Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Headset Help please…..
  • whytenosugar
    Free Member

Hello,

I need some advice please….

I have replaced a worn out headset on my 901. I am biking on a budget and bought an integrated headset from Superstar, I know a lot of people are not fans on here, but I have plenty of their kit and never had a problem (touch wood!).
    Anyhow, my issue is that I have some play the headset (front/back/left/right) that I think is pre-load??? I have tightened and tightened the top bolt in the stem cap but to no avail, I’m very certain that all the parts are in the right place etc. The only thing I didn’t change was the star nut in the fork….

Any ideas what I’m not doing please? 🙁

Cheers.

richmtb

Have you got the correct gap between the top of the stem / spacers and the top of your steerer tube.

Shoud be 3mm

whytenosugar
    Free Member

Have you got the correct gap between the top of the stem / spacers and the top of your steerer tube.

Shoud be 3mm

Thanks for replying so quickly. I’m pretty sure I have. The stem is above the steerer tube by approximately 2-3mm. Is that right?

fadda

Depends if that’s enough to still clear, allowing for the recess in the top cap – it sticks down inside the stem a little.

It sounds enough for most, but only just…

RustyMac

From previous experiance you could even push that 3mm out to 5 mm, you need the upper crown race to seat fully which can pull the steerer tube up quite a bit.

My other thought is are you sure it is the headset? You could be getting movement from your suspension forks if the bushes in the lower legs are getting worn.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

You are loosening the stem clamp first?

whytenosugar
    Free Member

Depends if that’s enough to still clear, allowing for the recess in the top cap – it sticks down inside the stem a little.

It sounds enough for most, but only just…

Hi, if I changed my spacers around and gave it more than 3mm clearance. Would that make a difference do you think? Worth a try I suppose?

richmtb

Okay sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs but here goes.

Is the crown race seated properly?
    Is the top taper ring seated properly?
    Did you slacken off the stem completely before tightening the top bolt?

steezysix
    Free Member

Are you using the correct crown race? I swapped forks recently and had a similar problem to you, simply because I’d been to lazy to swap them. Switched them over and now it’s fine.

whytenosugar
    Free Member

You are loosening the stem clamp first?

I am DrRSwank, however I have to admit I didn’t initially….I know, I know, school boy error. 😆

RustyMac

just read the further posts, can you re-jig the stem spacer layout so you stick a spacer ontop of the stem to give you a larger initial distance between the top cap and top of the steerer tube?

whytenosugar
    Free Member

Hi, I replaced the crown race with the one that came with the headset to ensure correct fit and I’m happy that it is seated properly (off to the shed to check!) Taper ring, I’m not too sure what this is?? At a guess I reckon it is the ring at the opposite end to the crown that sits beneath the top bearings…am I on the right path?

whytenosugar
    Free Member

I’ve not tried that Rusty Mac, I know the bars would be marginally lower, would this have any effect on handling?

RustyMac

If you drop them a small ammount it won’t make a great deal of difference if any, however in generalities if you drop the handle bars down a bit you will put a little more weight over the front of the bike.

andyl
    Free Member

are the bearings in the right way?

I have to say I have not had any problems whatsoever with my SS headset which is external 1.5 lower and integrated upper.

Only issue is there is no sealing on the crown race at all (unlike Hope) but regular checking and packing with clean grease is not a problem. I generally strip my bike down every few weeks for repairs or cleaning/maintenance.

whytenosugar
    Free Member

If you drop them a small ammount it won’t make a great deal of difference if any, however in generalities if you drop the handle bars down a bit you will put a little more weight over the front of the bike

I’m going to try that, thanks. I have a check list to go through now to ensure I am fitted it correctly….I’m think next time take it to my LBS!!!! 😀

whytenosugar
    Free Member

are the bearings in the right way?

First thing I checked as I know my mate made this mistake earlier this year.

Glad to here that you approve of the Superstar headset….not sure I’m at the stage of stripping my bike down for regular maintenance just yet, I’m trying to learn though…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Headset Help please…..’ is closed to new replies.