Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Have we done this? Bike chain bracelets?
  • Dangerboy
    Free Member

http://www.core77.com/blog/object_culture/ben_goulds_bike_chain_supply_chain_21773.asp#comments

Taken from the Core77 article:

The great thing about dumpster diving for materials is that you never know what you’re going to find. And the bad thing about dumpster diving for materials is…you never know what you’re going to find. For those seeking to repurpose materials, whether they’re vinyl scraps, men’s belts or even old cars, the dream is that you’re able to find a consistent source of the stuff to steady up your supply chain.

Industrial designer, Pratt grad, and veteran dumpster diver Ben Gould’s material of choice is the bike chain, and he’s found his supply source. As old chains are discarded through repairs and new chains are shortened to fit specific bicycle configurations, Gould found that “The average bike shop produces 25-40 pounds of wasted chain PER MONTH!”

While all of that chain doesn’t go into the garbage–it’s typically shipped, with an associated cost, to a recycling facility to be melted down–Gould would prefer they be shipped to him, at his own cost, so he can turn them into jewelry. To do that Gould needs a network of bike shops across the country to get on board.

The attendant LifeCycle Bracelets project set up by Gould was successfully Kickstarted this week, meaning he’s now got shipping funds and will be able to invest in the forging and electroplating equipment necessary to crank the bracelets out in volume.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Want!
    I have a silver bike-chain-alike bracelet that I wear all the time that’s quite understated. But I like that one for extra bling factor. 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

I wonder how he gets it to keep it’s shape? Elastic thread through the middle? I made this a couple of days ago…

robsoctane
    Free Member

yep, will do that with my new KMC gold 9 speed – cost as much as real gold (almost) 😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

Papadirt bought me a solid silver bike chain bracelet for our 25th Anniversary (along with other more ladylike jewellery pieces) – weighs a ton – I love it 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

Used to like the idea of it but too many emo students with them at uni, kinda put me off!

lipseal
    Free Member

I’ve made a few chain key rings. I did see someone selling them on eBay, just normal chain, for about £4 a while back that’s what gave me the idea to make my own.

TheWrongTrousers

For info, there’s a guy who makes jewellery like this and Mud Dock in Bristol sell some of his stuff. Can’t remember his name but a quick Google should suffice. A wee bit more understated than this though.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Got a mate who wears an actual bike chain round his wrist. Had it on there for a good few years now! Mainly because he needs a chain tool to take it off.

What’s worrying is the inside has actually started to wear flat and smooth!

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I have a plated bracelet made (reputedly) from a nc30 cam chain.
    I don’t wear it much. But then I don’t wear jewellery much.

wwaswas

Had it on there for a good few years now!

Yuk.

The inside of those chain links must be pretty manky with dead skin and sweat by now?

martinxyz
    Free Member

I had one on for around 6 years without removing it but a broken hand riding down Fyrish made me remove it.. only i couldnt.The doctors got pissed off and someone finally managed to pop the pin out for the xray.

I didn’t bother refitting it as its permanently changed the shape of my wrist in one place. Not to mention the rust always on my wrist.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I think they look great I want one.

rOcKeTdOg

I have a sram PC1 bracelet, have to keep it lubed or it goes rusty

iDave
    Free Member

Anyone for a beer?

thomthumb
    Free Member

saw a friend push one up his wrist in a crash; was halfway to his elbow covered in skin & flesh. nasty sight. has a 6″ scar now!

simon1975

Got a mate who wears an actual bike chain round his waist. Had it on there for a good few years now! He saved a fortune as he couldn’t get banded gastroplasty on the NHS

🙂

rootes1

didn’t rohloff do gold plated ones years back?

in fact they do a whole 114 link gold plated chain still as a ‘prize’ ite,

rOcKeTdOg

Mine has a breakaway link 8)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Have we done this? Bike chain bracelets?’ is closed to new replies.