Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Hay fever. Any good ideas to stop the misery?
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

Does anyone have any bright ideas about trying to combat hay fever?
    Medication is already perscribed (& taken), but if anyone has any good natrual options, then I'm all ears.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Nettle tea is meant to be about the only natural one I've heard. Seemed to work a little for me, but nowhere near as good as medication.

Mounty_73

Local honey, if its taken early enough can help also help with relief.

Wrap around sun glasses and a little vaseline under the nose to trap pollen.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickc

Local honey, if its taken early enough can help also help with relief.

Did nothing for me, but it was nice.

damion
    Free Member

If my nose is bad I eat ice cream. Works a treat.

Stick it to the roof of your mouth until its gone completely numb.
    Ice lollies don't work as wel, but I had to do a lot of experimenting.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Thanks.
    We've tried both the honey & also the nettle tea, with no joy.

The vaseline might not work as the "patient" has dementia so won't remember why his top lip is all sticky!

I'll pass on the ice cream idea.
    Thanks

ski
    Free Member

little Vaseline applied inside the nose helps me this year

First time in 40 years I have suffered with this btw, so maybe its just a bad year for it, well I hope so.

EDIT – opps just spotted the post above, sorry for double post advice.

meehaja
    Free Member

problem with vaseline is as soon as you blow your nose its gone. I take fexafenadine 120mg which helps, only real cure I found was kenalog injcetions, but they wont do that anymore apparently 🙁

only other resonably effective remedy I've found is smoking. It may be a placebo, but here's my theory (feel free to shoot this down with facts and/or common sense, I appreciate hayfever isn't as bad as lung cancer, but here we go…)

If you smoke, you have less ability to taste or smell things, I am under the impression that this is due to the hot smoke damaging taste buds and the hairs in your nose. By blowing hot smoke through my nose, I find it runs a bit then I become quite dry. For some reason this then eases my hay fever symptoms leading to the wholly unscientific theory that the hot smoke may be damaging the mucous membranes ability to recognise the pollen and react innapropriately to it. Whilst at Glastonbury, I found my medication would wear off around 5-6pm When I would take OTC cetrizine and loratadine and have a smoke. Tablets alone seemed to take a while to take effect, and this is often the time of day when I suffer the most, but the addition of the cigarette seemed to help.

However, could it be that the cigarette raises BP and heart rate briefly releaving symptoms some other way? Who knows, seems to work though.

I personally hate it when people coo "have you got a little bit of hayfever, ooh i always get a bit sniffy this time of year"! I've been given adrenaline twice for anaphylaxis, thats not "a little bit" thats actually quite serious! Though I do apprecite in the eyes of darwin, I should have died the first time I sniffed a flower!

the-muffin-man

Smelling salts used to work for me- no idea why!!!

woody2000

Don't forget the meds work best when taken continuously, not just when symptoms are worst.

Nothing else works for me, though sunglasses help

sharki
    Free Member

This is first year i've gone without taking meds to ease the affects of hayfever, i usually suffer worse during the end of may begining of june.

Apart from several days of being in agony with sore eyes and the streaming nose that soaked two buffs and a T-shirt daily, it hasn't really been too bad…actually it was horrid but the suffering is good for the soul…

Keeping the patient indoors and away from strong light and breezy places can help, i found first thing and in the late afternoon were the worse times for it….

For sore eyes, iced towels eased the pain a little.

thepurist

I got de-sensetised when I was younger by having a series of jabs of some sort of grass pollen type solution, one a week for 10 weeks in spring, for 3 consecutive years. The first one was clear, the last one was green soup. I went in for a set of allergy tests to find out what the culprit was & they smear some of the allergen on your skin then just give it a little nick – if the skin reacts that shows an allergy. The trouble was that the grass pollen one reacted so violently that the red blotch filled my entire forearm, so they couldn't tell if I was allergic to anything else. Since then I've generally been fine – I used to have days where I was completely immobilised and all I could do was lay down in a dark room with damp towels on my face. The drug I was prescribed before that was 'Daneral SA' – that knocked me out cold for the first day but was then OK, so had to be taken pre-emptively.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Have you tried various types of medication? I have perenial rhinitis which is basically hayfever all year round. I spent years learning to cope with permanent runny nose and itchy eyes as I'd tried numerous nasal sprays and anti-histamines however I've finally found something that works. 20mg of Cetirizine (which can be bought over the counter) daily, I was also told by my GP this is one of the safest drugs out there and can be taken daily all year round with no side effects or long term problems it's worked wonders for me.

