Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Have you ever hit or nearly hit a cyclist driving a car due to your error?
  • GaryLake
    Free Member

Sorry DezB consider this me dropping it. I guess I’ve got a chip on my shoulder as in my five mile commute I get more cars give me what I consider to be too little space than I do cars that actually give me enough space.

Personally for me, if I could put my hand out and touch the car, it’s too little (if I signaled you’d take my arm off). Sadly, I could put my hand out and touch the car most of the time.

druidh
    Free Member

miketually – Member
    By jove, I think he’s got it.
    And yet the official photo on the official site seems to interpret it differently…

That car is leaving an awfully big space between itself and the bike. If it was overtaking a car leaving that much space, it’d be off the road.Do you understand the concept of at least????

DezB
    Free Member

GaryLake – Member
    Sorry DezB consider this me dropping it. I guess I’ve got a chip on my shoulder as in my five mile commute I get more cars give me what I consider to be too little space than I do cars that actually give me enough space.

Personally for me, if I could put my hand out and touch the car, it’s too little (if I signaled you’d take my arm off). Sadly, I could put my hand out and touch the car most of the time.

My commute is 15 miles and that means I probably get it 3 times as much. Which is why, when I’m driving, I respect cyclists and give them enough room 🙂

enzee199
    Free Member

I apparently had a near miss recently. Was driving down a hill I’m very familiar with. At the t-junction at the bottom of the hill I turned left- another car was parked on the corner so I had to go onto the other side to get round him. I stopped at the nearby set of lights some fella is tapping my window. I wound it down and he announces “you almost knocked me of my bike!” and told me he had had to brake to avoid a collision. I apologised and that was the end of it, but tbh it $hit me up a bit ’cause even though it was raining the fella was in a hi-vis.

My only thought was that he was obscured by the cars parked along the road he was on and as I’d had to go out onto the wrong side of the road to make the turn I’d managed to miss him. Also wondered whether there was a bit of exaggeration there as he was cycling on an slight, but long upward gradient where you cant get up much speed at all.

It brought back memories of one incident where on a long stretch of road I’d overtaken a cyclist. As a cyclist myself I gave the guy lots of room, so I was a bit surprised when having slowed in traffic he passed me making all sorts of gestures and obscenities. No idea what that was about?

I’ve also been on the flip side and been hit pretty much head on by a van whilst waiting to turn right at a T-junction. The junction is one of those stupidly wide ones and at the time had very worn markings so drivers coming off the nearby a-road routinely cut the corner. I had the sun behind me and the guy just careered into me.

spooky_b329

A couple of clips caught on my phones ‘blackbox’ recording app;

The first clip, a mountain biker on the pavement causes a ped to jump out the way and then nearly takes off my wing mirror, whilst I’m distracted and trying to straighten up the van the lorry in front stops sharpish and I have to stand on the brakes.

Second and third clips, the same car in the space of 3 minutes, overtakes a moped into oncoming traffic, then having got her confidence up, passes a cylist with less than 6 inches to spare, on a blind bend. On both overtakes, almost immediately afterwards were nice long stretches with plenty of visibility. 50mph road.

I admit they aren’t going to take your breath away, but you forget how many instances of poor driving you’ve seen when you suddenly realise you have 25 clips of near misses over just a few months. Its only a matter of time before I find I’ve video’d a smash.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEABLzIA8UY[/video]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ve hit a car driver due to their error. Once or twice.

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

Although I am a cyclist myself, last year I endangered a cyclist while driving on a narrow road. I still think about the consequences had I not missed him, and I swore then and there that in the future I would hold up traffic until it was safe to pass, no matter how many impatient drivers were behind me.

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Have you ever hit or nearly hit a cyclist driving a car due to your error?’ is closed to new replies.