Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Heart Rate Monitors and Training Plans (Roadie Content Warning)
  • kennyp
    Free Member

One of my plans for 2011 is do to some more sportives, but finish them in a better time this year. Given that Mrs Kenny is unlikely to sanction an increase in my overall training time, I’ve decided that quality training rather than quantity training is the way ahead.

To that end I’m thinking of getting a heart rate monitor. I pretty much know the one I want, but what I am wondering is, what training plans (books, websites etc) do people use to get the most out of them? I’m looking to do the Fred Whitton again (but with less walking hopefully), so would like something like a 12 week sportive plan with lots of hill work.

Or do folk just tend to make their own plans up?

I know this is more of a roadie question, but thought I’d try on here first as it’s my main first stopping place for bike advice. I know there is tons of advice out there, but would like something concise, straightforward and effective.

Jase
    Free Member

I create one based on Friel’s Training Bible book.

Some mags sometimes have plans in them i.e cycling for health & fitness.

trickydisco
    Free Member

i’ve got the friel training book as well. I got hold of a pdf of Peter reid’s black book (email if interested) which is very comprehensive.

Essentially to train effectively you need to work out your HR zones. There are suggestions in both books on how to work this out. From there you can train each of these zones.

quote from pete read’s black book

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

The January edition of Cycling Plus has some useful info on training with a HRM.

Teifiterror
    Free Member

Get yourself a copy of Joe Friel’s cycling bible linked above, will give you all the information you need and more. It takes a bit of time to go through and understand but will help you for years to come.

kennyp
    Free Member

Thanks for those various replies. I’ll check the book out, and also check out that C+ article. From what I’ve read it mostly seems to be about doing short, sharp intense intervals some days, having easy or complete rest days on others, with the odd ride of aroun 40% – 60% of the target sportive thrown in at the weekend.

Is that not too far off the mark?

cynic-al
    Free Member

More or less but you need to build up gradually, have an easier week in 4.

I found the Friel stuff too detailed and off putting.

Duc
    Free Member

“Training plans for cyclists” is pretty good and has enough in there to create your own after a bit of time

Its pretty easy to read too

dobo
    Free Member

have you tried to ride your bike at 123bpm average, cant do it unless you have a triple or no hills

trickydisco
    Free Member

that’s why a lot of my base training has been on the rollers or gym bike (what little i’ve managed)

but then my level 1 ‘base’ zone is 125>144

There’s a misconception that base training is easy. Keeping my heart rate at a constant 140-144 is certainly not an easy ride.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Heart Rate Monitors and Training Plans (Roadie Content Warning)’ is closed to new replies.