Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Headsets – WTF
  • Ewan
    Free Member

Having performed a bit of a headset fail today (forgot my old forks were 1/18 and my new ones are tapered, I came to look for a new headset online.

The headset standard seems to have gone to hell in a handbasket. I’ve got a 2011/12 Nukeproof mega, which I believe has a 44mm headtube, meaning that as I want an external bottom cup and an integral top cup, I need in nukeproof language:

44IETS – 44mm Internal top, External bottom, Tapered steerer

Now, no one else seems to use that description other than CRCs ‘brand x’. Hope seem to call it:

Top: ZS44 Bottom EC44

As the nukeproof warhead is out of stock in 44IETS (which is annoying as I have the straight steerer version of that and it’s been fine for 3 years) I have a choice of a brand x one for 16 quid or a hope one for 60 quid.

Anyone got any experience of the brand x one – is it as shite as the price suggests?

Do any other manufacturers sell this combo?

spev

Gusset do a mix and match headset (as do hope and a few others)
    http://www.ison-distribution.com/english/product.php?part=HDGUBE34

HDGUBE44 thats the lower (comes with crowns for both 1.5″ and 1 1/8th)
    HDGUTZ44 thats the upper

GavinB

I had a Nukeproof one, fitted to my old Mega, which lasted about 2 months. Replaced it with the Hope one, and it worked fine (as a headset should really).

For taper steerer in a 44mm headtube Mega, you need a Hope 2H combo.

The Hope ones also come with a split crown race, so saves another faff of a job.

bikeneil
    Free Member

The headset standard seems to have gone to hell in a handbasket.

I didn’t think there was a ‘standard’ anything on bikes these days.

Northwind

Hopes mix-n-matches are surprisingly good value, I almost didn’t bother looking at theirs

glasgowdan
    Free Member

It’s just an EC44 lower headset you need, Hope and Cane Creek do them. I run the Hope one on my 2009 Giant Reign. No reason to change the top headset unless it’s Kaput?

GavinB

Actually, just re-read the OP and you’re right Dan, you only need the Hope Lower H cup. Sorry, missed the detail that you’ve already been running straight steerer forks in the frame.

nickc

is it as shite as the price suggests?

you need to ask? 😆

you could buy three for the price of a Hope though…

Ewan
    Free Member

Good point on only needing the bottom bit! I’d not considered that… and since you can’t see the writing on the zero stack top half, I may as well get hope one.

Cheers all!

riddoch

Aha but you’ll know they aren’t a matched pair 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Headsets – WTF’ is closed to new replies.