Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Heckler / Nomad shocks?
  • looneylunn
    Free Member

I have a heckler with an RP23 and will hopefully be purchasing a second hand Nomad soon, which has a rock shox monarch. I believe both are are 215 x 63. Can I put the RP23 on the Nomad?

I ask because I was told that the shock sizes were different and the bikes have different pivot designs?

Whada fink?

Ta

Steve

mbydmt
    Free Member

When I had a Heckler ’06 model, I’m 99% sure the shock size was 200×57 as I swapped the shocks over from my Meta 6.6 which was the same.
    According the S/C site:
    “What size shock does the Heckler use?

8.5” x 2.5” (216x 63mm)
    The mounting hardware is 22mm wide with an 8mm through hole.”

What size shock does the Nomad use?

8.5” x 2.5” (216x 63mm)
    The mounting hardware is 22mm (21.8mm for rockshox products) wide with an 8mm through hole.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

You are correct, shocks are the same size so they are interchangeable.
    What will be different is the tuning of each shock which was factory set and will be different for each suspension design.
    Easiest thing to do is swap it over and give it a try, if you can’t get it set up right then you may want give Mojo a phone to discuss a service and setup for the Nomad.

nodrog2
    Free Member

What jockhaggis said.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

nomads in particular need midstroke support, which the large air can Fox (in particular the DHX Air) are famous for not giving. You might want a re-tune, a smaller air can sleeve or more compression damping on the RP. Try it first but it will probably feel like it blows thru its travel and sits further in it than the heckler.

Is it a Mk1 or a newer 2nd Gen VPP? The Mk1s climb like dogs in the granny ring, every pedal stroke compresses the lower VP link effectively shortening the chain stay by about 3/4″. The newer ones are more neutral. I hated mine so much (a Mk1 and my dream bike) I sold it for a single pivot (nearly got a heckler, ended up getting an Alpine 160). Hope you enjoy it but be warned (the Mk1 also gets thru bearings quicker than the newer ones, at 90 quid a set…).

looneylunn
    Free Member

Thanks fellas.

The frame I’ll be getting is a Mk 2. I think I’ll give mojo a call to see what they say but I’ll certainly give it a go. I thought I was going to have to sell the Heckler to fund the Nomad but as it turns out I don’t need to. So if it all goes T!ts up and I don’t like the Nomad, I can just put the Hecker back together.

P.s keep your eye out for a Heckler or Nomad for sale in the Classifieds!

Thanks again

Steve.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

the Mk2 is supposed to be a vast improvement with little pedal interaction as they changed the position of the lower link, and the bearings are much more durable. Hope you get on with it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Heckler / Nomad shocks?’ is closed to new replies.