Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Have you ever.. (roast potato content )
  • zippykona

Had one in a restaurant that’s as good as home made?
    Even my ones are better than a proper chef’s.
    If you have and it’s in the south of England let me know.

bearnecessities

Yea, but I’ll be damned if I can remember where in the country I was working at the time. It was a cafe type thing and you bought them by the bag and just scoffed them for lunch/whatever.

Could have been Bristol or somewhere in the FoD?

ebygomm
    Free Member

No, and think you could extend that to the whole roast dinner tbh.

Rich_s

York Roast company always pretty good in the past. For home – chocolate balsamic vinegar ftw!

PrinceJohn

Some people must make pretty crappy roasts judging by the popularity of the cavery.

zilog6128

No, which is why going out for a roast is a terrible idea (especially seeing as it’s one of the easiest things to cook!)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Roast potatoes?

Seriously? Chef’s roast potatoes? Crikey…

hammyuk
    Free Member

Ginger Pig in Borough Market – unreal.
    The Carvery in Cobham Services strangely enough – really good, in a pot with gravy.

alanf
    Free Member

Had an excellent roast dinner at a pub near Thirsk a few weekends back – forget the name but it was off the road to Sutton bank – Excellent roasters and an excellent meal altogether

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve never had a roast dinner, full-stop, at a restaurant, that was as good as homemade: The meat is usually watery (and bears an uncanny resemblance to Bernard Matthews Turkey roll), the potatoes have the flavour of cotton wool, and the gravy is usually one step up from brown water.

Drac

Had some fantastic roast dinners when out but of course it doesn’t beat homemade. Can’t say I’ve experienced anything like Mikey74.

NZCol

I’m trying to recall where but I had some roasties from a wood oven which were amazing

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

You can cook them in a volcanic vent!

maccruiskeen

The trouble with having roasts when you’re eating out is nowhere is going to roast a dinner fresh to order. Roast potatoes are fantastic straight as they come out of the oven but theres quite a blunt nasty taste that starts to occur if they’re left for a while or reheated and they loose that steamy fluffiness that you get they’re freshly roasted. Same with yorkshire puds – the need to fresh right out of the oven otherwise they’re just dead and stale. Theres no excuse for the rest of the meal being bad as they rest of the dish doesn’t suffer it it needs to be kept warm between cooking and serving but those things are very difficult to serve freshly prepared.

One of my favourite places for a sunday roast if I’m eating is favourite precicely because they leave the roast potatoes out and serve mash instead. Sounds like sacrilege but no roasties is better than bad roasties.

For home – chocolate balsamic vinegar ftw!

I toss the parboiled potatoes in oil and red wine vinegar before I roast them

Stoner
    Free Member

I toss the parboiled potatoes in oil and red wine vinegar before I roast them

Interesting

I’ve usually just gone for toss/rumble in flour and roast in goose fat. Will try some vinegar one day

jamj1974

BiL used to have his own restaurant – his Sunday lunch menu was amazing! Better than my own by far and my lunches get a fair few compliments.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Have you ever.. (roast potato content )’ is closed to new replies.