Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • headsets and grease
  • iainc

Pulled apart and serviced youngests 4 month old Islabike headset. Always surprises me how little grease shops/ assemblers put in them. I tend to have a good smear in the cups and another round the cartridges after popping them in, both top and bottom ends. Maybe I’m putting in too much…

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you are, then so am I. If it’s full of grease, there’s no room for grit or water.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

Shops should put a proper amount of grease in if they’re doing their job properly.

banks
    Free Member

I only grease the cups so popping the bearings out again shouldn’t be such a Ballache. With loads of grease you’ve got something for all the grit to live in and grind away.

iainc

Banks – I suspect that was the approach taken. I’ve always been for loading in a heap of grease to keep water out but can see the point.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I found those with minimal grease seem to corrode sooner than those full of grease get ground away.

iainc

I found those with minimal grease seem to corrode sooner than those full of grease get ground away

🙂

faustus

Although I see the point in not having too much grease for dirt to live in, but surely it’s worth overloading a bit to account for grease that will get washed away..?

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

Oops, missed the part about them being cartridges. Small smear will suffice!

iainc

Oops, missed the part about them being cartridges. Small smear will suffice!

I’ve always tended to get a good thick bead in the cup, pop in the cartridge bearing and then run another bead round on top of the bearing. Then squidge it all together with the caps asnd seals and wipe away the stuff that squeezes out !

Onzadog
    Free Member

IainC, I do exactly the same.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘headsets and grease’ is closed to new replies.