Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Headset – what am I doing wrong..?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Can’t get my headset right, it’s either too tight or there’s a little play, there doesn’t seem to be a compromise. It’s greased up and installed correctly…

Suggestions…?

scaredypants

depends a bit what “too tight” involves – if it’s just a bit of resistance, ride it & you’ll get used to it.

Is it new ? – if not, maybe the bearing races are pitted, making it notchy ?

dhrider
    Free Member

Crown race on properly?
    Compression adjuster in properly?
    Enough space between the base of the top cap and the steerer so their not touching each other?

glenh
    Free Member

It’s worn out.

If not it’s either crap, or your rattle is coming from somewhere else (eg fork bushings).

loddrik
    Free Member

Definitely not the forks. I’ll have to install from scratch again and see.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Bing some more grease in and see what happens, this is of course assuming that the cups are in straight in the first place

martinxyz
    Free Member

which headset?

loddrik
    Free Member

Ritchey WCS, never had a problem with them before though.

Rickos
    Free Member

Is the SFN in straight?

loddrik
    Free Member

N/A – Mav DUC’s

mmb
    Free Member

happened to me too, i reinstalled the cups then it was ok, a friend had an off and that upset his a little but he had to ride home anyway and it reseated itself.

Bazz

Is it an intergrated headset? I’ve just had trouble with one on my road bike, turns out that you only need very small imperfections for it not to fit properly, tried a different headset and now all is fine.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Headset – what am I doing wrong..?’ is closed to new replies.