Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Headset keeps coming loose…
  • dang100
    Free Member

My headset comes loose after about 2 – 3 hours of riding. Is this a job for loctite? Any reason why I shouldn’t use loctite? Is it a symptom of something more serious?

Cheers, dang100

wwaswas

which headset, frame and fork?

not sure what you’d use the loctite on – it’s all supposed to be held together by the stem bolts wonce you get the thing preloaded with the top cap?

bananaworld
    Free Member

Is it a threaded or Ahead type headset?

Anyway, in either case, it sounds like there’s something more serious going on. Loctite can solve many of the world’s problems, but rarely this one…

dang100
    Free Member

It’s a 2006 Yeti 575. The headset is and Ahead set style one from Woodman Components (here: http://tinyurl.com/6ymrflg ) and the forks are RockShox Revelation (2006)

I was thinking of putting loctite on the bottom of the bolt that holds the top cap (i.e. the one you tighten to tighten the headset).

Cheers, dang100

wwaswas

you should have the stem clamp bolts tight enough to stop the headset coming loose – on a well setup system you can remove the top bolt altogether and it should be fine.

I’d take the stem off, degrease the inside of it and also the steerer tube then reassemble ‘dry’. Do the stem bolts up with a torque wrench to the manufacturers spec (i.e. fairly tight but not too tight) and see how you get on. You could loctite the stem clamp bolts, I guess.

Milkie
    Free Member

I would try Finish Line Fiber Grip Carbon Fiber Assembly Gel, where the stem grips the steerer, for extra grippyness.

Junkyard
    Free Member

NOOOOOO

The top bolt is to compress the stem then the stem should kepp it all tight/in place. For it to be coming loose either you have installed it incorrectly or soemthing is broken – bearings worn /split lock ring thing wrongly located etc and it then compresses as you ride????

I would want to know what the issue is first.
    Have you tightented the stem up enough?
    To fit
    Loosen stem bolts
    tighten top cap – stem should just about move freely with pressure applies
    Tighten stem bolts
    Ride

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

mine does that, I’ve put it down to a possibly bent steerer tube but haven’t had a chance to swap forks yet as i’ve not got the right brake addapters.

aP
    Free Member

The headset on my most recent cx bike was doing this – I tracked it down eventually to a missing preload washer, which of course is not available as a spare. However, on a positive note I now have spare bearings, crown race and cable hanger.

frank4short
    Free Member

How long have you had the forks/headset? In the past i had a similar issue which came down to the crown race not being set properly on the steerer tube. May be worth looking into if you’ve changed either of the above recently.

Trimix
    Free Member

This happend to me at Cwn Carn on Sunday.

The headset spacers where shite plastic ones ! One of them has split so each time I preloaded it the spacer just splayed out more.

Fixed it by putting a tie wrap round it till I finished the lap.
    Now ordered some aluminium spacers from CRC.

*awaits card fraud*

Onzadog
    Free Member

Have you made sure the stem cap isn’t bottoming out on the top of the steerer? I only suggest it as it’s a really easy fix if that’s the case.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Take it all apart. Clean. Re-install. Often fixes it.

When you re-install, check you have enough spacers in to allow the top cap to tighten without grounding on the top of the steerer tube. Also check the star fangled nut isn’t creeping (I’ve had that before) by running some permanent marker pen round the inside of the steerer above the top-most SFN flange. If it comes loose again and the SFN has crept into the marker pen line, punch SFN out and install a new one.

dang100
    Free Member

Thanks for all the help and advice, guys. Looks like my other idea – duct tape – won´t work either.

I´ve tried loosening and re-tightening , the top cap rests on the stem not the steerer, the spacers are aluminium.

I´m not sure what else it could be. Unless too much of the stem is sticking out above the steerer so the stem isn´t gripping it properly. I think from memory the stem clears the steerer by about 5mm.

Also worth checking all the bearings. I´l do that too.

smokey_jo

Are the cups loose in the frame, heard of another case of a Yeti having an over teamed headtube…………..?

neninja
    Free Member

Where is the top of the steerer in relation to the top clamp bolt on the stem?

If it is below or partially below the top bolt them you might need to use a lower spacer stack.

wwaswas

put a spacer above the stem – it’ll drop the stem down so it clamps better.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Take it to a bike shop and ask somebody who knows what they’re doing to tell you what’s wrong.

dang100
    Free Member

Take it to a bike shop and ask somebody who knows what they’re doing to tell you what’s wrong.

Now where’s the fun in that?

Speshpaul

“Take it to a bike shop and ask somebody who knows what they’re doing to tell you what’s wrong.”

Why pay to have someone guess at whats wrong when you’ve got the internet?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Your bearings could be knackered headset components could be knackered stem could be crap. Has it always done this or is it a recent thing?

dang100
    Free Member

it’s a recent thing

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Why pay to have someone guess at whats wrong when you’ve got the internet?

With the bike in front of them, any reasonably clue-up mechanic will almost certainly be able to say in a matter of seconds why the headset has a problem. It’s all well and good people just listing possibilities on the internets, but that requires that the person with the problem has at least a vague idea of what they have. Pardon me if I’m wrong, but that really doesn’t seem like the case here.

dang100
    Free Member

OK – done all of the above. Stripped and regreased the headset, put the stem lower so there´s a spacer on top and tightened it up. I was out on for 5 hours on Saturday and it stayed tight so it seems to have worked.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Dan

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Headset keeps coming loose…’ is closed to new replies.