Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Haven't been on my steed for four months and……
  • monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I,m doing a 30 mile local ride tomorrow.Will I die,any tips?
    Oh and I,m a reasonably fit middle aged bloke.Cheers for any SERIOUS contributions.The naked ape.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Tips on dying? Hold your breath and count to 500….(I’d class that as serious)

andyl
    Free Member

You called it a steed, your punishment is lots of pain tomorrow 😛

Take more water than you think you will need as you will probably need it. And food with the right stuff to prevent cramps.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bit of oil on the chain would probably be a good idea.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have you fed and watered it over the 4 months? There might be a big pile of crap behind it and it might be grumpy.

Honest and serious tips?
    Take it steady, take some extra energy sweet stuff and so long as you turn the pedals the bike will go forwards.

KonaTC

I recommend a late night after a massive take-a-way beer and/or wine sleep late and turn up without water or food will result in a great tide.

Top tip over

ricky1
    Free Member

My advice…..if your reading this then your not in bed,suggest you get there so you have energy to rip your lungs out of your chest and hand them to the gods,seriously,you will be surprised how fit you still are,iff not physically then mentally.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I rode my MTB this week for the first time in 6 months due to an operation. I have been on the road bike a few times and in the gym a reasonable amount over the past 3 months. My legs are surprisingly good (I seem to be better at climbing) but my lungs and back are bollocksed. For me 30m on the road bike tomorrow would be fine but on the MTB I would be close to actual death.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Perhaps I might start slow and get slower.Its a ride on pretty level terrain,I’m just not convinced hiking and weight training are of much use when cycling.

timmys

You say you’re middle aged yet you call a bicycle a “steed” and can’t punctuate or use a space bar. I’d say you have much bigger problems than riding a bike.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Umm,cheers for that positive contribution Tim nice but dim.I’m just of to buy a space bar for my Smartphone.

ricky1
    Free Member

Let us know how you get on,have a good ride.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Working your legs in the gym can build the muscles and make peddling easier, especially the low speed hard stuff.

br
    Free Member

You say you’re middle aged yet you call a bicycle a “steed” and can’t punctuate or use a space bar. I’d say you have much bigger problems than riding a bike.

🙂

Maybe middle-age is 30?

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I,m a third of the way through and just beginning to wish Id cycled through the winter.Still its a nice day and I seem to be clearing all the snot from my head.My hanky is soaked.Any support appreciated.Neeps.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Oh and I,m drinking like a fish(worryingly.

devash
    Free Member

I recommend a late night after a massive take-a-way beer and/or wine sleep late and turn up without water or food will result in a great tide.

Top tip over

😆

This brought back painful memories.

Coyote
    Free Member

Hmm… I went out last week round the lakes after being off the BIKE since August. Fitness was fine as I’m in the gym 3 – 4 times a week. What I wasn’t ready for was the morning after. Felt like I’d had a six month spell inside as “Big Jimmy’s” bitch. Didn’t sit down all day. Good luck.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Halfway now,I,m about to have a cheese crisp sandwich.Cause I’m bright.I will also go for the Coca Cola option.Think my butt could be red rare tomorrow.Apes.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Beginning to flag,any advice.10 miles to go.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Taxi.

rOcKeTdOg

30 miles is just a warm up surely? 😉

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

ricky1 I,ve managed all 34 miles.Not sure what shape I,ll be in tomorrow,bad I suspect.Yours rare butt.

slowoldman

Oh and I,m drinking like a fish(worryingly.

Is the steed well watered?

cumberlandsausage
    Free Member

update please!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Just of out for a walk,then do some stretches.I,m starting to tighten up.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Don’t care about my steed.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

34 miles in 4.23 hours(Includes lots of breaks).Average speed just under 8mph,kcals burnt 3500.Bottom covered in skin cream.

ricky1
    Free Member

Give yourself a pat on the back and a beer,I know people that ride 4 times a week and struggle to do 20 miles in one go,you might have to get the cream out and apply generously throughout the day,sounded like you had fun any road,thanks for the updates,enjoyed reading and knowing how you got on,I love biking and I can relate all to much to some of the experiences you had,well done.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Thanks Ricky,to be fair it was only a localish pootle so not any big climbs.In fact it was mainly dirt track and tarmac.On the other hand it was done on my Carrare Banshee X.All 34lbs of her!
    Anyhow today I have that nice warm smug feeling of the well exercised.Anybody recognise that feeling?My STEED however is in a shocking state.Neeps.

renton
    Free Member

Fair play bud.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Thanks Renton.Time for a snooze me thinks.Beds are more comfortable than chairs at the moment.

tragically1969
    Free Member

34 miles in 4.23 hours(Includes lots of breaks).Average speed just under 8mph,kcals burnt 3500.Bottom covered in skin cream

Erm, 3500 Cals in a 34 mile ride at 8mph, what gave you that figure ? is suggest whatever it was you ignore it, i would be surprised if it was anything even near 1200 Cals……..

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Endomondo,I thought it was a bit high,still I did find myself eating and drinking all the time.And since.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Bit more stiff and tired today than yesterday.Perhaps the adrenaline is still pumping around next day.I,d like to go out on my bike for a spin,in order to loosen up my legs.My backside strongly disagrees with this notion however.

mcnik
    Free Member

Cream on arse _before_ the ride is the secret.

Also, after being off the bike, the arse is the 1st thing to complain. Just a few shorter rides will start to break it in and get more comfortable.

Too late now though, have a seat.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I did try that mate.But as you pointed out I have overdone things.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Haven't been on my steed for four months and……’ is closed to new replies.