Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hayes Stroker – how to get pistons out?
  • kitebikeski
    Free Member

Todays frusrating job is to replace the pistons on Hayes brakes, but how do you get the pistons out?
    First attempt pushed one out with the other still fully home in it’s housing, and nothing to get hold of to pull it ou.
    Bled the system and pushed both out part way – but now it doesn’t look like there is space to remove the piston from the caliper – because of the other part way out piston.
    Top tips please!

Thanks

Simon

Split the caliper.

jonk

Split the calliper and pull it out with the pad nipple.

kitebikeski
    Free Member

Thanks guys – had wondered about that but hesitated in case it wasn’t right.

Back to the shed…..

mrbotticelli

Not sure whether you managed to get your pistons out.

If you haven’t yet, then this is what I did with my Hayes 9’s last night to sort a stuck piston.

Removed the pads.
    Pulled the lever until the non-sticking piston came out.
    Split the calliper.

To remove the stuck piston, I did the following;

Cut a one inch section of inner tube with the valve in the middle, so effectively I had a one inch wide rubber band with a valve in.
    Removed the o-ring from the calliper that lets fluid pass from one half to the other.
    Attached the inner tune value/loop to a track pump.
    Wrap the piston in a cloth, to stop it flying across the room.
    Held the valve/loop down onto the hole.
    Got wife to press down on the track pump.

The pump should be hard to press down, but the piston will hopefully ‘pop’ out into the cloth.

Hopefully the above makes sense and is useful, and is less likely to damage the piston.

Got to do the rear this evening.

MarkN
    Free Member

Pulling on the centre pin that the pads retain on to is a no no assuming tit is the same as Hayes 9. This will very easily be broken off and then your piston is knackered. Get some compressed air in to the back of the cylinder and wrap a cloth round the front to catch the cylinder.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hayes Stroker – how to get pistons out?’ is closed to new replies.