Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Have we done that hit and run on the BBC site yet?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

this one?

Absolutely astounded. Is the defence to all RTAs nowadays to deny you were driving? This is absolute horse poo of the highest order.

stumpy01

Eeek!

I guess this complicates matters:

?Nottinghamshire Police said the investigating officer established the car was a hire vehicle that had been sub-leased through a number of different companies

but something should be in place to deal with hire cars so the Police can find out who was driving.

nickjb
    Free Member

Does sound a bit like “It was hard so we gave up”. Surely if it is leased to an individual then they should be easy to trace, and if it is a company car then there is some liability on the company?

tpbiker
    Free Member

The officer traced a man and a woman who were eligible to drive the car, so could have been driving on that day. The man and woman were issued with a formal request to provide the driver’s details, but did not respond

The narrowed it down to 2 people. How hard would it have been to estalish the whereabouts of each at the time of the crash..

And if neither owned up then charge them both with obstructing justice…

6 points and a £150 quid fine is a farce.

belugabob
    Free Member

Prosecute the company for not keeping correct records – make them liable for the actions of the person who they failed to properly manage.

verses

Not that I’m firing up the pitchfork or anything but would it be possible to ID the 2 people from the court records? Or are they not made public?

BoardinBob

Sorry, but that’s attempted murder. A deliberate attack with a 2 tonne lump of metal. That was no accident. It was completely deliberate. I can’t help but feel with these cases, the fact that it’s a cyclist that’s the victim, creates a certain stigma. We are simply seen as a nuisance and inferior.

Put it this way, if the vehicle had been clocked at 100mph+ through a speed camera, would the police etc have said they couldn’t work out who was driving. Absolutely farcical.

just5minutes
    Free Member

Nottingham Police have form on this – they failed to detect the driver of a fatal hit and run 2 years ago for similar reasons.

nickjb
    Free Member

The officer traced a man and a woman who were eligible to drive the car

Surely one of them was driving and one of them knows the other one was driving. Both should be in trouble and ideally in prison.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

is there no way to work the video to get a better image of the driver?

Thats horrific!

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Is there no way we as a collective could pressure the police into taking this flyer on behalf of the poor chap who was hit it spam the fubar out of there Facebook page calling them incompetent and maybe letter through the post shit loads of them make are shelfs a right thorn in there side till they get on with there jobs correctly.

STATO
    Free Member

Sorry, but that’s attempted murder. A deliberate attack with a 2 tonne lump of metal. That was no accident. It was completely deliberate.

Really? So you have proof it was done with intent and not just very dangerous driving.

Surely one of them was driving and one of them knows the other one was driving. Both should be in trouble and ideally in prison.

It was a hire car to a company by the sounds of it, entirely possible a 3rd person was using it illegally. Sadly the case just shows there is no capability for the police to work cases properly, the company should be getting investigated and potential drivers being chased up until the evidence is found or a comparable level of charge can be brought against the company/individuals leasing it.

Hasnt a thread about this incident come up before anyway?

kimbers

Nitts police cut 40 million a year for the last 3 years, they probably just don’t have the resources

richmtb

I saw Bez tweet this a couple of days ago.

Its absolutely shocking.

The incident is bad enough but the failure of the police to follow it up is just ridiculous.

It definitely seems like it too much hassle for them

cokie

If the driver had killed the rider, what would happen?
    Would they still have the same attitude? If not, why not?

I wonder if the driver was messing with the computer settings (being a hire car) and failed to see the cyclist. They hit the cyclist as if he wasn’t there.

Klunk
    Free Member

As a result, the prosecution for failing to stop and failing to report was discontinued. The 52-year-old man, from Nottingham, received six penalty points and a £150 fine for failing to provide driver details

could easily solve this by making punishment for “failing to provide driver details” the same as if they committed the offense.

BoardinBob

Really? So you have proof it was done with intent and not just very dangerous driving.

Did you watch the video????

TheBrick
    Free Member

I witnessed a hit and run in s.e london a few years ago, followed the car and got a numberplate. Turned out it was a company can and supprise supprise they (the company) could not work out who was driving.

As someone up there said, if it 100mph through a speed cammera would the police except that argument?

teasel
    Free Member

Did you watch the video????

I think what Stato is trying to point out is that there isn’t any evidence that it was a deliberate ram as you can’t see the driver. It could easily have been a very dangerous bit of texting whilst driving or similar instead of a deliberate assault.

Scary shit, though…

Edit :

is there no way to work the video to get a better image of the driver?

That was my thought after watching but I have to assume the investigating officer had already tried that approach or deemed it worthless/impossible.

bails

The man and woman were issued with a formal request to provide the driver’s details, but did not respond

Nottingham’s finest outwitted by criminal masterminds.

“Can you tell us who to prosecute, pretty please?”

“No”

“OK, thanks for your time.”

I doubt attempted murder would ever be a realistic charge, given the lack of evidence of intent to kill. However, gbh/abh should be possible. The driver knew the cyclist was there or he’d have been run over at the roundabout.

If i walked behind someone with a hammer and after twenty seconds smashed their skull in then I’d be in serious trouble. Shouldn’t be any different with a car.

Leku
    Free Member

Shouldn’t the penalty for not providing the details of who was driving be far worse that the actual offence? Treat it like contempt of court?

I though with drunk driving failing to give a sample was treated harsher than failing the actual test?

ads678

Absolutely shocking. Can’t believe the police are so inept/couldn’t give a shit.

Pathetic.

