sektors at 150 and see how it goes.

dantsw13

You’ll be fine!!

dantsw13

That setup handled the Les Gets/Morzine DH runs last year, not sure what you are planning for it? It was also fine around local trails/Friston/Swinley.

dantsw13

Accu – not sure if you saw my “What Alps bike” thread a few days ago – there are loads of Hecklers on that, including mine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also….
    150mm forks all have different axle to crown measurements. I have had some long short travel forks, short long travel, long long and short short. This makes it not an exact science. Also forget all the fashion HA must be crap, it changes when you sit on it, and depends on how you set it up, what you do etc.

In all honesty, take the fork you have and fit it. Ride the bike then make changes.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

In all honesty, take the fork you have and fit it. Ride the bike then make changes.

This is my plan of action.

Zaskar93
    Free Member

Got a 2010 medium Heckler with DHX5 Air shock and 150mm Revelations and it is a great all round bike; climbs well, tracks well on the trails and descends, jumps and drops nicely too. Been to a couple of Lakes trail centres as well as Dalby, Coed y Brenin and Llandegla and ride her regularly round home (Pennines). Better, more capable bike than the rider! Depends what you want from your bike; with the new slacker head angle and a 160mm fork it might not climb quite as well but maybe if you get an adjustable fork like a TALAS or U-Turn that would sort that and the descents would be peachy.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Heckler riders – optimum fork travel?’ is closed to new replies.