Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Headphones for riding (that still let you hear)
  • Stu_N

Remember reading something about headphones that transmit sound via your skull so you can listen to music without blocking your lug holes. Was in an inflight mag or Shortlist or something like that.

Do they actually exist, if so what are they called and do they actually work?

Don’t like not being able to hear my surroundings but some ents on quiet roads or trails is sometimes nice…

Swirly
    Free Member
    mtbel
    Free Member

HOW MUCH ???? 😯 ^^

any in ear headphones that don’t have rubber buds that squish into your ear will do exactly as you require.
    just have the volume adjusted low enough that you can hear your tyres on the ground and you’ll be sweet to hear any traffic etc.
    been doing this for decades.

ie. anything shaped like these
    will be cool.

anything shaped like these
    NOT COOL!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Airdrives

deadkenny
    Free Member

Just use the stock shitty earbuds that come with many MP3 players. They’re usually rubbish at blocking out external noise. 😉

Not that I get listening to music while riding, at least not off road and especially in nice countryside.

mtbel
    Free Member

some of us actually live, work and spend every day in nice countryside but also enjoy music while we ride our bikes.

it’s not exactly difficult to “get”

cloudnine
    Free Member

Mount a small bluetooth speaker on your handlebars..

Suggsey
    Free Member

I’ve actually got Airdrives by the way and they were from a UK supplier and they are exactly what you want. Perfect balance of music to ambient surroundings.

somafunk

I use one of these buckshot bluetooth speakers on the bike, i used to ride with my klipsch x10 earphones but i now prefer the speaker. The included elastic band strap is crap so i use one of these velcro bike mounts, secure enough for the roughest of roads or downhills.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I tend to go with a cheap pair of Skullcandy buds (or whatever is on offer at the time) and cut off the right ear phone, would only ever have 1 ear in but do like some music on long solo rides now and again.

Tend to ride with the lead clamped in my helmet buckle then handy to pop in/out as needed without worrying about it getting tangled up in anything if not being used.

Anyone suggesting speakers.. Christ I hope you’re joking.

somafunk

Nope, but where i live and ride (whether that be mtb or on the road) it is a very unusual occurrence to meet anyone else out on a bike, or any form of transport really, i managed a 25 mile backroad run on sunday afternoon whilst listening to Hell on Two Wheels by Amy Snyder and met no one at all, apart from an old couple in a car who passed me then flagged me down at the next lay-by , they were lost so i drew them a wee map to get back to civilisation.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

When I am on the road, I just have the left earbud, of a cheap set of skull candy in-ear jobbies, in.

Stu_N

I think it was the Aftershock ones I saw, thanks Swirly. Airdrives might be worth a look as well. Bit pricier than I’d hoped though. It’s a lot of money but for solo road rides when the only other noise is the wind, maybe worth it.

The “normal” headphones just won’t stay in my ears at best of time(I think I have tiny earholes) and single bud sounds weird on a lot of music recorded in stereo as you only have one track. Speakers? Maybe for soma but doesn’t appeal for me…

deadkenny
    Free Member

mtbel – Member
    some of us actually live, work and spend every day in nice countryside but also enjoy music while we ride our bikes.

it’s not exactly difficult to “get”

Just seems to me like the riding is seen as a chore and music is used as a distraction. Not saying that is in your case, but just my personal opinion as to why some might want to listen to music out there. I wouldn’t want to ride if that’s the case.

Myself I’m not focused on the riding if I listen to music, and I ride out of enjoyment.

Though I should stress (being aware of how much here is road talk) I’m talking about off road. On the road I can understand using something to relieve the boredom 😉 😛

As said, just my opinion.

benp1

I find the problem is that when I turn my head they often get pulled out, or move slightly, which is very annoying

These fixed that problem entirely – http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-SE-E721-K-Enclosed-Sports-Earphones-Black/dp/B00BAWR8ES

Got them on a black friday deal, can’t remember how much. Have been very pleased with them. The hook over your ear and coiled section of cable are great bits of design

hypnotoad
    Free Member

When I am on the road, I just have the left earbud, of a cheap set of skull candy in-ear jobbies, in.

I’ve tried this method, did you not find that the headphones made the wind noise louder at 20mph + ?

benp1

I don’t listen to music off road, but nearly always on the road, which basically means when I’m commuting

I find it beats the boredom and takes my mind away from what I’m doing, particularly when I’m going uphill

tim333
    Free Member

I listen to music when riding off road canal paths etc and like to hear the world around me and after trying a few types stumbled on these:

Koss KSC75 Clip-On Stereo Headphones

They actually sound great for the price, are nice and open so sound leaks in and also stay in place well.

They do look a bit 80’s though!

mtbel
    Free Member

Just seems to me like the riding is seen as a chore and music is used as a distraction. Not saying that is in your case, but just my personal opinion as to why some might want to listen to music out there. I wouldn’t want to ride if that’s the case.

Myself I’m not focused on the riding if I listen to music, and I ride out of enjoyment.

Though I should stress (being aware of how much here is road talk) I’m talking about off road. On the road I can understand using something to relieve the boredom

As said, just my opinion.I happen to find it quite bizarre when folk form such opinionated views of other peoples reasons for doing stuff they don’t based on absolutely no evidence. 😕

If music played at a volume where you can still hear your tyres ruins your concentration I’d suggest you take up golf before the distraction from a random noise puts you in hospital.
    I enjoy music. I enjoy riding. so when I ride alone I combine the two, it really is that simple.

For someone who expresses they “ride for enjoyment” you seem to allowed naive prejudice to cause you to miss the point entirely with regards to others. Out of interest have you ever ridden a road bike?

deadkenny
    Free Member

As said, opinion. Entitled to them, especially on forums.

And yes have ridden road. Have ridden road bikes exclusively since the early 80s until 6 years ago when it flipped entirely the other way round.

Oh and I have ridden listening to music. Even at a low level I find it distracting. Just me, just my opinion.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Headphones for riding (that still let you hear)’ is closed to new replies.