Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Heavy tools trials frame
  • neilmon
    Free Member

Hello,
    Can anyone advise me on wether or not i can get a 3 piece crank for a 52mm bb?

neilmon
    Free Member

or the bb size for this frame please

scunny
    Free Member

The bottom bracket will be 68mm or 72mm.

Yes, you’ll need a euro bb, one like this for example:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/odyssey/euro-bb-ec021294?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

But first you’ll need to pick some cranks as you’ll have a 19mm (profile/DMR/Wethepeople) or 22mm (primo/odyssey) axle to pick from. After that you’ll be able to buy the correct bb.

neilmon
    Free Member

the lad has a shimano 52mm in at the moment

scunny
    Free Member

They don’t exist.

neilmon
    Free Member

This was what he said mate. If i remeber right its a Shimano UN52 bottom bracket so i guess its 52mm

neilmon
    Free Member

so thats 68mm right?

scunny
    Free Member

Ahhhhhhh.

Nah, UN52 is just the model number. They did a UN52 and a UN72 (think deore/XT). The numbers don’t represent shell size.

Either way, if you buy a euro bb for BMX style cranks (which is what i presume you’re taking about) it’ll come with the correct amount of spacers to fit either size bb shell.

neilmon
    Free Member

Right i get you,
    I was looking at this set?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=60722

scunny
    Free Member

Yeah, they’ll fit. But honestly, i wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DMR-CULT-BMX-DIRT-JUMP-CRANKS-175MM-WHITE-19MM-SPINDLE-/250834712620?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3a66e9f82c#ht_500wt_1156

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUPER-LIGHTWEIGHT-DIAMONDBACK-3-PIECE-BMX-PRO-CRANK-SET-/270730836913?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item84b7af42f0#ht_788wt_907

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stolen-Team-3-Piece-BMX-Cranks-Green-/110523672832?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item19bbb96900#ht_500wt_1156

All of these are lightyears ahead in quality. But just remember you may need to buy a Euro BB to fit them, the cranks i’ve listed are all 19mm spindle which allows for the bb to contain larger bearings (better!). Primo cranks are indestructible, but they run a 22mm spindle which make the bearings in a euro bb tiny so they’re best avoided unless you’re running a Mid BB.

spev

I see nothing wrong with the Octane One cranks , I’d always opt for a pinch bolt for a little extra security. I’ve used a similar “budget” crank with no issues (Gusset EXP).

scunny
    Free Member

The pinch bolt allows for movement on the spindle, allowing the fit to warp under stress. Primo have a pinch bolt but offer a hex design axle, as opposed to the 8 spline found on most cheaper BMX pinch cranks.

Just my opinion (8 years riding BMX), so do as you will. But at least we’ve sorted the bb issue.

– After some internet hunting, it would seem your frames got a 68mm bb

neilmon
    Free Member

well ive only run trials on mission cranks (square)
    I was under the impression spline were the stronger option but all depends on quality i suppose.
    what about the pig cranks?
    also thanks for the help do you have a link to the frame at all?

scunny
    Free Member

I presume you mean FSA pig?

I’ve not heard about them for ages, but i remember picking a set up about 5 years ago and thinking they were made of forged iron.

would you be able to post a link to the frame you’re buying?

If i’m correct then it’s a catalogue frame, the same as a baracuda subway, Brand X (crc) and many others. I had one way back when, not a bad frame.

scunny
    Free Member

Yeah that’s the one. frame with a thousand names (that doesn’t mean it’s bad though)

I’d look at some old isis cranks personally (truvative husselfetl etc), BB’s last longer, cheaper, in most cases just as strong.

neilmon
    Free Member

what other names does it come under mate?

juiced
    Free Member

this forum never ceaaes to amaze me – 🙂

scunny
    Free Member

I cant think off the top of my head. Each one had different gusset’s etc, but search for Barracuda Subway, Brand X (crc sold them about 1/2 years ago) even the identiti frame has the same specs.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I had fsa pigs on my bmx – the pedal thread broke off accelerating from some traffic lights – i dont mean stripped i mean the last 3 cm of the crank snapped off – how ever they had alot of punishment in the skatepark at jumping stairs etc before that

neilmon
    Free Member

After a good old search i have now opted to give this frame a wide berth after reading how many re-brands there are and how shoddy the welding is.

Thanks for the info.

I have just bought a goose ritual heavy but steel 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

heavy tools was the original and possibly the best iteration of the framer.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I had this frame. It was, by far, the most sturdy bit of kit I’ve ever owned.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Heavy tools trials frame’ is closed to new replies.