Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • headset feels gritty… replacement
  • cookci
    Free Member

2012 carrera banshee x headset feels gritty and stiff. Is this going to affect my riding?

What kind of replacement do i need? Will an fsa orbit 1 1/8 do the job?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You could take it apart clean and regrease as a quick thing, then you could replace the bearings. If your going to replace the whole thing I’d make sure it’s a sealed cartridge bearing headset.

cookci
    Free Member

Its the bottom bearing which sounds broken.

Is there anyway of botching it without removing the entire headset so i dont have to buy a removal tool?

Tbh im trying to save up for a better bike and really struggling having to spend money on this one every five minutes lol

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The bearings are not part of the headset cups, drop the fork out and the bearing will be there. Have a look at the park tool guide.

scottalej
    Free Member

If cleaning and greasing doesn’t work I’d recommend one of these. I’ve been using them for years in all weathers and never had an issue.
    http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/FSA-Orbit-XLII-Headset

Superficial
    Free Member

Or just live with it. Providing it doesn’t wobble, it’s not going to affect your riding in the slightest. Smooth headsets are mostly vanity.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Smooth headsets are mostly vanity. really easy to have

FIFY

cookci
    Free Member

ive greased it up and its loads better now.

I was reading that a smooth headset makes one ride better (seriously I did)! lol

Thanks for your help.

I will keep saving for my cube ams 29 120

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘headset feels gritty… replacement’ is closed to new replies.