Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • heads up – best fast summer tyre on the planet on sale for 2/3's of nothing!
  • campfreddie
    Free Member

having tried countless tyres including all the usual continental speed/mountain kings, schwalbe rocket ron, racing ralph, nobby nic etc etc, i have found a true hidden gem in the new Michelin Wild Race’R Advanced.

the tyre is wickedly quick, corners fantastically and is quite light (circa 400g for 2.00″)

anyways… as michelin tyres aren’t really the flavour of the month here in the uk, crc are flogging off all their stock silly cheap.

£14.00 for a 2.0″ and £16.00 for a 2.2″

give them a go and let me know what you think… i’m stocking up on them!

soma_rich
    Free Member

What are the side walls like? I had loads of issues with older wild-grippers having thin side-walls….

flyingmonkeycorps

Tempted to give them (or the Wild Grip’Rs) a crack for the price, lot cheaper than Maxxis.

Stoner
    Free Member

I had loads of issues with older wild-grippers having thin side-walls

snap. had to stitch a gash in one when I was on diddy 26″ wheels a few years ago. Found them very squirmy too. Vowed never to buy michelin again. Same with conti since some mountain kings tried to kill me.

Maxxis/WTB/Panaracer/Kenda all the way for me.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Cheers, just ordered 6.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

At that price I have ordered a pair for the Frankenbike and a pair for the Team Bow I am rebuilding.

njee20
    Free Member

Looks a bit like the Comp S Light of old, which looked like it’d be great. But wasn’t!

smiff
    Free Member

there’s a 2.1 for £15 for some reason
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=81360

guy above ordered 6 on basis of this thread?!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

guy above ordered 6 on basis of this thread?!

They look fine as a summer tyre for the towpath commuter and also for my nieces, and Mrs mw’s bikes which are rarely gnarr’d to the maxx and both in need of new tyres. Light(ish) low rolling resistance, kevlar bead, £14 whats not to like?

campfreddie
    Free Member

i would certainly rate them higher than the equivalent schwalbe (rocket ron) in terms of sidewall etc.

been running them through the winter (even though they are a hard-pack dry tyre) without any issues. they grip amazingly well in mud!

Lazymike
    Free Member

Some cheap Panaracer Razer MX Folders here.

I got one for the rear. Not had a chance to try it out yet but its got to be faster than a Maxxis High Roller 2.3 SuperTacky!

It was on here last week as a PSA so thanks to whoever put it up.

zoota

Oh i hate impulse buying, if i had not resently done so i would being trying out a pair of these 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

i would certainly rate them higher than the equivalent schwalbe (rocket ron) in terms of sidewall etc.

Look like they’ve got a lot less tread than a Ron, which is fine in wet conditions, so I’d hope they were tougher!

campfreddie
    Free Member

well i have just ordered a 2.25″ for the front and a 2.1″ for the rear (for my yeti asr5). i have a 2.25″ front and 2.00″ rear on my ht cannondale.

looks like i will be putting my 2012 25-mile old schwalbe rocket ron 2.25″ evo pacestar and 2.25″ racing ralph evo pacestars up for sale in the classifieds

Janesy
    Free Member

Michelin Wild Race’R Advanced Tubeless Tyre Specifictions:

26X2.00 (52-559) / 127 TPI / 680g / 29-58 PSI / black
    26X2.10 (52-559) / 127 TPI / 720g / 29-58 PSI / black
    26X2.25 (52-622) / 127 TPI / 750g / 29-58 PSI / black

No thanks

campfreddie
    Free Member

err…. why on earth would you want to buy the tubeless version?

i am running the other version tubeless using a joes and stans set-up.

no different to any other tyre type where they do a super-heavy tubeless version with reinforced sidewalls.

2.0″ – 495g – 110tpi
    2.1″ – 530g – 110tpi
    2.25″ – 580g – 110tpi

D0NK

err…. why on earth would you want to buy the tubeless version?

tougher sidewalls.

Anyone know if michelin “tubeless” is UST or just your usual TR.
    http://www.michelinbicycletire.com/michelinbicycle/index.cfm?event=tubelesstech.view
    suggests yes and I’ve already got a couple of older mich usts but
    http://www.michelin.co.uk/bicycle/michelin-wild-grip-r-advanced-tubeless-vtt
    doesn’t seem to say UST anywhere.

singletrackmind

I bought a pair of UST Vredstein T-Lope tyres from Merlin .
    £17.70 each in 2.35 x 26 . Not especially light at 800gm , but have a nice thickness to the sidewall.
    Tread wise , very low profile . Like RRalph , but maybe lower center knobs .
    Can I get the buggers to inflate , can I heck . Tried WUL, tried some gunky sealant , tired pumping with all my might on the track pump. Fail .

6079smithw
    Free Member

Wow, the tyres in the OP are a tenner. Or some version similar, god why can’t Michelin give things different names?

What about these folding tyres for a bit more volume?
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a37668/kardung-la-225-folding.html

Some say Razer 2.3s are nothing like as wide in real life

oldboy
    Free Member

Ordered a pair of the 2.1″ to try on my commuter/occasional off-road 717 wheelset

Klunk
    Free Member

Anyone know if michelin “tubeless” is UST or just your usual TR.

compare weights if its 100-200 grams heavier than the “standard” tyre then it probably UST

tinsy
    Free Member

how do they size up?

The manufacturers all seem to have a differnt takeon what 2.0, 2.1, 2.25 etc actually means!!

TheSwede
    Free Member

I’ll give the 2.4 Wild Grip’R Reinforced a go on the uplift bike for £13 a pop.

Janesy
    Free Member

Well I just ordered a 2.35 race tyre. To go on the rear of the bike. It’s to replace my 2.0 aspen.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘heads up – best fast summer tyre on the planet on sale for 2/3's of nothing!’ is closed to new replies.