• This topic has 30 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Headsets- recommend me one
  • hora
    Free Member

Yes I like a bit of bling in my headset, its like an ear ring innit? 😀

My King one is quite old/worn now- its been in a few frames (cough)….recently noticed its lightly scoring my steerer so I’d like a new headset please.

Any recommendations? I don’t really fancy headsets that come in about 10 different parts and I know cheaper FSA ones will ‘do the job’ but I never disemble or clean my headset at all so its out.

Anything? 🙂

simon1975

but I never disemble or clean my headset at all

Get a new CK one then, but with the fancy new top bit that’s supposed to prevent scoring 🙂

wwaswas

Pleased with my Cane Creek S8.

with the regularity of your fork changes a quick clean out must happen every so often 😉

hora
    Free Member

but with the fancy new top bit that’s supposed to prevent scoring

How do you spot this? I notice the text is no longer white on the cups.

hora
    Free Member

Acros?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Bling – King, Hope, Acros…

Very good value – CC S8 (I just got one for £25 posted new, which is a stonewall bargain, as Alan Hansen might say.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Was about to suggest Acros, got a clockwork orange limited edition one at a really good price probably a year and a half ago and it’s been fine.

simon1975

but with the fancy new top bit that’s supposed to prevent scoring
    How do you spot this?

It’s called the Griplock system:
    http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=NTS-KIT18-GRIPLOCK

Now has a split plastic ring to load the top bearing like other brands. I imagine most UK stockists still have the older type at the moment though…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Tune bobo

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cheep: Cane Creek* S3 (like the S8 but with harder steel for the bearings, but not stainless, so smother it in grease before fitting, which you should do anyway).

Expensive: Crank Bros, half the price of King, half the weight, half the warenty, double the bling (IMO).

*If it looks cheep it is, they make an OEM S8 that’s shockingly bad, mild steel bearings, no sealing other than the cheep cartrige bearings, lasted about 2 months.

hora
    Free Member

Jesus H:

Chris King NoThreadset Titanium

NO NEED for one and too bloody expensive yet….. I feel like Gollum 😆

takisawa2

Cane Creek S3 has proven reliable here. Must have done 4 winters now on my SS. IMO its narrow-pattern jet-spray like hosing from the underside that kills headsets.
    I have a King on my now stripped down FS. Wouldnt buy another.

messiah
    Free Member

I’m impressed with my Acros, only a year in but clean inside when I checked it.

hora
    Free Member

Where from though? Quite rare according to google.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why spend much money though on a Ti headset? The bearigns aren’t even replaceable!

10 years ago buying a 1.1/8 king headset might have been an investment, but the way things are going it’ll be as usefull as a chocolate teapot/1″ headset in 5 years time. I was idley looking at new road bikes last week, not one had a stndard 1.1/8 headset, and apart form steel hardtails (and not all of them since th new ragley came out) and budget aluminium bikes the MTB market seems to have shifted well away from them too.

messiah
    Free Member

Acros from Balfa.co.uk or from gravity-sports.co.uk

Lifer
    Free Member

Don’t understand why people spend so much on headsets, never had any trouble with the Pig Pro DH I’ve fitted to every bike I’ve had for the last 10 years.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

no dont go for the cane creek, my alpine came with a cane creek and the ball bearings in the top cup were gone within a months use.. they upgraded me the hope zs tapered for free and its way better 🙂

stumpy01

Not terribly bling, but I have had a Cane Creek S3 for about 3 years now, probably getting on for 4.
    It’s now on it’s second bike & original cartridge bearings. I take it apart to clean it every now and again, but it’s always really clean & grit free inside with plenty of grease.
    Not sure I’d spend anymore on one to be honest, unless it’s possible to save a load of weight with more expensive one and I was looking to build a lighter bike.

hora
    Free Member

Lifer in the last 10yrs have you tried another headset? i.e you may have a different viewpoint if you felt how smooth some are now compared to your budget-effort 🙂

Plus you are missing my point. I’ve never ever cleaned my headset or dissembled it. Ever. Its still smooth.

messiah
    Free Member

Mine was an easy choice as it was a 1.5″. Give Jamie at Balfa a call and discuss. I wouldn’t bother with ceramic but stainless is a must.

Lifer – I have no idea why cheap headsets do not last a year in my bikes. The FSA XL2 did not last a year and the Orbit extreme I had lasted almost exactly the five years of it’s guarantee… the Hope I ran last year was disapointingly grouchy and full of gunk after six months, and yet many people swear by them. I don’t powerwash and tend to strip and grease once a year… I’d rather fit a good headset and hence not have the trouble of squeezing cups in and out regularly – which risks damaging the frame – as does a poorly adjusted or slightly loose/tight headset. I see a good headset as an investment if your planning to keep the frame for a few years. I’d happily run cheaper gears etc which are disposables and run a good headset (although I am not a King fan, been there and scored the steerer tube).

iainc

FSA XL11’s in HT and FS bikes, both have lasted over 2 yrs, twice weekly use, regular washing, no jetwash though. I strip and clean them maybe twice a yr, repqacking with good grease. Can’t see the point in spending loads.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

What’s not to like about Hope? Mine’s been through 3 Scottish winters and very wet summers and still lovely and smooth. All I’ve needed to do is tweak it up a couple of times a year to take up the wear. Reasonably bling as well

Lifer
    Free Member

Not the same Pig Pro over that time btw! And not having a go, spend as much as you like.

Hora, if it ain’t broken I’m not spending >£50 to fix it. Haven’t stripped and regreased a headset since the days of 1″ steerers and ball bearings.

hora
    Free Member

a few years ago (before I realised you could use an old seatpost to remove) I used a screw driver and hammer to take it out of frames

its cups are quite worn now. Better off retired to the shelf me thinks.

steel4real
    Free Member

Yikes – thank chuff you did the job tidily on the Orange 5 I bought from you !

You know if you swap stuff so regularly ‘cos it made you crash etc. etc. ( 😉 ) then surely the correct tools could be afforded ?

hora
    Free Member

I’m on Hope wheels now so ideally one bit of kit as a bit of bling. Headsets are that niche/bling thing aren’t they?

If I had a Hope headset I’d probably have King wheels.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Well if you like a bit of bling, why not match your headset with your wheels etc. It’s what colours are for

IMG_0036 by CaptainMainwaring1, on Flickr

hora
    Free Member

Ha ha, I have an orange Santa Cruz frame and I’m hoping to buy a gold headset. Do you really think colour co-ordination is at the top of my list? 😆

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Headsets- recommend me one’ is closed to new replies.