Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Heading back to HT from FS
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

Who's done it?
    Why did you do it?
    Any disadvantages?

Thinking of going from a 6 inch travel FS to a Bfe or similar but have been on FS 13 years now and don't know if I'm better off as is.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

one of each is best.

Enjoying the HT more for the last 18 months.

HTTP404
    Free Member

A matter of taste.

I did it a few years ago because the trails I were riding (N.Downs) and my type of riding didn't warrant a FS. I've branched out and done the odd trail centre but still not found the need to go back.

coogan
    Free Member

Jeez, these threads seem to appear every week…

letmetalktomark

After riding for years on a HT I decided that last Autumn I would build a FS.

For the sort or riding I usually do it was just overkill (5'' front and back).

I split the build earlier in the year and am now FS less.

But as above its a matter of taste etc.

FS:

HT:

joolsburger
    Free Member

Meh. I'm increasingly coming to the view that I need a Bfe. Shame the colours are so limited.

Arcticdan
    Free Member

Made that exact switch myself 3yrs ago (Nomad to Bfe)! Main reason was that I found that I was getting lazy on the Nomad and that in most cases 6" FS is not required in the UK (where most of my riding is done).

HTTP404 is right it is a taste thing and I'm sure someone will be along shortly with a comment that I just wasn't riding the Nomad right or something, but hey, my choice and I like it!!

Pro's – the Bfe rules…I've taken mine to the Alps (x5 times) and most UK Trail Centres and never felt under-biked. Yes, its hard work towards the end of the day, but its so much more rewarding (again my opinion).

Con's – Bfe's don't pedal the best, angles suit the down's but they are hard work on an all day'r.

I'd say do it…. you'll find you need to ride totally different and start picking your lines rather than just point and shoot!!

Hope this helps.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

coogan – Member
    Jeez, these threads seem to appear every week…

It's the new "I think I want a SS" or "I think I want a 29er" acceptance request to join the stw nichecore.

justa
    Free Member

I find it very hard to go from FS to HT…

It hurts

joolsburger
    Free Member

No need to get stressed fellas, you can always **** right off if you don't want to get involved.

Not sure what's Nichecore about a standard geared hardtail bike?

Dan How tall are you and what size bfe did you go for in the end? I think I've decided if I do do this it will be a Bfe as it has the angles I want and looks strong enough for me.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

FS to HT feels good ,then rigid forks even better, then single speed Nooooooooooo !!!! Dont do it " you will discover the secret " 8)

coogan
    Free Member

start picking your lines

Ah, and there it is. Always gets brought up that one.

thomthumb
    Free Member

gone from a meta 5.5 to a 456.

lovin it right now. just wacked some big old tyres on for the alps trip later this month.

haven't missed the full suss yet.

Arcticdan
    Free Member

I'm 5ft 5" and a bit (little man issues!). I got a small, but mine is the older model when it only came in Small and Medium, couldn't say how it measures up to the current offering!

From memory it measures 15" C to C.

Oli-B
    Free Member

I've got a rigid SS and a FS.

The rigid SS rarely wins the "which bike shall I ride?" competition. Even if it were a hardtail, it would still have its work cut out.

On numerous occasions, I've ridden a section of trail and though "yup, that's what full sus was made for". I haven't yet though "I really wish I had a HT today". I've owned and ridden plenty of HTs and had fun, and I've no doubt a HT would still be loads of fun and nice for a change, but for the riding I do a FS is the answer.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Try it and see – you can always swap back if you don't like it. Doesn't have to be forever 😉

I'd be tempted to say Soul rather than BFe though unless you are running forks longer than 140mm (Angles are the same on both frames just BFe takes longer forks)

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

do it, i'm just in the process of building one up again, after a few years riding fs, and most of the time locally leaving it in pro pedal, and wishing i had something lighter. wont be selling the fs though, but it will be mainly for trips away.

mooman
    Free Member

As said. It depends totally on what type of riding you do..

Just about any bike will get you around any given trail. So its all about how you want to get around.

a mx bike out does a fs .. a fs out does a ht .. a geared ht out does a ss .. a ht ss out does a fully rigid ss ….. but some people get their kicks from different things??

mboy
    Free Member

One of each (and a 29er! 😉 ) is the answer… It's the only way!

