Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Headtube damage to Commecal Absolut Sx. Advice wanted Please help
  • onewing
    Free Member

Hello

Looking for some advise about what do about damaged headtube on my Commecal Absolut Sx. Brought this frame from another website and the previous owner failed to inform me about the damage to the headtube. Please see pics

Any kinds of advise or help would be greatfully appreciated. The headset does fit but in have not tried to fit some forks yet.

Pics here: http://onewing.pinkbike.com/album/Commencal-Absolut/

Thanks in advanced 😥

mamadirt
    Free Member

Ouch! I’d be getting in touch with the seller to see if they were aware of the damage (could it have happened in transit?) I’m guessing from the pics that it’s just the top of the head tube which is damaged. The top headset bearing just drops in with the compression ring and cover being fitted once the steerer is in place. Definitely contact the seller first though.

wwaswas

I’d be asking for my money back.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Looks like transit damage to me as well and could be sorted out but I would be asking the seller for an explanation.

Clean it up and the headset should go in fine and it won’t weaken the frame significantly I wouldn’t have thought

onewing
    Free Member

I have sent him a message, so will see what happens!!

I think that the headset will be fine, it fits ok, and when bolted down should not move.

But still not happy!!!

honourablegeorge

Could be a result of an over-enthusiastic headset removal

greeble
    Free Member

So you took the frame from another website from over there to over here?

BOUGHT!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Could be a result of an over-enthusiastic headset removal

No, it’s just a drop-in integrated headset.

Make sure you save all the packaging (any sign of damage to the box?). I sold a frame last year, well-packed with plenty of bubble wrap around the headtube/dropouts/BB area and the buyer messaged me with photos of a shattered (for want of a better description) headset top cup once it arrived. I immediately compensated him for the cost of a replacement headset as he was happy that the frame was undamaged, received glowing ebay feedback as a result, then went about the laborious task of claiming compensation from Parcelforce. Sadly despite having taken out extra insurance to cover the cost of the frame, providing my original photos of the undamaged headset, the sellers photos of the damage and copies of all correspondence plus details of my refund to cover the cost of a replacement headset, Parcelforce refused to accept any liability without damaged packaging as evidence.

onewing
    Free Member

greeble

What?

onewing
    Free Member

The packaging and was ok the box was excellent condition with not damage.

The frame was well bubble wrapped, i have messaged the bloke no answer so far.

RustyMac

Seems odd it is damaged both on the outside and inside of the upper crown area!

As Mama says was the packaging damaged?

[edit]i type too slow[/edit]

onewing
    Free Member

I think the frame had been damaged and someone has taken a hammer and try to bend back the headtube.

In the description there was not details of the damage!

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/958378/

remoterob
    Free Member

Advert says:

“SLIGHT MARK ON HEADTUBE FROM STORING BEFORE SHE WAS BUILT UP.”

Slight might be an understatement.

RustyMac

I’d be asking for a refund if it was me, if not a seriously big discount.
    Frame is described as new and clearly is not, damage mentioned as slight which it is clearly not and pictures arranged to avoid showing damaged are is pretty low.
    Although the frame may be ok you may also find by smoothing out the bearing cup it becomes ovalised and if you can fit a headset corectly you may end up with premature bearing wear.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You can get that reamed out,it,ll be fine….you may have to go through a few workshops till you find one with an integrated 36degree cutter though as they ain’t cheap!!

onewing
    Free Member

Tell me about it, more like serious damage!!!

onewing
    Free Member

Rorschach:

Do you know of any workshop who could repair it?

I did think you could build up the area with weld and then machine it out but this would cost quite a bit!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Looks like that Monster decal was strategically placed 😕 .

Lovely little bikes though and more fun than should be allowed. Bought my second a couple of weeks ago 😛 (foolishly sold the original earlier this year to free up some cash 🙄 . . . and no, it didn’t have a damaged headtube 😆 ). Oh, and they’re on sale at £759 at Merlin Cycles at the mo’ – your’s was a good buy at £500 new especially with the DHX . . . so long as the headtube problem is fixable.

onewing
    Free Member

Nice build! just the sort of build i had planned!

Lets just hope i can get it sorted!

Rorschach
    Free Member

I don’t think thats too bad meself.Most decent workshops will have a headset reaming tool and will have a 45degree (campag) cutter.Some will have a 36degree one aswell (assuming your headset bearings are 36/45’s).
    Phone round your local lbs’s or BETD/Goldtech in newcastle under lyme or Argos in bristol definately will one.

greeble
    Free Member

greeble

What?

brought – you took it from somewhere and brought it along with you
    bought – you purchased it.

simple really.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

failing that could you get it milled flat and fit a regular top cup? or is the ID of the headtube not the right size?

remoterob
    Free Member

Outcome?

onewing
    Free Member

Hello

I took the frame to LBS and the tech. managed to hammer back the headtube so the bearings will sit in there without any movement!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Headtube damage to Commecal Absolut Sx. Advice wanted Please help’ is closed to new replies.