• This topic has 85 replies, 68 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • have you ever lost your riding mojo?
  • jedi

as per homepage.

me, never 🙂

wwaswas

Had a wobble earlier in the week 2nd fall with bruises etc in a week and I thought why am I doing this, I’m rubbish at it.

Stoner
    Free Member

as in skillz or the incentive to ride?

Since I ride rigid SS 95% of the time, finding myself on my geared HT on some rocky trails takes a bit of reminding how to ride.

While building the barn last year, I hardly rode at all as was too knackered. Since July this year Ive been riding at least 3 or 4, sometimes 6 times a week. Every week.

terrahawk
    Free Member

yes. every October, regular as clockwork. I think it might be knackeredness and needing a rest though, rather than loss of mojo 😉

sambob
    Free Member

Maybe a little bit currently, but that coincides with me being ill so i’m not fussed. If i feel up to it I’ll be riding a Santa Cruz Tallboy on Saturday so that might reignite my fire.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have for a number of years – and thru here and thru getting the tandem found it again

weeksy

I’ve never HAD a biking mojo… it’s 50% guesswork, 49% luck, 1% skill.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Lost a bit of bottle after smashing my face in at GT once. No mojo loss after 22 years though.

Milkie
    Free Member

I lost it the last day in the Alps. Brakes didn’t feel right and I didn’t feel right on the bike. All is good, it was only one day!

Although, I don’t really think I have ever had riding Mojo… What does it feel like?

bigthunder
    Free Member

Sometimes gets a bit weak if I watch the pros too much. Reminds me Im rubbish.

rOcKeTdOg

once, but found it down the back of the sofa

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I havent ridden since sunday. Argh!

Might go out tonight but its meant to rain heavy in about 10 minutes.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Gave up being a roadie, didn’t own or ride a bike for 8 years, put on 8 stone 😯

Bought a mountain bike, started riding, lost 4 stone 😀 and love it loads! Infact, off out in a while for a 5-6 hour night out on the ss!

Houns

Lost mine about 3 years ago haven’t found it since

lunge

Yes, this year really. Lost a few mates to the road, moved house further from the trails and just stopped enjoying it as much. Actually, thinking about it, it is more the process of going that I don’t enjoy, getting the bike in the car, messing around with kit, just no fun.

I have now found the road myself and can see a new obsession coming on.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Actually, thinking about it, it is more the process of going that I don’t enjoy, getting the bike in the car, messing around with kit, just no fun.

I think thats why I dont ride my MTB as much anymore. I used to live within cycling distance of Grizedale forest, now its a bit too much of a slog on the road on the mtb, and I hate faffing about and having to drive.

lunge

davidtaylforth, I used to be within 5 mins ride of the trails, now it is nearer an hour and, right now at least, I just don’t have the desire to do it. I do love the riding once I am in the hills but the faff is just too much.

Road bike from the door just seems to work better for me at the moment.

racefaceec90

yes,at the moment in fact.it’s partly due to depression/laziness and that it is winter (even though the weather has been pretty good for november.oh and a certain game called skyrim might have something to do with it also

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yes. Had a break from 5th Oct to 11th November. My excuse?
    Having ridden 75 miles offroad round the isle of wight in a rather long nd hot day, I’d quite frankly had enough of bikes for a bit. 😡
    Been out twice since sat though. 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Road bike from the door just seems to work better for me at the moment.

Yes, thats pretty much all I ride now. Sort of got back into mtbing a couple of months ago and went to glentress and had an awesome time, but I struggle to motivate myself to spend ages pissing about just to ride my mtb on trails I have ridden hundreds of times before.

kudos100
    Free Member

For 15 years.

qwerty
    Free Member

yea, in 20 years of mtb i veered away for a year or two due to motorbikes getting in the way, and in the last 6 months i’ve probably ridden my mtb twice in anger, i’m still commuting 10 miles each way on the road though. i still potter about on a bicycle though, i guess i’m just swapping between the type of cyclist that i am, anyway, mojos – i’m struggling to see the point in putting my mtb in the car anymore, doorstep trails are where its at, but having moved i can’t be arsed to explore at the moment so that mojo is missing too, however its replaced by a pottering around on the Humu mojo which is satisfying but not as rad, chickens are receiving a disproportionate quota of mojo currently but that projects approacing completion soon to be replaced by another, mojo shifting between other stuff which ain’t bikes i guess so the mojo itself ain’t missing, just its focus on mtb i guess…… (dat make any sense??????)

imnotamused
    Free Member

Now for me too, pressure at work is a contributing factor to me starting smoking again after 6 years and am knackered when I get home and finish getting my daughter to bed. Still ride once per week/2 weeks but used to be 4 times a week. 🙁

The Mojo is still there as I still love riding, but the motivation to get out has slipped.

