Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Headset options
  • ruminant
    Free Member

Morning peeps

The big boss has given the go ahead to buy a new frame, a nice shiny on one 456.

the plan is to build it up from my prophet parts for the winter, main snag though is headtube lengths. The Prophet is 110mm, the 456 (20") is 120mm, I run a thomson stem 40mm and 15mm of spacers. Making the steerer tube about 190mm.

Dropping the spacers would give me 28mm to fit a headset, wanted to fit a hope, same as the prophet making it easier to swap, but the stack heights to high. Whats out there around 28mm stack height?

cheers

I'm also watching the other on one post about the sizing because I'm not sure on sizing either, though living near sheff, might just pop over to the showroom in rotherham and see if I can sit on an 18" and a 20" to compare. Me I'm 6'1.5" with a 33" inside leg

Seamus
    Free Member

Unless I'm reading this wrong, the head tube is 10mm longer and you've currently got 15mm of spacers. Therefore surely using the same headset and stem with no spacers you've got 5mm to spare?

Rickos
    Free Member

I'm with Seamus. 5mm spacer…BOSH! Job done.

ruminant
    Free Member

Ah sorry, the hope headset in the cannondale is a zero stack reducer type, so I need to find not only the extra 10mm but also enough for the top stack height of the 456 headset.

thinking this might be my best option

FSA Orbit Xtreme

Rockplough
    Free Member

A Sunline V1 AM stem (34mm) will give you an extra 6mm over the Thomson (40mm).

edit: If your Prophet has a 110mm HT with zero stack headset, then the Thomson + 15mm spacers gives you a 165mm steerer. Where's the other 25mm coming from?

nuke

This…

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HSFSOXL2/fsa-orbit-xl-2-headset

Reduced to £15. Buy it with the 456. Job done.

clubber
    Free Member

What nuke said. 27.5mm stack height too.

ruminant
    Free Member

Yeah Rockplough your worrying me now with that, sure it was 190mm from the fork crown to the top of the stem.

I will take the forks out tonight and measure properly before spending my cash.

Phone on one they have a Carbon 18" and 20" 456 that I can try for size in the showroom, so trip down in the morning I think.

MUST RESIST THE CARBON THOUGH! missus would serve me my gents veg on a plate if I spent that much lol

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Headset options’ is closed to new replies.