Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Heating oil – normal or premium?
  • andyl
    Free Member

Just about to order 1000L of heating oil to top up for winter. Never had oil heating before and wondering if is worth the £20 for premium over regular or will we struggle to see much/any benefit? We have a new WB combi.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Regular burning oil, aka standard burning oil, aka kerosene etc I don’t think any domestic heating boilers run on PBO (or certainly anybody bothering with it as an alt) and would probably warn against experimenting with it (could be akin to putting diesel in a petrol car). Some domestic boilers run on Gas Oil tho, so you need to be sure which it runs on…most run on kerosene/RBO/SBO

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve just quickly looked into it and it appears you can do it, but in the years I worked as a rep for BFL (now CPL petroleum) I don’t recall any large sales of PBO for domestic use, it wasn’t an option we offered at the time, seems an unnecessary luxury to me.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Are you sure the dif is only £20 per 1000L? there used to be a much bigger price gap, maybe that’s why they are offering it as a lower emissions alternative these days.

andyl
    Free Member

yup, 58.67PPL v 60.80PPL inc. vat

Either should be fine, just one is touted as being ‘better’.

Hoping to get away with 1 tank a year as it’s only going to be used for heating (2 bed fully double glazed bungalow) and hot water (but not shower) but we shall see!

stu170
    Free Member

I think you will just about get 1k litres to last year if you dont have the heating on sky high.

househusband

Would a domestic boiler have to have some kind of ‘smart’ burner/injection system to adjust accordingly – or is the premium stuff just cleaner/greener..?

tonto
    Free Member

It makes the radiators come alive 🙂

(someone had to say it)

househusband

😆

northernmatt

I’ve just ordered a 1000L at work and it’s getting on for £120 more than what you’re paying. Might have to have words with the supplier as we go through quite a bit as it feeds a warm air heater in the warehouse as well as a Combi for the office heating & hot water.

br
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a 1000L at work and it’s getting on for £120 more than what you’re paying. Might have to have words with the supplier

Why, unless you didn’t shop around.

We only have two suppliers in our area, so just ring both for a price – in October it was 61.026ppl inc vat for 1000l.

But the price can change tomorrow, up or down.

andyl
    Free Member

1300L tank which already has 1/4. Fingers crossed it will do 1 year. No thermostat though (only TRVs) so if I think we are lacking control over the heating I’ll ask for a thermostat come boiler service time.

matt: I just got quotes from Boilerjuice, heatingoil and direct oil websites. All pretty similar (last one actually £10 cheaper on checking). Might order 1100L just to be safe as they refund for any that you can’t take but won’t allow you to add more if it’s still not full.

northernmatt

We are limited to who we can buy from as being a slow moving multinational we have to purchase everything electronically via a portal and getting another supplier added to it takes months.

mucker

Guys your prices are way out, we got a top up of not even 1k litres so usually costs more, we paid about 51ppl in mid october.
    Mrs Mucker says to always get three quotes, check out prices on boilerjuice, although we always pay less than they say.

Spin
    Free Member

Does Premium anything not equate to a gullibility tax?

br
    Free Member

Guys your prices are way out, we got a top up of not even 1k litres so usually costs more, we paid about 51ppl in mid october.
    Mrs Mucker says to always get three quotes, check out prices on boilerjuice, although we always pay less than they say.

Please read the post. We only have two suppliers who cover our area, so it’s pretty irrelevant what price you can get, as I can’t get it. I’m sure this is exactly the same across the country, to varying degrees.

pirahna
    Free Member

Paid 51p a litre this week. Shop around.

jerseychaz

Please read the post. We only have two suppliers who cover our area, so it’s pretty irrelevant what price you can get, as I can’t get it. I’m sure this is exactly the same across the country, to varying degrees.

Isle of Wight perchance?

br
    Free Member

Isle of Wight perchance?

No, Scottish Borders.

Paid 51p a litre this week. Shop around.

Where?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Before or after vat

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Does Premium anything not equate to a gullibility tax?

PBO is genuinely a more refined oil than RBO/SBO/kerosene (think in terms of the old days when you could buy 2star, 3star, 4star grade petrol). The next step up the distillation process from PBO is petrol. It will definitely burn cleaner, but the boiler will be designed to work with regular stuff and your still going to want to have it serviced reasonably regularly. You’d probably have to ask a heating engineer whether it will make the radiators come alive or use less oil for the same generated heat.

MrNutt
    Free Member

ok, just moved into a place and the bloody tank is empty! whats the cheapest price? (Devon/Somerset)

Sui
    Free Member

Stick some boiler additives in at the same time, I can recommend FAST exocet chaps. It will keep things running clean.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Is it a bit like redex for your boiler ? If so im out.

MrNutt
    Free Member

51??? me thinks someone is fibbing, 53.5p is what we’re paying

woffle
    Free Member

Blimey. I think last time I looked the best I could get down here in Sussex was about 60p inc. VAT. And that was ringing around / boilerjuice etc.

That was about 6 weeks ago – are prices that volatile?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Heating oil – normal or premium?’ is closed to new replies.