• This topic has 69 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Having some second thoughts about selling our house !!
  • renton
    Free Member

Finally got rid of a dodgy tenant and we are meant to be exchanging and completing on the house sale this week.

The problem is we’ve been down to the house today for the first time in well over a year and have seen through the work that needs doing and pretty much fell in love with it again.

Don’t want to be a dick and pull out of sake but also worried we won’t get anything as nice for our money in a couple of years when we come to buy again.

Argh my head hurts.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Pull out. It’s a business transaction.

poolman
    Free Member

I have been there too, I would pull out as the buyers would probably do it to you if they changed their mind.

As above its a business decision

renton
    Free Member

Head is saying one thing but heart is saying another.

Needs work but can’t afford to do it at the moment.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Pull out, find some better tenants (and agent), and let it out again.

Kryton57

At the very least, Renton is consistent.

renton
    Free Member

Bit harsh kryton.

jekkyl

consistently unhappy with any decision he makes?

renton
    Free Member

It would need work doing before we could rent it out again thanks to previous tenants decorating ideas.

renton
    Free Member

consistently unhappy with any decision he makes

We were happy to stick it up for sale at the time as we were having nothing but hassles with the tenants and just wanted rod.

As I’ve said it’s the first time I’ve seen the house in well over a year.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Well, I don’t know about the area you’re in, but the basement flat next door is still unsold months after going on the market. I notice the asking price has dropped by £20,000. Another neighbour had to also drop the price of her place by a similar amount, just to get any interest. And the value of another place that sold last January has dropped by £30,000-50,000 depending on whichever online guide you choose. Bottom line is, prices are actually dropping, despite whatever any ‘experts’ might suggest. This is an affluent, desirable part of London with excellent transport links, good schools, amenities and great outdoor spaces nearby. Of course, this has happened post-Brexit vote, but it does suggest a cooling down of the property market in certain areas.

renton
    Free Member

Doesn’t seem to be the case down here. Desirable houses are getting snapped up at over asking in some cases.

jekkyl

2 points. Firstly you’re amongst friends here, it’s all good natured joshing. Secondly, don’t put threads up here if you don’t want people taking the P coz they will, a lot. That’s all that goes on. 🙂

Kryton57

renton – Member

Bit harsh kryton.

I’ve taken my fair share of flak, and I’d suspect the end is not yet in sight. I’m only refering in jest to your “this one, no that one” mentality which now seems to have transcended bikes 😉

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

You don’t want to sell? Well, don’t sell?

Contracts have not been exchanged. It’s fine to pull out. Your buyers would pull out if their circumstances changed or they found something better.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Doesn’t seem to be the case down here. Desirable houses are getting snapped up at over asking in some cases.”

I think some parts of the London market are seeing a slight shrinking of the bubble. It appears to have a slow puncture. I’m also hearing about increasing numbers of people selling up and buying bigger outside London. But I’d say a shrinking of the London market could possibly be an indication things are about to change. Of course, I could be completely wrong. 😆

renton
    Free Member

Ah deep down I knkw it’s all jesting but I’m so stressed about it all I’m taking it all to heart.

I really don’t want to be a dick about it.

sbob
    Free Member

renton – Member

Bit harsh kryton.

Dry yer eyes.

It’s not rude if it’s true. 😛

Dickyboy

Sounds like you should keep it if you can, forget price movement that’s anyone’s guess, but do the sums, come to a decision and stick to it

mountainman

If it’s only decoration to do,get your overalls out n get stuck IN.

wwaswas

How will you protect yourself from the next set of duff tenants?

If you don;t know then sell.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Almost sounds like OP should move into this house and either sell or rent out their current dwelling.

renton
    Free Member

I currently live in a military married quarter two hours away from this house so that is to far to commute there and baxk each day.

The other option is for me to move into the singles block again and my wife and kids live in this house and I would only see them at the weekend.

Kryton57

renton – Member

Ah deep down I knkw it’s all jesting but I’m so stressed about it all I’m taking it all to heart.

I really don’t want to be a dick about it.

Sorry pal, I recently created a thread of reverse proxy, you can jump on there and take piss if you want…

alexxx
    Free Member

Do you think your wife and kids will have a better quality life at this house and away from you more? Can you even imagine the thought of that lifestyle? and if so and it doesn’t phase you both why not try it..

