Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • headset advice needed (which type is this)
  • knott4me
    Free Member

getting to grips in recent years with all the types of headset standards I have now come a cropper. My new focus bike has some metal cups pressed in the headtube,then sit loose ball bearings then a metal seal. Followed by a oval spring clip.what is this type of headset called.the bearings are knacked and worse still the metal cups that bearings sit in are heavily pitted after 2 months.whatever it is this is the worst design I have ever seen.

clubber
    Free Member

Hard to tell from your pic but possibly semi integrated. It's basically a headset that sits in the head tube instead of on top of it.

knott4me
    Free Member

im certain its not a semi-integrated.

they are cartridge ebarings that sit directly into cups in the headtube.

mine is different the metal cups are much larger & house small loose bearings that run on the inside of the cup.

bassspine
    Free Member

its ALL here

knott4me
    Free Member

i read it before i posted on her & it didn,t help me.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I had a similar set up on a GT, but with an oversized headtube.

Check the link above. Find the section: "Low Profile", "Zero Stack", "Integrated with Cups", "Internal Headset", "Semi-Integrated" types

Looks like one of those to me. You should be able to find one with cartridge bearings – but this means replacing the cups that are pressed into the frame (but it sounds like you'll need to do that anyway).

Note that you should measure the inside of the headtube to check if its an 'oversized' one. If so you may need an FSA Orbit Z or similar.

Another alternative is to do a google for "Focus bike-type headset" and see if anyone else has the same question / answer.

knott4me
    Free Member

found the bugger.

fsa zero stack.wiggle replied telling me the type .£50.00 later job done.thanks all

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘headset advice needed (which type is this)’ is closed to new replies.