Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Headset advice please
  • warpcow
    Free Member

Hi.

I'm going to buy an Inbred this week (want cheap, short-travel, steel and v-brake bosses) and was just wondering about which headset to go for. I'm going to be running 80mm Manitou forks, which I believe have a shorter a-c (450mm unsagged)than similar forks from other brands. I thought it might be an idea to get on-one's own +5 headset to slacken off the head-angle a tiny bit.

Sound plausible or pointless?

Mackem

which ever you get, make sure it includes a crown race.

warpcow
    Free Member

Forgive my ignorance but: eh? I thought a headset came with one as standard or do on-one have a habit of forgetting bits?

clubber
    Free Member

5mm will make chuff all difference so unless it stops the fork dials hitting the frame I wouldn't bother.

Fwiw also, I reckon an 80mm fork is too short for anything other than the oldest inbreds and I like mine to handle fast, not to mention that manitou forks should always be avoided.

Get an Fsa orbit xl2 headset. £20 and reliable.

clubber
    Free Member

Ps ref the crown comment, it's a stw in joke, ignore it 😉

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I rate the Cane Creek S8 as a good budget h/set

but I agree, longer travel forks are advisable. The Inbred isn't that slack to begin with. 80mm is going to be pretty twichy downhill.

warpcow
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I probably will get a longer fork later but the cost of the frame alone is my full budget just now. A 120mm Reba would definitely improve comfort 🙂

Downhill twitchiness may not be a huge issue, the highest point in the Swedish county I live in just now is just 150m. I can't think of a hill that takes more than 2 minutes to get up, let alone down. Most of the trails here a slow, rocky, rooty, techy stuff in the swamps.

FSA it is.

clubber
    Free Member

It's not just dh though. Too fast steering and you'll find it fun but seriously involved. Eg you relax for a sec and you're off… At least on tecnical ( Inc flat stuff ) trails.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Headset advice please’ is closed to new replies.