Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Have we done this? Fogle and Cracknel content
  • allthepies
    Free Member

I predict that they will fail 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

I predict there will be tears.

….probably shot with shaky camera in extreme close up.

luked2
    Free Member

I won't be impressed unless they do it on a rigid single speed.

kevonakona
    Free Member

I predict they'll get a third person then almost completely ignore them in the tie in book they will write badly.

bigyinn
    Free Member

It annoys me that people like them (no gripe with the individuals involved) are paid to do this sort of thing, whereas mere mortals like us have to fund this once in a lifetime experience out of our own pockets. Like that series that Amanda whatshername from Britains (aparently) go talent got to do 5 or 6 things she'd always fancied doing.
    Why not not give an enthusiast, rather than a semi-famous person the oppertunity to do some of the things they'd never get the chance to do?
    Oh, i forgot, this country seems to be gripped by the Cult of Celebrity and as a result its not worth viewing if it doesnt feature some celebrity.
    What happened to making interesting TV, rather than shooting fish in a barrel, formulaic, repetitive dross?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why not not give an enthusiast, rather than a semi-famous person the oppertunity to do some of the things they'd never get the chance to do?

Likelihood is an amateur could make a crap presenter.

Jamie
    Free Member

I see no mention of any charity links for the ride which seems a shame.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Likelihood is an amateur could make a crap presenter.

Mark beaumont made an excellent presenter on his cycling the americas show.

FWIW I quite like the cracknell/fogle duo, it's good telly, (even if it is shout at the telly content as per the south pole adventure) and if it inspires a few people to get out on a mountain bike then whats the harm.

Will they do it? I don't see why they couldn't – Don't forget that Cracknell is a man who likes to suffer, and Fogle is actually a strong athlete himself – they've both got the strength of mind, and isn't that half the battle in events like the great divide.

I fear there could be some dyed in the wool cyclists noses put out of joint if they did do it!

miketually
    Free Member

Cracknell and Fogle want to break the course record by completing it in 17 days.

Not a chance!

If they ride together, it's not an individual time trial, surely?

tails
    Free Member

Good luck to them. No reason they can't do it, as they have rowed the Atlantic which is slightly tougher IMO. I think they have a good chance but also reckon some more experienced cyclist will beat them.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I think they'll do it, if someone gets upset by it, I don't know why

On the plus side they'll also raise the profile of the great divide race and all those athletes that have/are undertaking it. How many members of Joe Public have an idea that such a race exists?

llama

I'm sure they will complete it. Rowing the atlantic takes 3 times as long and there is a lot less to look at. They will know what it takes mentally and thats what its all about. Be surprised if they 'break the record' though unless they are secret cyclists already.

Not got a problem with them personally or being paid. Jealous maybe.

DezB
    Free Member

I get your point bigyinn, I hate the cult of celebrity as much as anyone, but I'm quite looking forward to seeing this.
    Yes, Fogle came out of a reality programme, but Cracknell is a genuine, talented, athlete. They make for a good balance. And that certainly is a challenge they are taking on.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

One letter is only the start of it…

(quick, call Jimmy)

IanMunro
    Free Member

Lot's of cyclists are going to get their knickers in a twist if they succeed 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

My failure predication was that they won't break the course record BTW.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I think both are brilliant – Fogle was amazing on that Antartic crossing – stronger mentally than Cracknell and his other team mate. He's got proper grit. Yes he may have been an ex glossy mag editor but that doesn't mean he's not got the right stuff.

Cracknell, while super fit and talented, comes across as a bit of a selfish moaner at times.

As for why celebrities? You try getting radio and TV coverage plus raise money with a pair on unknowns – it simply won't happen.

younggeoff

Be interesting to see what happens, especially if they have any mechanical issues, I can see them geting a third person who wuill end up doing all the spannering

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Fogle was pretty slow on the Etape and that was only 81miles.

packer
    Free Member

Should make for a good programme – I'll be watching. I have no doubt they will finish the race, but I don't think they will beat the record.

cinnamon_girl

Can I be the first to lower the tone and say that if they were going to be wearing little clothing, I would most definitely be watching. 8)

Two fit blokes for sure!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Fogle was pretty slow on the Etape and that was only 81miles.

What was your time then?

samuri
    Free Member

I predict they'll fail but it won't matter because a series of middle aged women across the Uk will be watching with bated breath wanting to clasp the chap's weatherbeaten faces to their busoms.

cinnamon_girl

middle aged women across the Uk will be watching with bated breath wanting to clasp the chaps' weatherbeaten faces to their bosoms.

Oh yes 😆

A wee edit for you there! I can manage both.

GaryLake
    Free Member

But Fogle has hardly cycled at all

I was wonder about things like this… I don't consider doing the Etape "hardly cycling at all"

samuri
    Free Member

Oh yes

lol

IanMunro
    Free Member

Just looked at his twitter feed –
    "Cycled through the night across the South Downs. No sleep, soaked and covered in mud. Now off to announce Kenco young eco designer winner."

So he's doing a bit of cycling.

miketually
    Free Member

If they're aiming to finish it, they probably will.

If they're aiming to break the record they won't and they'll probably not make the finish either.

The actual race started earlier this week, so they definitely won't win that 🙂

What they must be going for is the individual timetrial record – if they ride together, whatever time they get won't count as the record anyway. When you see how little kit the fast guys carry for the race, I think it's impossible to manage a fast time while carrying camera equipment, unless they have one Flip video camera each.

druidh
    Free Member

Fogle crashed out of the Etape Caledonia on the only significant climb. He couldn't have been that fast as he set off in the first group and I passed him just after he had fallen. (4:12 if that helps)

Junkyard
    Free Member

they wont break the record 160 miles off road every day with all the kit on their bike for 17 days evan at 10 mph which is very genrous that is 16 + hours cycling per day. Determination alone wont get you through that but yes they will complete it
    6.3 mph average to break distance/time so assuming they sleep just a bit higher.

Just checked the record and the rcord holder raced it for five years starting with 21:02:47 in 06 he is the only person to break 18 days [twice] and next nearest is 18:11:13. THe course is now 36 miles longer as well so he may not have broken 18 days
    Good luck breaking the record aint going to happen

TJ the tandem record is only 18:13:50 not tempted? You and sfb could do this surely 😉

pedalhead
    Free Member

Matthew Lee is an ultra-endurance machine. I can't see them breaking his record, though I do think they'll get to the finish, barring bad luck.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

160 miles off road every day with all the kit on their bike for 17 days evan at 10 mph which is very genrous thatis 176 hours cycling per day

have I missed something with this calculation? 😉

DezB
    Free Member

TJ the tandem record is only 18:13:50 not tempted? You and sfb could do this surely