Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Headsets, tapered steerers, adaptors……
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Does anyone do an adaptor that converts a 1.1/8th inch steerer tube so that it is effectively a tapered steerer?

This would only need to be a steel ring that goes where the crown race would be, of the right dimensions and taper to allow the fitment of a tapered crown race.

Seems simple and would solve my 'what headset' for 1.1/8th" forks on a 1.5 to 1.1/8th headtube quandry. I know what options I have, but I also know what headset I want to fit and the two only seem to be compatible if the above spacer/adaptor exists.

rockitman

Rocky, I have no idea what you mean mate. Can't you just use a reducer headset?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Thanks, I do know what options there are though. None of them are exactly what I want.

George; imagine you have a 1.1/8th steerer and a 1.5" headset for a tapered steerer. Put the crown race over the forks and there's a gap. I can't see a reason why you couldn't use a spacer here to let you use a tapered headset with a non-tapered fork. And, given that there aren't many headset options that allow this, I'm surprised no one seems to have knocked one up.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Also, the problem with reducer headsets is that the top bearings are also 1.5", I need a 1.1/8th top bearing. Don't want to shell out for two Headsets if it can be avoided! I do want some new forks for this frame, but I don't have the budget for them at the moment I don't think and I'm not sure I want a tapered steerer as it limits resale market and moving forks to other bikes etc.

enmac
    Free Member

Not sure I fully understand your question, but I run a 1-1/8" fork on a tapered head tube using a Chris King headset. The tapered headset comes with two lower races to fit either 1-1/2" or 1-1/18".

mttm
    Free Member

Hope will sell you a "Combi" headset – you can specify which top and bottom cups you require in a proper pick 'n mix stylee. They even do two taper reducer options for the bottom cup, an internal and an external. The external taper reducer helps with frame clearance on some forks.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Contact Hope or wait for On-One who have ordered from FSA for the Carbon 456. Mythic also do one. Ring Freeborn.

Northwind

Ah, no, I see what you mean- a fork convertor rather than a headset convertor. Seems a perfectly sensible idea although I guess it gives more points of interference/stress. I can see that it could have some drawbacks compared to the headset approach and I can only see one advantage, interchangability, but that'd only be of use if you were swapping fat and thin forks on the same bike.

carlosg
    Free Member

Specialized do a converter like this for their carbon stumpjumper fsr frame , my mate just bought one.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

The main benefit is that hardly anyone does a headset for for 1.5 to 1.1/8th tapered headsets for non-tapered forks. I would have thought most companies would have knocked out a second headset crown race to allow the option for non-tapered forks, there's quite a few tapered frames available now, and I can't be the only one that doesn't want tapered forks because they won't go on my other bikes!

Anyway, cheers for the advise, I'll see what On-One come up with and see if I can find this Specialized thing too.

jon_on-one
    Free Member

Tapered headsets now in stock at on-one.co.uk! Goto: On-One tapered headsets

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Headsets, tapered steerers, adaptors……’ is closed to new replies.