_tom_
    Free Member

Sort of at the minute. I’m actually riding really well at the minute, I just can’t be arsed with loading up the car/driving to get to decent locations. Always wondering whether it’s worth the bother. Saying that I had an awesome ride at Woburn today and it’s a bearable distance to drive. Played around on the “dh” runs and jumps then explored some singletrack which was loads of fun. I enjoy the ride when I get there, it’s just getting there.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Lost my mojo ages ago. I just wouldn’t ride steep technical stuff that i used to without too much bother.

can’t explain why.

Course with Ed O solved the problem.

Not loving the thought of November riding currently as I don’t feel much like getting muddy and wet but the road bike has had a few nice jaunts.

xcneil
    Free Member

yeah went out for a zone 2 session on tue based on hrt rate zone avg watts was 228 happy with that but…

went out today same zone 2 session avg watts 212 so i’m down 16 watts at the same zone 2 session and duration (oh and yes power meter had been calibrated ) so being down wattage with a cx race on sun is not good for my mental well being

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Been really on and off this year. Still done some great riding, a trip round Ben Alder was a real highlight but did struggle to get out during the crappy summer we’ve had. But not much rain recently and my local trails are riding great so I’ve been getting out two or three times a week. I love it again 😀

TheSwede
    Free Member

Yes, at the mo I really can’t be arsed to do any fitness riding. If its a mess about in the woods with the lads at the weekend, I’m well up for it but as regards night rides and xc jollys up the local hill. Meh.

transapp
    Free Member

Yep, hit a parked car in about ’99 (commute to work, hood up, head down – ****!! So stopped. Moved to Bath from leicester and didn’t sit on a bike for nearly 10 years. Found out I still like it about 2 years ago, and the local trails rock considering how close to the city centre they are. Loving it again (depsite an enforced lay off due to a broken and dislocated shoulder in late August – damn you Cannock chase!)

senorj

Every november i have a wobble. Done well this year but not ridden since Sunday also.AAAAAGGGGHHHH.
    It’s doing my head in the as the sarf east is so dry at the moment but I have to work long hours.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bully for you OP jedi.

Lots of times here, usually best to have a break.
    Or ride through it.
    Or something.

superfli
    Free Member

Yup, between 2002-2009 🙁
    Too much time spent on motorbikes, couldnt be bothered to ride anymore. So glad I’m biking again, and havent times/tech/geometry/trail centres changed!

jedi

Wtf cynical al, I’m trying to bring the poll from the home page on hhere as its interesting.
    Both skills wize or motivation wise

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Oh well, I MTFU and went out on the road bike, it was fairly warm but windy and it didnt rain. Result.

beckykirk43
    Free Member

I hope I still have my riding mojo when I get back on a bike!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sorry jedi – but can you see how your OP comes across to someone who struggles?

To me confidence when riding is really interesting psychologically.

loowcie
    Free Member

And I thought it was just me! Must be SAD kicking in? All I won’t to do is nest and gobble cake!

loowcie
    Free Member

Want even! Stollen must have gone to me head

Lost it now – did a massive ride on the road bike over the Alps and can’t be bothered with all the faff involved just to get a couple of hours mtb in after work. Love my commute though. A weekend tonic in the Lakes will do the trick I think. I have to say I’m utterly bored with Singletrack at the moment and that’s not helping – such dull interviews – I want some inspiring stuff to make me want to get out and ride, and reading about a bloke who just bought more and more extravagant bikes just made me want to cancel my subscription, “I bought an Independent Fabrication, then an Jones and cut a bit off my XTR pedals” – dullest article ever. Mind you, what other mags are any good either. I’m a miserable sod, apologies, must get the wine out.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My MTB riding to date has been a sort of ‘Slow burn’. Started just under 10 years ago, and every year I have ridden progressively more, and I can honestly say I’ve never had a time when I’ve not wanted to ride.

I’ve had many times where I’ve questioned my ability, and even more times when I’ve questioned my fitness, but never have I lost my motivation to ride trails.

I’m 36 now, and the amount of guys who I ride with who are in there 50’s, coupled with some people on the likes of here and other forums who are still doing proper riding even older than that, I know I’ll be riding for decades to come.

People at both ends of the spectrum, like Jedi, and the old guy I see out on our local trails minceing around, inspire me no ends.

Good times…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘have you ever lost your riding mojo?’ is closed to new replies.