MSP

iirc, it was Nottingham police who blamed the cyclist when some thugs jumped out of a car at the back of a funeral procession and beat a cyclist up, even though the attack was caught on camera.

MoreCashThanDash

I suspect the Police are as frustrated as we are, but have limited time and resources. Perverting the course of justice should be thrown at the company and the possible drivers.

Would it be corporate manslaughter if he’d died and no individual could be identified?

Isn’t this what PCCs were elected to be accountable for?

avdave2

When my Dad was a magistrate he had a case of a husband and wife who could not say which of them was driving when a speeding offence occurred. Both had been using the car at around the same time in the same area on the day of the offence. Neither tried to deny it was them, both said it could well of been them but neither could they say it was them for sure as they had no recollection of the incident itself. As they said as well if one of them had elected to take the blame then that would have been perjury.
    The result was that they paid a hefty for not being able to provide the drivers details but neither received points on their licence.

MSP

I suspect the Police are as frustrated as we are,

I really don’t think they are.

compass81

The point needs to be made that it was the CPS and NOT the police that discontinued this prosecution. They are a completely separate entity and one that officers struggle with daily to get them to prosecute offences. I can guarantee you that officers want offenders to have their day in court as much as anyone.
    The officer interviewed and summonsed the suspects for the appropriate offences (due care could have been added but given the other offences carry higher penalties so there would have been no additional penalty). Personally I would have loved to stick the driver on for dangerous driving but if you have ever tried to get that passed a CPS lawyer you will know that would never happen

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Can you get polarized filters for SJ4000’s and GoPros?
    Getting an image of the driver seems key.

I work in computer vision type stuff (for road safety systems on cars) and someone here previously did a phd on removing or enhancing reflections and stuff on windows. Wonder if we could get hold of the original footage…

We usually tend to work with raw image data though as compression algorithms on gopros are designed to remove exactly the sort of information we use.

keithd
    Free Member

No CCTV in Nottingham they could check? Surely the car must have driven through a camera prior to the incident.

billyboy
    Free Member

If we elect people who don’t give a shit, it is hardly surprising that the systems they have governance over will fail like this.

nickjb
    Free Member

Worth chasing the PCC?

Write to the Commissioner:

Nottinghamshire Police and Crime Commissioner
    Arnot Hill House
    Arnot Hill Park
    Arnold
    Nottingham
    NG5 6LU

Email or Call the Commissioner or for General Enquiries:

Telephone: 0115 844 5998
    Email: nopcc@nottinghamshire.pnn.police.uk

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The BBC have cut the video short. The full clip shows that the car first appears behind the cyclists well before the roundabout – the cyclist is riding in primary for 50 seconds before the collision.

So the driver of the vehicle has known there was a cyclist in front of them for nearly a minute, neither they nor the cyclist have changed lanes in that time, there are 5 seconds between the Volvo straightening up to leave the roundabout and the collision. The car doesn’t appear to make any attempt to move to pass the cyclist at all – even if the cyclist had been hugging the kerb they’d still have hit him.

Really difficult to understand how that could be in any way accidental. Then you consider that they didn’t stop.

GrahamS

Looks like two people in the car to me.

Watch the video carefully (full screen, HD)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ua92cASvgw[/video]

At 0:23 and 0:30 I see a hand being raised (probably in a “WTF” gesture), first by the passenger then by the driver.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The Nottinghamshire Police ought to be collectively ashamed of themselves for this. Six points and a £150 fine closes the case, but allows whoever was driving to get off with a slap on the wrist.

Given that neither person in the car confessed to driving, there’s a clear case of perverting the course of justice here.

ferrals
    Free Member

@Graham S

Can’t see the second but definately the first from the passenger. good spot. This needs to be investiageted further.

cokie

Is it possible to request the case file from the CPS under the Freedom of Information Act? Would this give the name of the driver/people involved?
    Just curious.

dannyh
    Free Member

A bit like the foreign lorry that wasn’t (at the time it caused a car accident that I was involved in) required to have the same reg plate on the trailer as on the cab, thus making it too difficult for Nottinghamshire police to investigate even though they had footage of the incident.

The guy just carried on driving despite having practically run his trailer over the top of this poor woman’s hatchback before it was finally spat out right into my path – luckily I had slowed to about 20mph, so it didn’t even set the air bag off.

The police said there was no way that he wouldn’t have been aware of what he had done from the amount of slewing and bouncing that the trailer did.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Perhaps it’s worth taking the local MP to task over this?

avdave2

I can guarantee you that officers want offenders to have their day in court as much as anyone.

If only it were true, I’m currently reading Nick Davies account of the phone hacking carried out by News International. The police in that case were complicit in the denial of justice by withholding evidence and at very senior levels. That none of them ended up in prison is an utter disgrace.

martinhutch

s it possible to request the case file from the CPS under the Freedom of Information Act? Would this give the name of the driver/people involved?
    Just curious.

Sadly not. But if the ‘failing to provide’ offence went to court, those details should be publically available.

Police know there were two in the car:

“While we share the victim’s disappointment at the outcome, we feel the investigating police officer made every effort to ensure that the occupants of the car were found and brought before the courts,” the force said in a statement.

Blaming them is also a bit harsh – they summonsed the pair of them for various charges, CPS then decided it wasn’t going any further.

It would be lovely to get the pair of them into court on a conspiring to pervert the course of justice charge, just for the publicity and to make them sweat, even if they would most likely get off if they stuck to their story.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Have we done that hit and run on the BBC site yet?’ is closed to new replies.