If places are going cheaper and you’re selling at a good price you’ll probably pick up something better when you’re looking again… sounds like you don’t need to keep it to me unless you’re fixated on why you should

edhornby

Given that the cost of moving is a drain, going off market to go back on in the short future seems perverse, I’d re-let with a proper agency and move back in when you are out of army or whatever you do next

MrSmith
    Free Member

Well, I don’t know about the area you’re in, but the basement flat next door is still unsold months after going on the market. I notice the asking price has dropped by £20,000. Another neighbour had to also drop the price of her place by a similar amount, just to get any interest. And the value of another place that sold last January has dropped by £30,000-50,000 depending on whichever online guide you choose. Bottom line is, prices are actually dropping, despite whatever any ‘experts’ might suggest. This is an affluent, desirable part of London with excellent transport links, good schools, amenities and great outdoor spaces nearby. Of course, this has happened post-Brexit vote, but it does suggest a cooling down of the property market in certain areas.

SE19 here and a flat in my small block sold for £320k right in the middle of brexit. I paid 2/3 of that 18months ago. Stuff is selling, it’s not all doom and gloom, some of bigger properties nearer 3/4million are a bit slower to shift though.

poolman
    Free Member

There’s still a lot of v speculative pricing going on. I have just been looking at kt2 and flats there are 2016 plus 100k. But they aren’t selling and when they do its at 2016 prices. Agents have to value high or they won’t get any instructions. Rents are not increasing, but not decreasing either. Price it right it will go.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be selling it if I were you. It’s tough finding and buying a house and includes a lot of costs and stress.

Stick with it as it sounds like you’ll regret it if you don’t.

zanelad
    Free Member

Wasn’t it Robert de Niro’s character in Ronin who said “Where there’s doubt, there is no doubt”

Pull out, pull out now. Good advice at any time 🙂

jimplops

That was Heat lol.

BadlyWiredDog

If I were your buyer and I’d invested time, money, dreams etc in the house you were about to sell me only to have you pull out at the last moment because, on a whim, you’ve ‘fell in love with it again’ and, on top of that, you can’t actually afford to do what needs doing to it anyway, I’d think you were a dick.

On the other hand, you may be about to sell it to a buy-to-let landlord, in which case, it’s slightly different. There’s no ‘right’ answer obviously, but no-one seems to be concerned about the impact on your prospective buyer. Mind you, as I discovered on another STW thread today, a fair proportion of STWers lust after heinously ugly, £5,000+ cock watches… 😐

zanelad
    Free Member

That was Heat lol.

Sorry, definitely Ronin. De Niro says it to Jean Reno when they’re sat in a parked car.

slackboy

Sam: Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt. That’s the first thing they teach you.
    Vincent: Who taught you?
    Sam: I don’t remember. That’s the second thing they teach you.

g5604
    Free Member

Absolutely pathetic to be honest.

I have paid £1200 so far, yet to exchange. If our buyer pulls out now it will be devastating.

jam-bo

A good demonstration of why the English system is shit.

Offers should be binding and acceptance of offers should be binding. Pretty shitty move if you do pull out.

renton
    Free Member

Yes I know hence why I’m stressed to bits about it.

I would be very pissed off if it was the other way round.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

After everyone has ripped into you renton, lot’s of people do change their minds – buyers and sellers.

Circumstances change.

I’ve had plenty of buyers pull out even just before exchange. Instead of crying, I just put it on the market.
    Buyers have lost their jobs, couldn’t get a mortgage or couldn’t sell their house/chain effect.

If there hasn’t been any costs or professional inspections, then pull out and use an agent to find a tenant.

Whatever you do a 2nd time around, don’t use the same method and expect a different result.

I was moving and had a last minute job offer 6 years ago and had to pull out. Yeah I felt sh*tty but it saved me £8000 in rent and when I sold 2 years later I made another £20K.

Luckily the buyer had only made an offer and no more. If they had employed solicitors etc. then yes I would be liable to pay their fees.

The people having a dig at you are people who have had bad experiences or people winding you up.

Make a decision after thinking it over and stick to it without regret.

Reflect and don’t make the same mistake.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Luckily the buyer had only made an offer and no more. If they had employed solicitors etc. then yes I would be liable to pay their fees.

You may feel morally liable to pay their fees but legally I don’t think so.
    Renton, check you estate agents contract. You may be liable to pay their fee if you withdraw from the sale to a proceedable buyer they have found you.

TimothyD
    Free Member

If you’re renting the home out to have somewhere to go to after the army, holding onto it seem like a good idea – especially if you still like the place.

Hth

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Having some second thoughts about selling our house !!’ is closed to new replies.