Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hayes HFX-9 Rubbing Pads Problem
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bike: Reign Zero with Hayes HFX-9 (Carbon, but that’s just the levers I think, no different to any other HFX-9)

There is a bad rubbing problem on the front. From what I can see, both pads are “out” a little further than they should be, with one side “out” way further than it should be. If I take out the front wheel and push them both back in, they either push back out or stay in until the brake is pulled, then push out and rub again. The rubbing is ok until I actually get on the bike and ride whereupon, I end up getting a terrible howling, especially on slower climbs where I’m probably putting a bit of extra flex on the forks.

Sounds to me like they need proper full blown bleeding. I’ve done this with the back, and TBH, while eventually successful, it was a bit of a pain in the arras.

I’m riding tomorrow and have neither the fluid or time this evening to properly bleed them. The howling will piss everybody off!

Any ideas? I’m thinking, undo the bleed nut, push them back in, redo the bleed nut and put up with having to pull them a little harder on the ride tomorrow.

Having said all this, I’ve had them over two years, with absolutely no problem at all apart from straightening out the disks every so often. They’ve been absolutely fault free.

Suggestions for a quick fix (LBS will be getting bike next week for a proper service) welcome. Thanks everybody.

daveh
    Free Member

If the pads won’t stay back, let a little bit of fluid out of the system (crack caliper nipple but don’t let the fluid get on the pads). You may need to add fluid back again when the pads wear down.

If one piston always pushes out first then the other one is sticking a bit. You can try cleaning the piston outer edge (pump them out as far as you dare!), lube the piston outer edge (brake fluid) or hold the moving pad back with the ring spanner until the sticking one moves out.

I’ve found HFX9s to be fit and forget until pad change time. They then require an amount of faffing about with to sort out but once done you’re back to forget again.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Let some fluid out if you really need to, but do it at the lever end – tilt the lever so it’s standing upright, pull the wee plug out, then push the pads back.

Hayes are often a bit tight and rubby with new pads but wear in very quickly.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve fettled a bit but now they’re squeaking like right little feckers! Maybe a bit of lube on the disks might stop the sqeuaking?

TheDoog
    Free Member

Lube on the disc?? As in oil?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I was only messing…

TheDoog
    Free Member

I should hope so too, but i found cleaning discs with alcohol reduces squeaking, if you aint got neat alcohol, alcohol based stuff works fine. Think deodorants, lynx works, your bike smells fresh and women chase you.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

got hfx 9s on mine found them to be a bit intolrante of some pads i use oem ones and don’t have any probs

gravitydroppersrock
    Free Member

does meths clean rotors?

Bazz

^^^ it does in my house!!

Reluctant
    Free Member

In my experience, loosing a little fluid doesn’t help. Because it’s an “open” system, the diaphragm compensates for lower fluid level and you’re back where you started. The real problem sounds like a sticky piston seal which stops the pads retracting fully. Lubing the edge of the pistons with brake fluid and the pads removed should help short term; long term have the caliper rebuilt with new seals. Lots of Hayes do this after a while.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If the pads push out on their own there is air in the system. Nothing else can make them do that.

Sounds to me like a air in the system combined with a sticky piston

cx_monkey

Second what Reluctant and Tandem jeremy say – got a couple of sets of Hayes, and the pistons walk out over time, and wont go back in properly – it’s down to seal wear and dirt – a new piston and seal kit, with new fluid will get them back to brand new. Generally find a full service on them once every two years is about right..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Generally find a full service on them once every two years is about right..

That sounds about right then. They have been really good though. I haven’t even had to replace the pads and there’s still plenty left on them (maybe because I am a fearless space-ranger type bikist and don’t pull ’em much 😈 )

It’s prob my own fault for leaving them caked for weeks after my last winter ride. Silly me. 😕

What would I be looking at £-wise for the LBS to do the full service on them front and back?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hayes HFX-9 Rubbing Pads Problem’ is closed to new replies.