Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hayes HFX mag, G2 ??? Old brakes…..
  • type17
    Free Member

Hi all, picked up a hardtail lately, its an older Kona, wanting to change a couple things on a tight budget etc. I am just looking for some info on the brakes (pics below), if anyone can stay awake long enough to read through the below essay, any help is much appreciated.

I have been reading some conflicting bits and bobs about calipers which look like these ones, I am unsure if they are “HFX mag” or “G2” or indeed if this is one and the same. Are these better in some way than the Hayes 9?

I also read these are possibly a 22mm caliper which has a different mount…. different IS mount to accomodate larger caliper? Also read they are possibly worth a bit of money to people who like that sort of thing?

Thinking of changing them for some Formula K18 as I run them on my full suss and are cheap secondhand/reliable. I am open to suggestions though on what brakes to buy, budget under £50 which will just about get me some k18’s on ebay….

So any tip’s anyone? Thanks all.

Phatman
    Free Member

IIRC the caliper is the G2 and, the difference between he HFX-9’s and HFX Mags was the lever.

type17
    Free Member

Hi, thanks for pointing that out, they are definetly a different lever alright. Anyone know if I go to use a standard is mount with these if I will have any problems. It any other info? Front caliper is quite spongey so think I will bleed front and rear before thinking of seals/pistons

fenboy

i’ve got some HFX mags, they fit standard mounts. I’d just bleed them and see how they are. they’re good brakes not subtle but pretty bombproof, you can get all the spares you might need form CRC if you need to replace anything!

type17
    Free Member

Definetly not subtle haha different than what I am used to, but yeah I will have a go at bleeding and see what happens, thanks.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Used to have some on a well used kona coiler
    Loads of power but a little on off lol

sssimon
    Free Member

that’s a mag comp by the look of it, 74mm G1 mag caliper and most likely a composite (read plastic) lever body

decent brakes fairly bomb proof but not the best lever feel

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hayes HFX mag, G2 ??? Old brakes…..’ is closed to new replies.