Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Have you ever hit or been hit by animals/wildlife while riding?
  • woffle
    Free Member

Hit on the head by a partridge.

Wonder if it was the same one that clipped me on the head too…

busydog
    Free Member

+1 rightplacerighttime, I ran over a rattlesnake and had instant thoughts of it getting caught in the spokes and launched right into my face—-amazing how fast you can unclip and get your feet up as high as possible when the adrenaline rush hits instantly.
    Night riding in the mountains had 2 deer jump from a small ridge directly in front of me, both about 5 feet in the air–hate to think of one of those hooves imbedded on my helmet or other body parts.

jimithenomad
    Free Member

the summer before last i picked up a friend in my van as we were heading over to swinley to ride. I left the van running and helped my mate load his bike and gear into the van, we went to ride swinley our local trail and whilst on the ride i ran clean over the back of a grass snake on the trail just before dropping down a section that leads to where one of the gorrick races startlines is positioned. I felt this was unusual and do not know if i killed it or not, though i doubt it as my mate following did not see it across the trail when he came by. We enjoyed our ride, and then i took my mate home. Upon getting to his house i was greetded by his wife and neighbour who was very upset! Unknown to me the neighbours exotic breed cat had gone under the van while the engine was on, and when we got in to leave i reversed over it!!! I did not feel a thing in the van and had no idea untill our return, and to this day i always turn the engine off now when collecting my mate in the hope that if a cat has gone under the van the engine starting will spook it out again before i reverse out. My mate has 3 cats and a dog, so i have to be carefull now!

maccruiskeen

I’ve had very close calls with deer. GF got knocked of her bike by a german shepherd did more damage than when she go hit by a bus a few weeks earlier.

Friend crashed into a herd of red deer resulting in him getting his bike tangled a stag’s antlers. He wouldn’t let go of the bike, neither would the stag. Hooves. It didn’t end well. 😯

Pieface

A rabbit ran out of the grass and under my front wheel. It made a popping sound but my mate insisted I do the decent thing and make sure it was definitely dead.

Lots of frogs as well, and probably several hundred insects

mattsccm
    Free Member

Several snakes and squirrels. Lots of rabbits on my fast gravel track way home from the pub. Scary but only hit 1. Biggest scare was a pissed road ride home. long fast down hill spinning out in top, probably about to puke. “saw” some shape “ghost” across my path left to right. Then gone although maybe my right arm touched something. To sacred to stop. Spooky. Got home and found white deer arse hairs on my right jumper elbow.Culd have been messy.

jeffl

Bat flew into my face when I was riding along at dusk many years ago. Clung on for a good few seconds.

ferrit32
    Free Member

I ran over and Adder in Grizdale thinking it was a stick, went back for a look as something just didnt seem right, the wiggly fella wasnt best pleased. Suffice to say I didnt get to close.

Also took a hornet to the eye whilst riding in Kranska Gora, the little blighter got behind my glasses, luckily for me it didnt sting me before I managed to extracate him.

MrTall
    Free Member

Hit a Bee on a fast downhill on my road bike, the impact snapped the arm off my riding glasses (c.35mph).

Had a magpie fly into me on the motorbike while doing 80mph, luckily hit me on the boot (heavily padded) but still managed to bruise my foot through it. Magpie died but did not explode like a pigeon.

couldgetacarforthat
    Free Member

I got ‘buzzed’ by a buzzard but it didn’t actually hit me at Whites trail so strictly speaking doesn’t quite make this thread.

It was very scary though.

billyboy
    Free Member

Actual impact…..badgers x2.

Close calls….. deer, practically jumped over me…..squirral, ran between my wheels while I was moving….. sparrowhawk, near eyeball to eyeball coming round a wall corner…buzzard, swooped on prey two foot from me.

boxelder

Badger – glancing blow at night
    Bat- stuck in helmet vent and very freaky
    Sheep – soft for half a second then very solid
    Owl (nearly) – massive one, in Canada. Swooped out of a tree overhanging the trail at dusk + new lycra (it was the early ’90’s!)

Militant_biker

Clipped a snake – it appeared in the trail, I tried to hop it and mistimed it. Guy behind me said it moved pretty sharpish so hope no much damage was done 🙁

Plenty of dopey deer around here too. They often won’t move very fast/far so have had a few close calls on tight singletrack. It’s also pretty scary startling timid autumnal ones who move en masse across the trail at high speed.

Had a bat in the pus night riding as well. Not pleasant.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Had a Duck run right into my front wheel, i thought the bladed spokes would have had its head off but it looked ok when i saw it on my way back from work.
    Same stretch of towpath i have had a heron fly right into the side of my head.
    Herons sound rather scary up that close.

Pieface

and a dog once. I was going relatively slowly and it was paying more attention to the other dog it was playing with when it backed into my path. dog yelped but it was ok , I went over the handlers

TheFopster
    Free Member

Had an impressively useless fall last winter when a badger ran out in front of me. Instinct kicked in and without thinking I instigated the start of emergency avoidance procedure than results in you sitting dazed on your rear end in a muddy puddle with scratches everywhere…

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Have you ever hit or been hit by animals/wildlife while riding?’ is closed to new replies.