Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hayes El Camino Brakes
  • alexpalacefan

Going for £40 an end at CRC, is this a bargain? Can't seem to find any reviews.

Cheers all,

APF

MrTall
    Free Member

I have one on the back of my singlespeed. No problems with it as yet although to be fair i don't singlespeed much (had a blast in the snow tonight though and it was silent which is more than can be said for the screaming Hope Mono M4 i have up front….). One minor niggle is that they look quite bland but that's not the end of the world is it?

Shouldn't think you'll go too far wrong at £40 an end? If you hate them you'll get £20-£30 back on ebay anyway.

chilli
    Free Member

GF has em on her bike,they've been really good,easy to bleed and really adjustable at the lever at £40 they're a bargain.

slowrider
    Free Member

they arent bad, especially at that money. I used to have two pairs, the pair with big rotors were great initially, didnt fade even in the alps, aftet a year they did die a bit of a death, the pistons broke in to small pieces, maybe cooked? The other pair were fine, the adjusters kept winding out but a touch of loctite sorted that. The pads can rattle a bit and i ripped a pair out once but at that price id take a punt.

YokelLad
    Free Member

I have a pair.

If you already have rotors and disc mounts which fit, the brakes might just be worth buying at that price (the brake's sucessor, the Stroker Trail is £60 / end with rotors and mounts). There are a few other choices at CRC around the same price: Deore, Tectro. Unlike Shimano, parts are available for Hayes.

Power and modulation are good enough. With a 160mm rotor up front, braking on descents is "fun" (63 Kg rider), will I stop in time? Definately adds to the excitement.

Be careful when removing pads, the post in the piston in susceptible to bending or breaking away from the piston; it's not that delicate but should be treated with care.

Grease the compression nut before fitting. I had one of these seize, an attempt at removing it caused the master cyclinder to shear (cast not CNC).

Bleeding can be a faf. If reverse bleeding fails, the diaphram may be removed (requires removal of master cyclinder assembly from handlebar) and the brake bled from the master cylinder; this may be more difficult with fixed hose guides.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

They're cheaper than V-Brakes; what's not to like?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hayes El Camino Brakes’ is closed to new replies.