Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Headset cups – problem fitting / facing needed?
  • Ben_H

I’m just about to start building-up a Pinnancel Lithium frame for my wife. It needs an integrated 44mm internal diameter headset; I’m using an FSA No.9.

I’m struggling to get the cups to fit at all, even using a Park Tools headset fitting tool. The cups bed in at angles almost straight away. I’ve read of all sorts of bodges and I’ve tried them all (the cups are in the freezer as I write!).

The only thing I can think of now is to have the frame faced. Sadly, most local bike shops are closed on Monday. 🙁

How common is this and is there anything else I can try?

P.S. Otherwise, I’d really recommend the Pinnacle Lithium frame. Cost me £85 (reduced from £200) and I weighed this “Small” one at c.1,800g. Looks to be made by the same people as my old Pace RC305, which cost over five times this much.

wwaswas

if the cups are skewing as soon as you put them in then facing the end of the tube isn’t going to help as it’s not really involved at that point?

Are you fitting them both together or one at a time?

Ben_H

I’ve tried both – fitting them together and one at a time.

Just to add that the headset cups are 1.5, but reduce to 1.1/8 internally to accommodate the fork.

wwaswas

I’m not saying you should do this but, in the past, I’ve just greased everything up and kept winding the handle on the press when this has happened.

*so far* it’s always ended up with a nicely flush cup and no split head tube.

Northwind

As above, facing won’t fix it. It seems relatively easy to tilt a 1.5 headset compared to a standard one… Rubber mallet works for me though, just constantly working on the highest point.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

+1 for what Northwind says. Combination of press and hitting instrument to straighten them up as you go.

Once the first bit is in, the rest goes in smoothly. Said the actress to the bishop.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Iv done done loads of headsets of all flavors and Iv never had one go in straight from the off – but also Iv never had one that wouldn’t go in at all.

One side always drops first but when this happens just shift the tool so the pressure is acting at the highest point. Once its halfway in it should be straight and plane sailing form there.

One cup at a time.

Ben_H

Thanks chaps.

A combination of the techniques advised and a bit of brute force won through in the end. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Headset cups – problem fitting / facing needed?’ is closed to new replies.