Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Heated gloves – what to go for?
  • ivnickkate
    Free Member

Has anyone tried heated gloves? I commute by bike, and I always arrive at work with 2 frozen fingers [ lack of circulation, caused by dislocated shoulder, yup bike crash ].

Any ideas because merino liners and 2 pairs of gloves haven’t worked this last fortnight.

andrewh
    Free Member

Just bought a pair of the Blazewear heated gloves.
    Not good so far.
    Been charitable and blamed batteries so not sent them back yet. If they don’t work with a brand new set of Duracells tomorrow I’ll be returning them.

Northwind

Gerbing are good. The only downside is you’d probably need to fit an engine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andrewh
    Free Member

Can you hook up a 12v supply to a dynamo?

Northwind

I did think about sticking a motorbike battery in my rucksack, but I’m not sure how well that’d work.

scaredypants

my mrs uses blazewear ones for skiing – seem OK for her but actually biking over the last few wks is prob worse for cold hands than skiing is

takisawa2

Get two lengths of solid steel bar, about 1/2″ dia. Put them in the oven for half hour before work, pop them in each side of your bars.
    Voila.

Ambrose

@takisawa2- BRILLIANT idea 🙂

MRanger156
    Free Member

Ski/snowboard gloves (unheated)?

RealMan
    Free Member

Get two lengths of solid steel bar, about 1/2″ dia. Put them in the oven for half hour before work, pop them in each side of your bars.
    Voila.

Love the ingenuity, but no good for drop bars, and I’m guessing you’d have to take the grips off. Don’t think carbon bars would be very good either, rubbish at conducting heat.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Takisawa2, that’s better than my idea this morning, hit fingers with hammer. So I have sent for these http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/warmawear-deluxe-heated-gloves-p-5241.html

elaineanne
    Free Member

heated gloves ? is there alink so i can have a look or laugh…
    😉
    why not try some sealskins… they worked for me all last winter..
    heated gloves indeed…whatever next.. 😉

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Hi E-A, today -15, merino liners, then sealskinz winter gloves,then cheapo ski-gloves. Result – still 2 out of 10 frozen fingers. 😳

Nevermind, more physio/ ultrasound on shoulder this week, hopefully this will help circulation in fingers, at least I can use them now. After my first dislocation, I had the writing skills of an Elephant.

Link for a laugh is above. Just checked outside thermometer, -16, 🙄

myheadsashed

Buy some ice climbing gloves…..never had cold hands on mine.

boxelder

Lobster type gloves with two fingers in the same bit of glove.
    Pricey but how much for the heated ones + batteries?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Skiing gloves from TH Maxx. Good enough for -25 degrees. Or fit muffs.

andy7t2
    Free Member

i’ll have a couple of those fit muffs HC not sure how they’ll keep me warm but mighty fine for viewing purposes 😯

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

[ lack of circulation, caused by dislocated shoulder, yup bike crash

Surely your fingers are the least of your worries if you are riding with a dislocated shoulder 😉

A bit OT, but having dislocated my shoulder 7 times now, I suffer with the cold in my hands (not just the hand on the bad shoulder side) and my parents both have poor circulation and circulation illnesses and I have put it down to that. Did your dislocation cause a specific circulation problem or is this a side effect? Not something I have ever heard and curious!

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Buffalo Mitts. £20 and versatile. Get them a size larger and put your favourite summer gloves under them if you want more padding. Toasty fingers on yesterdays commute at -6.5C, though I was using liners as well just to make sure, don’t really need them though.

Northwind

I think yesterday was the first time my snowboarding gloves haven’t been warm enough for the bike. Then again it was -11 before windchill so that’s fair enough. I’ve got crap circulation so normal bike gloves just don’t come out in weather like this

I’m sure Maplin used to sell a heated underglove that could be powered by a pack of AAs?

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Hi Jackass123456789, This information is what I remember from the consultant and physio, a bit long-winded, but:-

My dislocation was posterior [backward], and trapped the nerves/ligaments that operate fingers. Appartently the longer you leave the dislocation until it is put back in, the longer your arm takes to recover. Hence, forefinger and thumb, not working.

So, my idea of not calling the mountain rescue, was not a good one, especially when I later learned that they were training in the same area. Also, they said that they would like to rescue a living person for a change.

Anyhows, a 4 mile walk, then picked by wife in car, ended up in a 6 hour delay in reseting the shoulder.

The damage to nerves take approx 1mm per day to repair, and the length of your arm takes 18 months. Nicely, if you leave it too long it can stop ciculation in your arm and possibly result in amputation.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Heated gloves – what to go for?’ is closed to new replies.