Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Heading to a Scottish ski resort this weekend
  • andrewy33
    Free Member

I am in two minds as to whether we should head North for some amazing snow this weekend. Will it be too busy or will the road conditions put people off??

Is any body else contemplating making the journey??

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have no idea on access or how busy but given the fantastic conditions then surely its a once in a lifetime no brainer?

carbon337
    Free Member

Aviemore on Monday and Tuesday for me. Give the weekends a miss if you can as it will be heaving.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coffeeking
    Free Member

I'm doing it this weekend, as TJ says, it's a once in a lifetime no brainer and it's being done (though Im' not skiing, I might take a small kite and a kiteboard with no fins). I'll be taking down sleeping bags and shovels and stuff for in case I get stuck, but I'm going anyway.

jimmy

go very early!

i'm heading up one day next week hopefully.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

Access roads to most resorts are all clear A9 cameras can be viewed on traffic scotland webpage

I'm giving it a miss this weekend as the snow isnt going anywhere and it will be stupidly busy

A mate works in a outdoor shop in aviemore and txt me to say they have no rental gear left as its all pre-booked already!!!

stabilizers

You should find most that you need to know here.

http://www.winterhighland.info/general/

or here

http://ski.visitscotland.com/

I dont think I can make it myself….. 😥

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'm giving it a miss this weekend as the snow isnt going anywhere and it will be stupidly busy

Snow's already melting and turning to solid ice just north of Glasgow.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

North of glasgow is a lot lower than any ski resort in scotland!!

its only the start of the season people calm down

coffeeking
    Free Member

It is, but we're still seeing -13 at night and not more than -3 during the day, yet the snow is melting fast even 700m up in the hills around Luss where my camelback froze solid.

the_lecht_rocks

see you at the Lecht tomorrow 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

Is there anywhere with decent snowfall and wide open flat areas, without lifts/pylons/lakes to hit? I want to go kitesnowboarding but there's no wind here where I know some spots to use!

the_lecht_rocks

ski resorts are generally not hilly coffeeking.

re : title : "Heading to a Scottish ski resort this weekend"

NagsNog
    Free Member

I was up there last week and while the cover is the most i have seen ie right down to the carparks the actual conditions are one of the worst i have Boarded on in Scotland, no where near as deep and nice as when i was there 2 years ago on 20th April….Nevis say they have natural hazards at all levels and my board confirms this 😥 …..might be better now like thats just how i found it…

I was at Nevis and Coe i think Glenshee, Gorm and lecht may be better

pistola
    Free Member

Snow's already melting and turning to solid ice just north of Glasgow.

Don't know where you are north of Glasgow today but it was -9 in Bearsden at 11.30 am this morning. Some snow had turned to ice a week or so ago but not going anywhere at the moment….

iainc

ck – it's not 'melting', it's 'sublimation' :

Even when the temperature is below freezing, surface snow cover will gradually reduce over time if no additional snow or moisture precipitates or accumulates on the ground. Ice can go straight from an ice to a vapor. This is called sublimation. Sublimation is fairly slow since it takes quite a bit of energy for an ice molecule to escape the solid rigid structure and escape to a gas. Sublimation will be enhanced under direct sunlight since photons of solar energy will add the energy necessary for solid ice molecules to escape.

AlasdairMc

the_lecht_rocks – Member
    ski resorts are generally not hilly coffeeking

Well the Lecht isn't anyway 😀

2tyred

I was up there last week and while the cover is the most i have seen ie right down to the carparks the actual conditions are one of the worst i have Boarded on in Scotland

Come on now, you can't have been out much!

"Some of the worst" would surely have to include blue solid sheet ice across the entire width of all upper runs(1), a curious mixture of mud, rock and slush apart from a foot-wide strip next to the fences(2) or heather with a sprinkling of spring sugar on top followed by bare scree(3).

Key:
    (1) – conditions described as "icy patches" by Glencoe
    (2) – conditions described as "good sport on offer" by Glenshee
    (3) – conditions described as "daylodge runs good with care" by Cairngorm

and so on!

Glencoe and Nevis haven't caught as much snow as the eastern resorts to build a base out of, and the lack of wind during the December dumps meant that key gullies weren't filled in. There's the odd rock poking through, but conditions at the top of both resorts are pretty nice, given how early in the season we are.

Haven't been east yet, but imagine its pretty nice. Reckon Cairngorm will be very busy, but its a big area so as long as you can get parked it should be great. If conditions are a patch on early Feb last season (when CG got a huge dump and had two days of deep powder down to the Ciste carpark) it'll be magic.

NagsNog
    Free Member

I said the worst i have boarded on in Scotland and it is…maybe i have been lucky in the past..

"Some of the worst" would surely have to include blue solid sheet ice across the entire width of all upper runs(1), a curious mixture of mud, rock and slush apart from a foot-wide strip next to the fences(2) or heather with a sprinkling of spring sugar on top followed by bare scree(3).

I have never experienced that in Scotland…would not go if it was like that..again i did not say it was the worst conditions you could ever have, but among the worst i personnally have had in Scotland…just shows how good i must have had it then…i go 6 or 7 times a year and just pick my days…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Don't know where you are north of Glasgow today but it was -9 in Bearsden at 11.30 am this morning. Some snow had turned to ice a week or so ago but not going anywhere at the moment….

Torrance, and half the snow depth/coverage on my garden has gone.

ck – it's not 'melting', it's 'sublimation' :

The stuff I'm looking at is melting, that's why there's large icicles hanging off the lowest points near it. However it does obviously sublime also, I just don't think that's a major factor at the moment having relatively low sun strength and fairly moist air.

ski resorts are generally not hilly coffeeking.

re : title : "Heading to a Scottish ski resort this weekend"

What?

duckman

Busy or not I will be at the lecht tomorrow trying to keep up with a seriously rapid 7yo (hasn't learnt how much falling hurts yet!) enjoy.

iainc

CK – cannae melt unless temperature over zero or significnat pressure (like deep burial)or chemically altered by salt or similar – simple chemisty 🙂

are the icicles yellow ? 😆

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Heading to a Scottish ski resort this weekend’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts