Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Have we done the wind turbines in wild places debate yet?
  • Trekster

aye true, sticking wind farms in the middle of the cairngorms I could understand the objections, and would probably agree.

Probably why Dumfries and Galloway is being sacrificed 🙄

matt_outandabout

More likely, it’s because micro generation doesn’t work in many or most cases, the payback time is very, very long. A large turbine is so much more efficient than lots of little ones.

Aye, some do not work (small wind, PV for example); but micro and pico hydro run of river schemes work brilliantly – my employer has two, and we stand to make £250,000 per year from two access tracks (@2km long, grassing over nicely) and two large ‘garden sheds’ the size of a garage and double garage. This is in an area (Ardgour, west coast) where arguably a big wind farm would work.
    Here is the location we own, can you see the access tracks for 2x hydro schemes of 180kw total? This was the week after one was created, and it is already being replanted and covered over.

Lismore by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    On houses, water solar is a win, win, win technology as you replace heating systems or build new.

druidh
    Free Member

Trekster – Member – Quote
    Dumfries is about to see a lot more being built

Biggest issue is the number of trees being removed from these areas and not being replanted to balance out the carbon creation issue, never mind future wood supplies Aye – let’s make sure we keep the blanket plantations of non-native trees….. 😀

klumpy
    Free Member

As pieces of modern art I don’t mind ’em, generally.

But to preserve the landscape (as it is currently, natural or otherwise) we need to build incredibly energy dense facilities that aren’t overly fussy about location[1], not large fields of towering sculptures that can only produce anything at all – and then not much – when slapped in the middle of what we generally consider to be a Nice View.

[1] – We already know what that means.

djglover
    Free Member

I have a view of open moorland from my house. I would not have an issue if some when up.

Highly unlikely though as its part of the Dales NP or Nidderdale AONB…

Can’t see the residents of Ilkley allowing it either. They managed to save their railway from Beeching and are very well organised against the big supermarkets.

sbob
    Free Member

Nuclear plants take up a lot less space.
    I’m for nuclear. 🙂

duckman

aye true, sticking wind farms in the middle of the cairngorms I could understand the objections, and would probably agree.

Not much in it with the size of the new super pylons, all of which get their own access road as well,in the ‘gorms.

Trekster

Biggest issue is the number of trees being removed from these areas and not being replanted to balance out the carbon creation issue, never mind future wood supplies

Aye – let’s make sure we keep the blanket plantations of non-native trees…..

I just see it as a crop, the same as farmers growing rapeseed or maize now instead of or as well as the run of the mill grain crops.

Macavity
    Free Member
    druidh
    Free Member

By Rosamund McDougall
    Co-chair of the Optimum Population Trust 2002-2005

The UK is made up of four constituent countries – England, Scotland, Wales and
    Northern Ireland. Together, this territory is one of the most crowded areas in
    the world
    Lots of free space in a free Scotland…..

br
    Free Member

Take away the subsidy for nuclear too, then what will we do?

Have no electricity…

bigjim

A lot of power companies are looking at run of river hydro now, but don’t think it is without environmental impact – it is really bad news for fish and invertebrates, and anything that relies on these, like otters (had to include some charismatic megafauna in there for anyone to care about it 😉 )

bigjim

Biggest issue is the number of trees being removed from these areas and not being replanted to balance out the carbon creation issue, never mind future wood supplies

Most if not all the forests affected will be commercial plantations of alien species which are just a crop and would be felled anyway. Keyhole turbine location is often used despite this though.

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

Here’s us riding around some turbines

I love the turbines. They’re presently putting more in. Good. I can’t see people objecting on the view-spoiling front as its a northern post-industrial landscape full of disused quarries and derelict mills

My local ride, I believe. Scout Moor?

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Have we done the wind turbines in wild places debate yet?’ is closed to new replies.