krag
    Free Member

As above try different medication. The only one I find works for me is Benadryl Acrivastine which typically still has a patent so there's no own brand cheap versions of it.

Esme
    Free Member

Sniffing lavender oil helps me. I found this out by chance, when I parked too close to a lavender bush, in Sainsbury's car park

duntmatter
    Free Member

Move to Greenland? 🙂

alexxx
    Free Member

i user suffer extremely badly from it but this years been fine only a few bad days that didnt last long, usually its 2 months of ripping my eyes out and sitting in a and e for a steroid injection.

none and i mean none of the meds worked for me, this year the only thing thats changed is me moving 6 miles out of home into a small town, maybe thats the cure not being in the heart of the country? god knows, fingers crossed for it to be this good next year!

Mof
    Free Member

My hayfever suffering seems to be reducing with age. Had it since about seven years old (now 51). Over the last five or six years I've noticed the symptoms have started later in the year and ended sooner. Not sure if this is due to my advancing years or possibly something to do with environmental changes..maybe the pollen that affects me is loosing out to climate change (Bring on global warming if that's the case). Anyway.. when I feel the need to take a pill, either of the two main drugs work well, Loratadine or the other one begining with a "C", (Cimetadine or something like that). Both work fine. Doesn't have to be the big brand names like Clarityn either… own brand supermarket stuff works just as well at a fraction of the price.

If you are out in the evening as the air cools and airborne pollen starts to fall back to ground level, when you get home, just keep the windows closed and take a bath / shower to wash the stuff off your body and out of your hair… Simples. If your eyes are really itchy.. Optrex sorts it.

glenp
    Free Member

Wash your face and hands frequently.

If all else fails, go to the seaside. Blessed relief, if the wind is coming off the sea.

organic355
    Free Member

Does anyone have any bright ideas about trying to combat hay fever?

Chop down all of the trees. My house backs onto a forest and wit the recent wind blowing the pollen from the trees I have been dying!

dan1980
    Free Member

The only way!

odannyboy
    Free Member

nettle tea? honey! you obviously dont get it like me.get some proper drug in ya!then take some more!
    if you really suffer hassle your doctor into booking you into your local authority allegy clinic. they told me loads that the docs dont.i.e
    most anti histamines dont last all day.altho most tablets are "one a day" thay average 8 hours then run out.unless youre a midget or 95 you can take more.
    you can mix antihistamines.diferent types are compatable.
    take tablets nose sprays and eye drops.cover all areas and keep taking them even if you feel ok-all season.
    hth

Marge
    Free Member

I know this won't help but I'm delighted to say this is the first year in about 25 that I haven't had to take any medication.
    Still have some symptoms but nothing too mental (nearly died once after a bad reaction in Scotland!)

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Twenty five years of clogged-up snotty face and thick head from mucus and/or medication. I tend to dread the summer months.

This year, I've stopped drinking tea and removed dairy products from my diet. Although I still get the occasional eye-itch, dealt with by drops or a cold, wet cloth, I have had no problem at all from bunged-up sinuses or runny nose. I suspect that only fellow sufferers will understand just how much of a relief it is to be able to breathe easily and not be constantly wiping/blowing my nose.

oldgit
    Free Member

Mine came on at 16 and bad right through to my late thirties. It eased off when I hit forty. Then I went the honey glasses route and one Piraton at night and it completely went when I was 43.

Edit; I used to find blowing my nose into tissues made it worse, I assumed the tiny paper particles added to the mix. But the medication did work if I took it the night before. Also showers helped.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Hay fever. Any good ideas to stop the misery?’ is closed to new replies.