Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Health Advice
  • unsure2017
    Free Member

Please forgive my user name – for now I would like to stay anonymous.

It seems I’m likely to be diagnosed with artherosclerosis. There are a couple of tests before the formal confirmation. It’s not a total surprise, my dad had it and the current thinking is that it is genetic pre-disposition. I’ve also been getting increasingly breathless and not been able to gain or even maintain fitness. So, frankly it’s a bit frightening – I’m only in my mid-40’s and especially as I watched my dad die from heart failure.

I know there are some posters with experience of cardiac issues and I could do with some understanding of how you have managed to maximise your ability to ride and maybe even reduced the impact of your symptoms – pre and post treatment.

Cheers.

unsure2017
    Free Member

Bump for the daytime users.

Alphabet

I’m 50 and have a failing heart valve which will most likely need to be replaced within the next 12 months. It’s not a surprise as I’ve known about it for the last 20 years but it was a surprise how fast it’s been going downhill in the last 18 months. I’m not supposed to put strain on my heart or take vigorous exercise.

I bought an ebike which allows me to ride with others. I’m still towards/at the back of the group but for me it’s about spinning along with minimal effort and strain on my heart. I have put on some weight and I’m not as fit as I used to be but at least I’m able to get out in the fresh air and continue to enjoy something I love. I did give up MTB for a while but found walking/hiking to be more effort/strain on my heart than my ebike.

Good luck.

jamj1974

Thanks for that Alphabet. Good luck to you as well.

alanf
    Free Member

Go and get checked out – follow the guidance and advice given by the medics. It may not be as bad as you fear.

I had a MI/heart attack last year (41). I was technically dead for a short while. Fortunately I was resuscitated with the help of some great chaps. It was due to one blocked artery (completely blocked). I also had the suggestion of this being familial as my Dads side of the family have all suffered with heart problems. I’ve had a stent fitted and I’m on a number of meds. I was out of hospital after a couple of days (seems mad after what I’d been through) and took it easy/followed advice for getting back up to speed. Anyway, fast forward just over a year and I’m better than ever. I do a lot of running and have been faster this year than at any time during my life. I’ve PB’d every distance I’ve done, and some by a fair margin. I did the London Marathon in April, 9 months after it had happened and knocked 6 minutes of my best from the previous year.

Take things slowly and build up to the level you feel comfortable with. It’s not the end of the lifestyle you want to leave. Be sensible and with some will and determination you can achieve your goals.
    Good luck 🙂

deviant
    Free Member

My coronary arteries were clear but I still presented with heart failure in the summer, it was brought under control in hospital over a 5 week period and I now take meds twice a day to keep things stable.
    In terms of lifestyle I wasn’t given too much dietary advice as my cholesterol is pretty good, I had general cardiac health advice instead, it consisted of:

Reduce salt intake as much as possible (salt raises BP).

Don’t exceed 2 litres of fluid a day (too much can overload the circulatory system), some leeway on hot days and during exercise.

Keep medication regime strict and at regular times (ensures stable blood levels of said meds).

Take regular exercise (rain or shine I’m out on a road bike twice a week, mountain bike once a week and the gym once or twice a week), when your health depends on it you’ll find time.

Of my own volition I’ve cut out sweets, chocolate, cake, crisps, fizzy drinks etc and replaced with fruit, fruit and more fruit…lost weight and feel like I have more energy.

Others on my ward that did have blocked arteries were put on Statins and told to reduce their red meat and fat intake and to replace with chicken or fish instead.

The fitness thing will take a while, it always fades faster than you got it in the first place!…take it slowly, I used abbreviated gym sessions initially (like only one exercise per body part initially) and go from there, I now do a whole body (free weights) session with 10 minute cardio gaps on a stationary bike between body parts in around 2 hours…that would’ve just about killed me back in June.
    Ditto with cycling, initially I could barely cycle 10 miles again, there was nothing in the tank, just had to knuckle down and build it up slowly, can now go out for a day on the bike again just like before I was unwell.
    I’ve found a local kick boxing club (i used to train religiously) and was never fitter than back then (aged 28), I’m now 40 so when I go back to it next week that’ll be the acid test and I’ll know where my fitness truly is.
    What has been odd is tracking my heart rate when I exercise now, it rarely goes above 130bpm at maximum effort whereas it used to go to 170-180, I think its some of the meds I’m on that artificially reduce the heart rate but it’s strange going the same speed and distance as before but with as heart rate much slower, you do have to push through what feels like a barrier if that makes sense!?

Have they started medicating you yet?…once they get that sorted you will feel better and you’ll feel more confident about pushing your body again, respiratory problems can go hand in hand with cardiac issues so don’t be afraid to ask your GP for an inhaler to use during exercise, most will gladly prescribe one and will be pleased you’re exercising again… some peoples attitude stinks when it comes to their own health…there were people on my ward who were being given advice on weight loss, exercise, diet etc and were outright rude to the doctors and nurses with some even asking if there was a pill they could take instead of putting in the rehab work…trying to get through to patients like that is like banging your head against a wall, don’t be one of those and you’ll be fine.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Health Advice’ is closed to new replies.