• This topic has 62 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Kip.
Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Heating the house… urban myth?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Dont make your children as soft as you eh

Lil Grips doesn’t seem to care much about temperature generally, she is a hot little thing. Mrs Grips worries much more than I do about putting jackets etc on her (although not overly). It’s more in the interests of getting a full night’s kip than being soft on her. If her room is cold then she can wake up whining with seriously icy little hands and possibly feet.

footflaps

“Surely it depends on exactly how long you leave it off. IF you have it on for 4 hours a day and off for 20 then it will be better cheaper than leaving it on for 24. ALternatively if you have it on for 20 and off for 4 It would probably make very little difference having it on continuously.”

The heat loss is proportional to the temp differential so the longer you have the house warmer, the more energy lost. Continual heating = continual loss at max temp differential ie maximises losses.

takisawa2

I fitted a timed thermostat so ours is on all the time, just timed to different temps throughout the day. For us, I cant say it costs more than off-on, but our house is a 60’s ex-council semi with concrete walls (no wall insulation). If the house retained more heat the off-on would probably be cheaper as it would lose less heat & would heat-up quicker. If our heating goes off the place goes very cold & takes hours to heat back up.

glenp
    Free Member

I’m astonished how hot people think they must have their house. Especially reading these comments on the home of MTFU! And blaming it on cosseting the kids! What a laugh – how the hell do you think mankind got to this point? 20 degrees indoors all year round is an product of this current generation only. Go back 30 years and most people were unaware that such extravagance and softness was even possible.

My parents still live in the house I was born in (indeed the house my dad was born in). There is no heating at all apart from a Rayburn and log burner downstairs. No double glazing, no loft insulation. Plenty of ice indoors. I survived it, as did my brother and sister – as did dad and his five siblings.

Taff
    Free Member

My gas boiler is set for 19 degrees but is now on for most of the day. last year I had it set to come on and heat the house from 5.30 until 10.30 weekdays and then most of the day on weekends. this year I have had the heating on low from 6.30 to 10 and the house is toasty and I have the same kW/h usage I had last year. My Dad has done the same with oil and he thinks he’s made a saving.

I don’t want my house boiling but I don’t want it too cold. I like chilling in the house wearign shorts and a tshirt but I’m equally happy in my chav pants and a fleecey hoody.

stever
    Free Member

Physics says no, everything else is just cosyness.
    Do you find it uses less petrol to leave the car engine running overnight too?

5lab

on a slightly related note, do radiators ‘degrade’ over time? Our living room rad is short (sits under the window sill) but fairly wide (6′ or so) and ‘double thickness’, but the room is noticably cooler than others, even with the valves open full. Would replacing like for like improve things (my knowledge of these things suggests no) or do I need to find a way of upping the BTUs?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m astonished how hot people think they must have their house.

I don’t think they think they “must”, more “I can have it at 21, so I will”.

Physics says no, everything else is just cosyness.

Nicely put. Though I should have left my car running the other night, after a sustained -20 all night it wouldn’t start 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Go back 30 years and most people were unaware that such extravagance and softness was even possible.

And, according to my folks, it was pretty f’in miserable most winters! My Nan had to get up at 5am before everyone else to light the fire. Do you do that?

tankslapper
    Free Member

What a fascinating modern era we live in

Let’s all turn the clock back to 1920 and FREEEZZZZEEE!
    😛

glenp
    Free Member

There is some middle ground! Somewhere in between freezing and swanning about in your pants in the depths of winter. The world is a mad place when we are so soft that we can’t tolerate being indoors with a jumper on.

And then people moan because fuel is expensive.

And. Some of the same people are all full of “mtfu” advice on other subjects!

Jeez. Some middle ground is all.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Middle ground on STW………? 😆

Taff
    Free Member

you don’t really have to heat the thermal envelope of a car to keep you warm though do you. If I did keep it on all night then my road might thaw out a little quicker

elaineanne
    Free Member

my heating is on and im still cold….lol i live in a victorian terrace where the ceilings are pretty high and rooms are big.. warm in summer and freeeezing in winter… gud job the whippet keeps me toastie warm snuggled next to me at nite ! 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

We have been pondering turning off the house heating during the day, and using the leccy radiator in the GF’s home-office only.

The difference in volume between her office and the whole house is ~1/10th, while the cost uplift per unit of using the leccy rad is x5. So that suggests a 50% cost saving over the day-time period.

Thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

except buzz that doesnt take into account the additional energy you need to sink in to the fabric of the cold house at the end of the day to get it up to comfort temperature again for the evening.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

To heat your home economically and still have it warm take a look at Weather compensators. We’ve had one fitted with our new fully modulating boiler. Dare I say it, awesome bit of kit. There is an outside temp sensor that measure outside air temp and constantly adjust the flow temp of your heating to maintain a constant temp in the house. It learns how quickly your house warms & cools so it knows when to gently start heating again. On a scale of 0-5 in boiler power (5 is the highest) ours rarely gets above 2. On a standard boiler/room stat setup you more or less modulate between 0-1 (1 being full pelt)

Its cut our gas usage in half from our old boiler.

Rockape63
    Free Member

It is conclusive that if you leave your heating on permanently rather than timed that you will pay more.

It’s not so much about the heat being created as the heat loss. All heat is absorbed through the fabric of the building over a period of time, so when your heating is on, you are losing it through the walls/windows/ceiling. The longer it is on the more you lose!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“except buzz that doesnt take into account the additional energy you need to sink in to the fabric of the cold house at the end of the day to get it up to comfort temperature again for the evening.”

I understand: insulation plays a big part to whether cycling is efficient. The warmed walls slowly radiate their heat both internally and externally as they cool. Even with the heating system off for a further 8 hours during the day, the inside of the house will only drop to ~ +10 degrees, as it does overnight. And the internal air is very quickly brought up to comfort temperature, while the walls are being slowly re-heated.

At the end of the day, I’m avoiding pointlessly heating 10/10ths of the house for a 1/3rd of the day, and another 9/10th’s of the house for a further 1/3rd of the day.

But more importantly, the GF just said “No”. So much for the laws of physics!

hitman
    Free Member

To heat your home economically and still have it warm take a look at Weather compensators. We’ve had one fitted with our new fully modulating boiler. Dare I say it, awesome bit of kit. There is an outside temp sensor that measure outside air temp and constantly adjust the flow temp of your heating to maintain a constant temp in the house. It learns how quickly your house warms & cools so it knows when to gently start heating again. On a scale of 0-5 in boiler power (5 is the highest) ours rarely gets above 2. On a standard boiler/room stat setup you more or less modulate between 0-1 (1 being full pelt)

Its cut our gas usage in half from our old boiler.

Sounds interesting – any particular product? How easy is this to fit?

glenp – Member
    I’m astonished how hot people think they must have their house. Especially reading these comments on the home of MTFU! And blaming it on cosseting the kids! What a laugh – how the hell do you think mankind got to this point? 20 degrees indoors all year round is an product of this current generation only. Go back 30 years and most people were unaware that such extravagance and softness was even possible.

My parents still live in the house I was born in (indeed the house my dad was born in). There is no heating at all apart from a Rayburn and log burner downstairs. No double glazing, no loft insulation. Plenty of ice indoors. I survived it, as did my brother and sister – as did dad and his five siblings.

Mong – my thermostat is usually above 20 deg in Winter. This is because it gets the house to a lovely warm temperature where I feel comfortable and I want to have it at that temp. I don’t, however moan about fuel bills.

I used to live in a house that had ice on the inside of the windows in Winter and it was effin ‘orrible.

Just for the record, I work outside in minus whatever it has been just lately, so no, I won’t be MTFUpping any time soon.

As for heating.our combi gets the house up to temp in about 30 mins, so on that basis the timer is set prior to us getting up and getting home from work.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

I think it depends on your boiler. Most of the big manufacturers offer an add on kit for their own products.

We’ve gone for a remeha broag boiler, this has the WC built in, you just need to add the external temp sensor which costs £15.

It was 2 wires for the temp sensor and 2 wires for the starship enterprise style controller.

Kip

Molgrips:
    Can really recommend the Grobag sleeping bags (other brands are available just make sure they have zips all the way round the bottom and are long enough). They snapper over the shoulder and don’t have arms. Baby Kip has a 2.5tog one and when it’s nippy (as at the mo) she’s in a short sleeve vest, babygrow, fleecy babygrow and grobag. sounds like alot but her hands stay warmish and her legs/feet are also warm. Also means she can’t kick it off…genius.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Heating the house… urban myth?’ is closed to new replies.