Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Headsets, grrr – confirm I'm not being a numpty…
  • a11y

New headset needed on my 2016 Genesis High Latitude. Looks to me like the head-tube is:
    – 34mm top internal diameter, hence need a conventional 1 1/8” external top cup
    – 56mm bottom internal diameter, hence needs a 1.5” external cup
    – running a tapered steerer fork

Also listed in the following as “Genesis Mjölnir Seamless Double-Butted Chromoly w/ Ø44-34mm Tapered Headtube”: http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/genesis-high-latitude-2016-mountain-bike.html

And looks like this:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Jmyh43]2016-07-03 Genny (3)[/url] by Ally Mitchell, on Flickr

Am I right in my assumptions about what I need? i.e. conventional 1 1/8″ external top cup and 1.5″ external bottom cup. It just seems an unusual combination and not one I can find off the shelf other than Hope pick n mix. I was hoping for something less expensive though.

Can anyone with more headset knowledge confirm i’m not being an idiot?

Ta.

matt_outandabout

FSA must make one – you have one already…?

joemmo
    Free Member

that’s a pretty standard combination for a tapered steerer. With the multitude of sizes now, many headsets come in 2 parts, also makes sense as the lower bearing tends to go first. You could try Cane Creek, FSA & Ritchey for similar products to the Hope headsets, may be a little cheaper.

daern
    Free Member

Is there a reason why you’re not just swapping the bearings if they are knackered? Usually much cheaper to do, and less problematic.

dovebiker

Drop the forks, the bearings should simply drop-out. I’d suspect it’s just the bottom one you need anyway – take bearing into LBS, ask for replacement and there you go.

a11y

Ta folks.

FSA – not keen as the one in already is an utter POS. Sealing? Nope!

Considered swapping the bearings but tried that with the Enduro’s headset and took several attempts to get the correct one (despite what many suppliers told me would fit). I guess I’ll probably bite the bullet and buy the Hope bits – got an 8 yr old one still going strong on original bearings on another well used bike, so worth it in the long run.

daern
    Free Member

I also like Cane Creek 40 headsets (110s if you can stretch to it) – nicely made with good bearings and last well.

If you know that you are going to replace it, bash out the old cups and get some calipers on the frame shells to measure the internal diameter then you can be 100% certain that your fit is good.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Pretty sure nukeproof do a pick and mix thats a little cheaper than hope.

RustyMac

The bottom taper of the head tube looks too small to be 56mm, you do get 44mm external cup headsets.

That looks to be a standard 1 1/8 external cup headset (EC34) (Hope Type 1 cup) for the top then a 44mm external cup headset (EC44) (Hope H cup) for the bottom giving you the 1.5 lower race.

I do not think these come as a standard headset from any manufacturer so some kind of pick and mix is going to be your best route.

If the upper section of the headset is OK you do not need to replace it to match the lower cup they are 2 independent units and can be treated as such.

a11y

Cheers. I only noticed I’d been misquoting the lower – it is indeed 44mm internal so it is the Hope H one.

Time to order…

psycorp
    Free Member

Your current lower cup is external so the lower headtube diameter will be 44mm I’d have thought.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Headsets, grrr – confirm I'm not being a numpty…’ is closed to new replies.