Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Headset Cups don't fit Headset Press :(
  • myopic
    Free Member

Trying to fit a semi-integrated headset for a 1 1/8 steerer. I have a headset press, but the problem is that the cups have a bevelled edge where the bearings sit and my press has a square edge, so although it is the right diameter, it slides a little in any direction, and that is making getting the cups straight really impossible.

I could put the bearing in and do it with that in place, but that would probably damage the bearing as the pressure would not extend as far as the outer-race. The old bearings I took out were ball and cage, so I can’t use them, anyone got any ideas? A massive washer would be an option, but I don’t have one of those either.
    Its a cane creek 40 series if that helps any…

nonk
    Free Member

Do them one at a time, use one end of the press sat in the headtube and pull one cup into the frame at a time rather than both together

STATO
    Free Member

Yup, unless your willing to invest in the right adaptors for each headset standard they are kind of pointless having. I just went back to using my hammer.

Mugboo

I bought a big pair of washers off eBay, they work perfectly to update my headset press. I’ve also used an old headset cup in the past.

myopic
    Free Member

Was doing them one at a time, nonk, but because it’s such a wide headtube, the press would have disappeared inside it, so left one old cup in and used that to get the first new one on. Ended up using the other old headset cup upside now to spread the load across the new cup. Got them in – stressful!

Next bodge: crown race. All I need to do is find my old bit of pipe…

Mugboo

I bought a big pair of washers off eBay, they work perfectly to update my headset press. I’ve also used an old headset cup in the past.

myopic
    Free Member

I know, Mugboo, you said 😉

All done now

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Headset Cups don't fit Headset Press :(’ is closed to new replies.