Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Headsets
  • paradigmshift
    Free Member

Since the replacement bearings for a Cane Creek S2 are £15 I thought I may as well switch to a better sealed unit.

Can anyone recommend any headsets costing less than £40 with better sealing or is one of those neoprene protectors the only option?

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

fsa pig pro or Chris King? I always scoffed at them but if my Chris King lasts only 2 years then I’ve got my money back.

paradigmshift
    Free Member

ok thanks will go and have a look at the FSA is it the DH one?

Hadge
    Free Member

FSA Orbit XL2 – cheap as chips.

MrAgreeable

Sealing on the XLII is not that great. Cane Creek S3s are surprisingly good and have rubber contact seals as well as the internal ones.

chakaping
    Free Member

Got my latest Pig Pro DH for £19 new from ebay a couple of week ago.

There were more available.

Had them on two previous bikes, never any problems.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Hope,made in England for English conditions. Mine is on its’ second bike,bought in 02 and still going strong.

JxL
    Free Member

Dave – are Hope headsets under £40 though?

nickc

replacement bearings for XLll are about the same price as the crane creek one, and not massively better sealed.

bomberman
    Free Member

yeah the lower race on the xl2 is where you get dirt creeping in. they can be had for £20 off ebay though and the bearings on mine lasted more than a year before i overtightened it and had to replace them. only then was it i noticed the lower set were rusty. pretty good for £20!

uplink
    Free Member

they can be had for £20 off ebay

£22 off Merlin too but as said above, the sealing is crap

bomberman
    Free Member

no, the sealing isn’t CRAP, in fact it’s pretty good – just the lower race needs keeping an eye on.

uplink
    Free Member

If crap is getting in [like it did on mine] the sealing is at fault

i.e. the tolerances on some or one of the faces are too large allowing dirt in, I can’t really see how dirt can get in otherwise

Joxster
    Free Member

Chris King. I’ve just replaced the bearings on my headset and used loads of grease in the hope it lasts more than two months…………

househusband

Acros AH-03 at £39.99; German made, excellent sealing, split race. Very impressed with mine.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

All-Terrain are doing Cane Creek S-8 for around £29, just put one on my bike.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Headsets’ is closed to new replies.