In all seriousness though, I rode full sus bikes almost exclusively for years. I grew up riding rigid (because I couldn't afford decent sus forks at the time) before progressing to front sus, then quickly to full sus as I thought it was the holy grail.

In the last 14 years, I've owned all manner of different full suspension bikes, and a few hardtails, and I can honestly say that there have only been a couple of hardtails I've actually liked in that time. Several of them, whether it was the geometry that was off, or they were too stiff or whatever, I didn't gel with them. That said I love both the hardails I have now (Genesis Altitude 853 and a 29er On One Inbred), and am hoping the recent addition (Cotic BFe frame) will prove its worth too.

I think the biggest problem was that I had some very good full sus bikes over the years, and I'd become a bit lazy on them cos they let me get away with a lot. To jump onto a hardtail that didn't feel that right in the first place, meant they often got sold pretty quickly. But I just gelled with both my Genesis and my Inbred straight away, and as a result they get ridden loads more than my full susser these days!

emac65
    Free Member

Do it several times a week,then to 29er,then back to FS,then back to SS,then h/tail,then back to rigid,then back to 85mm FS,then onto 100mm FS then 130 mm FS then back to h/tail,then fat tyres,then thin tyres,kn0obbly tyres semi slicks,then fs,then…. ad infinitum…..

It's all ridin' & all good ……Happy days 😀

M6TTF
    Free Member

One of each! Although I'd say the only place I prefer the FS is on technical rocky climbs as it tracks so much better

reggiegasket
    Free Member

sorry to hijack but…

mboy

.. can you check your email re. the brakes I've buying off you, ta

bol

I started off on hardtails, then got very excited and a bit disappointed by a 5ins full suss. It just didn't feel as much fun (and this is speaking as a not particularly experienced or skillful rider). I switched back to a hardtail, then thought I needed a 6ins full susser for bigger trips. Found that disappointing too, so ended up with a longer travel hardtail, which I love. Took it to Afan a couple of weeks ago, and felt beaten up after a few hours, but loved it. Would have been quicker, easier and more relaxed on a full suss, but I don't think I'd have had more fun. I haven't ridden a bfe, but I've got a cotic with a 130 fork which seems plenty to me and goes up hill really well too.

jedi

ride the bike you WANT . need is another thing altogether 🙂

GEDA
    Free Member

All the best riders have LT hardtails now. It will make you a better and cooler rider. As you get past 30 this is important.

jedi

nah, some of us have always had long travel hts 🙂

GEDA
    Free Member

Big drops on to bumps = suspension.
    Lack of skill/bad hair day/bad landing = suspension
    pain in wrists/whole body = suspension

can't be bothered or just plain stupid and can't work out how to set up a full suss = Hard tail
    smooth trails = Hard tail

Ok just random list before I go to sleep but I love my Patriot for brake bumps, rock fests and helping me out both in skill compensation and butt saving when things get difficult and I love my Dailled Alpine for the feeling of speed and me doing the work on any other trail which is most of my riding.

jedi

🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

can't be bothered or just plain stupid and can't work out how to set up a full suss = Hard tail
    smooth trails = Hard tail

That's me, never had FS, never going to. I don't see what the fuss is about. If you can't ride it on an HT, it's not real riding. 😉

Deano100
    Free Member

Been riding a Kona Coilair (6") for the last 2 years. Bought a Soul for long days XC but now using the Soul for trail centre riding & pretty much everything.

Will be using the Coilair tomorrow for an uplift day, but speaks volumes that I now use the HT 90% of the time.

I think a good hardtail is plenty enough bike for most things.

convert

If you are like me and think too much you will never have the right bike. A year ago I went from a 4" fs as my only mtb (plus other bikes of different road orientated flavours) to a ti456. Then I bought another (29er) hardtail to build up afline hub geared for winter and gloopy stuff and thought it was silly having 2 hardtails so got a 5spot instead of the ti456. I really love both of these bikes (lots) but realised that most of my riding suits a 4 inch racy fs more than anything else which I had in the first place and whilst either of the other 2 will be fine, neither are ideal.

You can go round and around this without ever being happy forever I recon until you learn to just ride what is in the shed which I never have.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Heading back to HT from FS’ is closed to new replies.